• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Tired of waiting...

TheGM    0

I bought a Lenovo Y550 Ideapad a few months ago with Vista and applied for the Windows 7 upgrade. It's now been nearly 2 months after the October 22nd Windows 7 launch date, when they were supposed to start shipping. Lenovo still hasn't shipped it even though they promise it should be soon. There's just been too many delays.

So my question is that if I can somehow "obtain" a copy of Windows 7; will I be able to use it unactivated on the trial until I get a licence from Lenovo? Will the Lenovo licence even work on the Windows 7 I "obtain" or will it only work on the disc they are supposed to send me?

the_architect    2

I suggest you wait for them to "ship" it to you. Have you given them a call and asked about it?

TheGM    0
I suggest you wait for them to "ship" it to you. Have you given them a call and asked about it?

I've waited 2 months now since the time they were supposed to ship it. It supposedly is suppose to arrive by mid January, but I want Windows 7 now, **** it. Anyway, back to the OP. Would it work if I did it that way?

hdood    145
So my question is that if I can somehow "obtain" a copy of Windows 7; will I be able to use it unactivated on the trial until I get a licence from Lenovo?

It is not a trial. It is the activation grace period, a feature for paying customers.

The upgrade key won't activate a retail install (if they send you an upgrade version rather than a full one, I don't know what they do), because it checks for a registry key set by the installer after it verifies that you have a previous installation. You can add this yourself, and there are probably guides out there that describe it.

I think that's about all the help you're going to get, as what you are asking is against the law and the forum rules.

TheGM    0
It is not a trial. It is the activation grace period, a feature for paying customers.

The upgrade key won't activate a retail install (if they send you an upgrade version rather than a full one, I don't know what they do), because it checks for a registry key set by the installer after it verifies that you have a previous installation. You can add this yourself, and there are probably guides out there that describe it.

I think that's about all the help you're going to get, as what you are asking is against the law and the forum rules.

I'm not sure what they send me, but it does allow for a clean install if that means anything. That is what I intend to do.

I am a paying customer, I'm supposed to receive a copy of Windows 7, one that according to them I would receive within 2 weeks of the launch date. All I want to do is do a clean install of Windows 7, use the grace period and then enter the key I paid for. I'm not looking into trying to get around activation or apply cracks, I'm looking to use the grace period until I can enter my legitame licence.

Edited by TheGM

+jamesyfx    362

Don't expect quick delivery with these Windows 7 Upgrades - they're issuing lots and lots of them so it will take some time to get to you. Plus all the couriers and delivery services re swamped by Christmas deliveries, and the lack of staff also has an effect.

You're just going to have to wait until it arrives and stay with Vista for now, I'm afraid. The only way to obtain a copy of Windows 7 is to obtain it illegally or to buy it.

But regardless,

Yeah. It will work.

hdood    145
I'm not sure what they send me, but it does allow for a clean install if that means anything. That is what I intend to do.

It doesn't mean anything. The upgrade versions allow clean installs as well (it checks for previous installs before formatting). Someone else would have to answer what Lenovo sends.

I am a paying customer, I'm supposed to receive a copy of Windows 7, one that according to them I would receive within 2 weeks of the launch date. All I want to do is do a clean install of Windows 7, use the grace period and then enter the key I paid for.

It doesn't become any less illegal just because you don't want to wait for Lenovo to send you what you've ordered.

I'm not looking into trying to get around activation or apply cracks, I'm looking to use the grace period until I can enter my legitame licence.

It doesn't matter, you're still breaking the law.

TheGM    0
It doesn't mean anything. The upgrade versions allow clean installs as well (it checks for previous installs before formatting). Someone else would have to answer what Lenovo sends.

It doesn't become any less illegal just because you don't want to wait for Lenovo to send you what you've ordered.

It doesn't matter, you're still breaking the law.

I'm aware that it's technically illegal. I have waited for Lenovo to send me the disk, for nearly three months now. I've paid for Windows 7, they didn't hold up to their original ship date (or their second or third target dates too). Either way I'll have a legitimate copy eventually, this way just requires less of a wait.

I'd even willing to buy Windows 7 even though I qualified for the upgrade plan, but since I had to pay $27 in shipping and handling for the "free" upgrade that I'm going to get, I'm reluctant to do that. I just keep telling myself they're supposed to ship it soon, but they keep delaying it. I'm stuck waiting; how long am I supposed to wait? If I had known this is how it would turn out I would have opted to buy Windows 7 over my "free" upgrade.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So can anyone say whether it will work? Couple of different answers in this thread. They're shipping me a Windows 7 Home Premium OEM X64 Upgrade disk. I now have "MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM RTM X64 OEM ENGLISH DVD". Will the Lenovo licence work when I get it?

TheGM    0

So can anyone say whether it will work? Couple of different answers in this thread. They're shipping me a Windows 7 Home Premium OEM X64 Upgrade disk. I now have "MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM RTM X64 OEM ENGLISH DVD". Will the Lenovo licence work when I get it?

Anyone?

TheGM    0

Shadrack    601

So what is a couple more? Do you want more people to give you a specific answer? Maybe nobody knows for sure.

My guess is probably not since it sounds like you installed with the full retail disc and are receiving an upgrade key.

If what the OP says is true, then I would argue he isn't breaking the law. Or maybe he is, hell I don't know! I'm not a lawyer, are you?

Lets say you have a valid Windows retail box. Its brand-spanking-new straight from Newegg or Amazon or whoever you like to buy online from. It has a KEY in it. You pop the disc in and it doesn't read. You try another computer and it doesn't read. The disc is officially ****ed. If you download the disc and use your legally obtained KEY which is your part of the license are you still breaking the law?

TheGM    0
So what is a couple more? Do you want more people to give you a specific answer? Maybe nobody knows for sure.

My guess is probably not since it sounds like you installed with the full retail disc and are receiving an upgrade key.

If what the OP says is true, then I would argue he isn't breaking the law. Or maybe he is, hell I don't know! I'm not a lawyer, are you?

Lets say you have a valid Windows retail box. Its brand-spanking-new straight from Newegg or Amazon or whoever you like to buy online from. It has a KEY in it. You pop the disc in and it doesn't read. You try another computer and it doesn't read. The disc is officially ****ed. If you download the disc and use your legally obtained KEY which is your part of the license are you still breaking the law?

Well, I haven't done it yet. I can't find a copy that identifies itself as an upgrade. I just see general suff like Windows 7 Home Premiun X64.

soldier1st    40

try emailing them again and no resolve then go buy windows 7 upgrade and install that with the key you get then email lenova and request a refund but if no resolve then you will either need to cut your loses and run or you will need to wait but if you wanna go the illegal way then your on your own.

shc-boomer    0

Call them up and be nice for a bit, then if they deflect your questions, get mad but don't insult them ever. Get them to see it from your point of view and they will quickly ship out a copy to you.

hdood    145
If you download the disc and use your legally obtained KEY which is your part of the license are you still breaking the law?

Yes. The contents of the DVD is protected by copyright. The key is irrelevant. The key is a license to use the product, not to obtain or distribute copies of it. This is not a gray area.

Raa    1,563

There are only TWO (legal) options you can take :

1) Wait for the disc from Lenovo and use it.

2) Purchase your own now and use it.

You can NOT discuss any other "option" here on Neowin, as per the rules.

PurePhoenix    0

Actually, no. You're not. You're allowed to have a backup copy of legitimately purchased software in the U.S.

Australia you're not, but you're paying for a LICENSE anyway not the disc.

You purchased the license when you paid for windows, your key is proof, you're entitled to use any disc you want or need to use to get it installed - as long as your legitimate key is used to activate your legitimately purchased license.

@HDood; wrong. You legally own the disc & license & key, the disc is never copyrighted, it's the software on the disc that is copyrighted.

@Raa; he can legimately use someone elses' upgrade disc with his upgrade key. Granted, it's more "Proper" to actually use an original upgrade disc that you borrowed from someone else, but you're equally as legally entitled to use a copy with your key.

nabz0r    146

Dude, all you can is just WAIT for your copy. When we order Win 7 upgrade it takes too dam long time to get the copy and the costumers drives us crazy by calling 24/7. But as ppl say here is just wait for your copy. :-)

Hope you get it as soon as possible

hdood    145
@HDood; wrong. You legally own the disc & license & key, the disc is never copyrighted, it's the software on the disc that is copyrighted.

Uh? Are you responding to this post?

Yes. The contents of the DVD is protected by copyright.

SyntaxError    26
Yes. The contents of the DVD is protected by copyright. The key is irrelevant. The key is a license to use the product, not to obtain or distribute copies of it. This is not a gray area.

Actually no, it's not illegal nor a violation of Microsoft's EULA to use a copied Microsoft product disc as long as you own a legit serial for that product. Technically this means you have to have the actual CoA sticker on your computer case.

I've built several computers for people and bought just XP Pro OEM CoA stickers for their computers with no discs at all to save them money. I then provided each of my customers with a copy of my own disc which can't be altered.

I had to explain to my customers what I was doing of course, as most people don't know how this works.

I had to buy the CoA stickers with various pc parts, not just by themselves, to be considered an OEM builder, but it's definitely not illegal to use a copied Windows or other MS product disc, as long as you own a legit serial for it.

This is part of what it means to be an OEM builder.

And technically, you only have to build one computer to be considered an OEM builder.

The serial key is your proof of purchase.

So yes, if you own a legit serial already and don't have the media for whatever reason, there's nothing in the law preventing you from obtaining a copy somehow.

Do yourself a favor though and find a friend with MSDN\TechNet access and get a copy that way. Or just wait for Lenovo to get their house in order.

BTW, $27 to ship a single disc? WTF? Is it coming from Mars?

hdood    145
The serial key is your proof of purchase.

So yes, if you own a legit serial already and don't have the media for whatever reason, there's nothing in the law preventing you from obtaining a copy somehow.

You are quite simply as wrong as it is possible to get. You need explicit permission for it to not be copyright violation, and Microsoft does not give this. The key is a license to use the copy you have legally obtained. For this guy, there is no alternative way to legally obtain it, period. A lot of people seem to think that copyright law cares about product keys, but it does not. It only cares that the rights holder has given his explicit permission (which again, Microsoft does not do.)

Do yourself a favor though and find a friend with MSDN\TechNet access and get a copy that way. Or just wait for Lenovo to get their house in order.

TechNet does not contain upgrade media (if that is what Lenovo delivers).

SyntaxError    26

In the OP's case, it would indeed be illegal for him to obtain a copy of Win7 now since he doesn't have a CoA for it in his possession.

And I know MSDN/Technet doesn't have upgrade copies. I was merely suggesting that IF he were going to "obtain" a copy, then he should at least get it from the only truly reliable source there is, so as to avoid altered or infected iso files.

You can argue against the OEM builder rules all you want, it won't change the reality of it.

hdood    145
In the OP's case, it would indeed be illegal for him to obtain a copy of Win7 now since he doesn't have a CoA for it in his possession.

Even if he had one, it would still be illegal.

You can argue against the OEM builder rules all you want, it won't change the reality of it.

Nothing in this thread has anything to do with system builder licensing, although you're still wrong about that as well. It actually does not say you can just copy a DVD/CD and give it to your customers. Where does it say that? It doesn't. If you provide physical media at all, you have to provide original Microsoft discs. If you don't, you can provide a recovery partition, but never your own media.

Raa    1,563

Let's not forget that IF you did have a Technet sub, that license is for testing purposes only. And it can't be used as an upgrade AFAIK. (Not tested)

hdood is correct on that point, you may NOT supplied copied media. You need to give an original disc, or a use a hardloaded partition. I do the latter for my customers.

TheGM    0

Gave in, and just bought Windows 7 Ultimate Full at my University's Campus Store for $30. I never even bothered asking about the price earlier because I was expecting Lenovo to actually ship within a decent amount of time.

I've talked to people with PC's from other manufactures and most had their upgrades shipped within a week of launch and for free. F*** Lenovo and their $27 S&H charge to ship from California to Texas (Using UPS's cheapest delivery option which involves USPS delivering the last leg.)

Now what to do with that Lenovo upgrade whenever it ends up coming, hopefully before the next version of Windows hits. :/