Halo Reach Thread

For those of you wanting Heat in the Pipe. Just do whatever has said (Invincible, Unlimited Ammo w/o reloading) and turn skulls on for all three rounds. But also, go in and where it says Sqaud: Random, change it to Ordered (which will be selections below you. Fill it up with the top notch Elite, Hunter, and Brute (lowest points) teams and you'll easily be pulling in around 1.5k points for one kill. Took me 45 minutes, to do the full 1mill this way. I also, changed my loadout to rocket default and just spamm'd that on Corvette. I also turned off dropship so they would come faster and through doors, where I could shoot a few rockets to take 'em out quickly. Shouldn't get past the 3rd set (maybe 4th).

Finished game on Legendary (co-op). Game played is 8 hours, but that's including a 30 minute power snack, where we just left the game running and we also did all the achievements for each level (having to restart some for 'em). It wasn't hard at all (duo). Mostly just rushed through it, only a few parts had to stop to think. Solo, should be a walk in the park and should take roughly the same time. The story was meh. Much better than 3's but not as good as CE. Enjoyable though.

MP so far has been great, nobody hogging one weapon (hello BR), but that could change in the next few weeks. Score attack (solo firefight, one set on heroic to get a high score to compete with friends) is pretty fun. Map selection is kind of blah. Glad Forgeworld is so great, but 6 maps all with the same look is just boring and being re-makes of previous maps (albeit good ones) doesn't do much for me.

All in all, game is good and a improvement over 3. I'm enjoying it and i'll be playing as long as it takes me to get all achievements (only have 4 left and three of those are timely ones) and maybe longer.

I'd recommend it to anyone, though I'll admit going on 36 hours of no sleep, isn't a great way to do campaign solo.

Also, if anyone has a link to a source that tells ya all the ranks in Reach. I'd greatly appreciate it. People are saying Captain is max rank, which means one achievement will become entirely time-consuming.

The legendary edition comes with something called a falcon, from the icon I'm assuming it's a prop, but no idea how to get it, it's jot showing in the avatar props section, or game awards, any ideas?

*edit- apparently I had to start up reach and download it through there

FutureShop here had a massive lineup this morning so later on I went to Wal Mart, they hadn't sold any lol. Picked up the Limited version, love the field notes and the diary, everything looks really authentic!

Why did you sell your 360? You should have kept it.

It was one of the launch models that I found on craigslist for $20. (Cables and all, working, NO hdd tho) and it was really loud. Family wanted the Wii so I traded it with a guy.

I am but I'm already finishing up level 9 right now.. I will be doing co-op on Legendary once I finish it up solo though.

http://justin.tv/illcupcakes -- I die a lot in campaign cos I honestly don't care, lol. :)

Awesome. I'll be watching that channel. Thanks Cupcakes, btw how are you feeling?

So I just am checking out the SP real quick, and I am really surprised there has been no mention at all about how sluggish the graphics get at times. I mean just the first cutscene, the frame rate really was dipping pretty bad. I also forgot how annoying Halo is with the loading, going from one checkpoint to another is at times just really not smooth at all. Literally before, nothing going on screen at all, just walking from one area to another, my game just froze for a good 3 seconds, if not longer, it was long enough to make me think that my 360 locked up, then it finally kicked in and said checkpoint loaded.

I know that is always how it has been with Halo loading, but in this day and age of FPS's, I really thought that was an issue that was in the past. I also definitely notice when there is a lot of action on screen, the frame rate definitely suffers as a result (with that said, the visuals are noticeably the best in the series, but still). So not sure if it is just the bias the gaming world seems to have towards Halo and as such these technical issues just do not get mentioned and/or are considered okay because it is Halo, but I really do think considering how prevalent they seem to be, I would have seen at least one mention of it by now.

Perhaps it is because I do not hold the game on such a high pedestal, I am just prone to notice these things more than the people who have really looked forward to it, but I am definitely noticing them. It is either that, or my 3rd 360 is about to die, as it really seems to be obviously struggling. :iiam:

So I just am checking out the SP real quick, and I am really surprised there has been no mention at all about how sluggish the graphics get at times. I mean just the first cutscene, the frame rate really was dipping pretty bad. I also forgot how annoying Halo is with the loading, going from one checkpoint to another is at times just really not smooth at all. Literally before, nothing going on screen at all, just walking from one area to another, my game just froze for a good 3 seconds, if not longer, it was long enough to make me think that my 360 locked up, then it finally kicked in and said checkpoint loaded.

I know that is always how it has been with Halo loading, but in this day and age of FPS's, I really thought that was an issue that was in the past. I also definitely notice when there is a lot of action on screen, the frame rate definitely suffers as a result (with that said, the visuals are noticeably the best in the series, but still). So not sure if it is just the bias the gaming world seems to have towards Halo and as such these technical issues just do not get mentioned and/or are considered okay because it is Halo, but I really do think considering how prevalent they seem to be, I would have seen at least one mention of it by now.

Perhaps it is because I do not hold the game on such a high pedestal, I am just prone to notice these things more than the people who have really looked forward to it, but I am definitely noticing them. It is either that, or my 3rd 360 is about to die, as it really seems to be obviously struggling. :iiam:

I noticed the same thing but I have been playing mostly PC games recently so I thought it was just the difference going from smooth 60fps to the varying 20-30fps that console games usually run at. When you say it goes to black between checkpoints do you mean after cut scenes or for all checkpoints? I haven't had trouble with checkpoints but there is a gap now after cut scenes that is kind of disappointing. One thing that Halo always did well was keep you in the action and transition well between the minimal cut scenes and the game play. The fade to black and then delay before game play and the fact that they there are cut scenes that last way too long with you in the action but not able to control anything (

i.e. The elite's ambushing you in the second stage

) diverges from their old formula :(

I noticed the same thing but I have been playing mostly PC games recently so I thought it was just the difference going from smooth 60fps to the varying 20-30fps that console games usually run at. When you say it goes to black between checkpoints do you mean after cut scenes or for all checkpoints? I haven't had trouble with checkpoints but there is a gap now after cut scenes that is kind of disappointing. One thing that Halo always did well was keep you in the action and transition well between the minimal cut scenes and the game play. The fade to black and then delay before game play and the fact that they there are cut scenes that last way too long with you in the action but not able to control anything (

Yeah, that part

you put in spoilers seemed so odd to me, I kept moving the controller thinking I could at the very least control the camera, but no dice.

And for the cutscenes, it is doing the same thing as you with a gap and a fade to black. Also the cut-scenes really just run super, super sluggish, Like they really seem to be struggling to render them out. I obviously do not know the exact FPS, but it is well under 30. Well under.

And to clarify, what I am experiencing with the checkpoints is not the screen going black, but just a good old fashioned lock up, were I can see everything, but not do anything (move, etc.), it just hangs (freezes) and then a few seconds later it kicks in and says checkpoint loaded. It just does not seem to be optimized all that well at all.

I too have also been doing way more PC gaming lately as well, so I guess it is just a result of that. And as I have said in other threads when this topic has been mentioned, I do believe I have a slightly more keen eye then most when it comes to steady FPS, so I think I am just a bit more prone to notice it then others.

It does not necessarily kill the experience, it is however noticeable.

Oh well, not a deal breaker by any means, I guess I just expected a bit more polish and overall smoothness is all.

I recommend installing to the drive, but it may just be the game's sheer number of enemies/particle hitting the console hard. If install doesn't fix it I'm sure Bungie will put out an update that should help.

It was one of the launch models that I found on craigslist for $20. (Cables and all, working, NO hdd tho) and it was really loud. Family wanted the Wii so I traded it with a guy.

[snip]

I understand. I have 2 of Xbox 360s... I may get a Wii or PS3 at later on.

Will somebody please (with an HD) take a screenshot of the main REACH screen, we're not on an HDTV right now nor can we take a screen. We're wanting this for a background for computer screen(s).

So I just am checking out the SP real quick, and I am really surprised there has been no mention at all about how sluggish the graphics get at times.

A lot of us have mentioned it, as have quite a few reviews (Y) Yeah, it is extremely annoying at times. It doesn't kill the game, but there are some obvious issues. I really hope they get fixed. (N)

Well finally got the game today.. played it through in one sitting.. from 1pm to right now (so about 7 hours on normal). Even on normal this is probably the only Halo that was challenging. Overall it wasn't a bad game but there aren't any real twists or turns. What we knew happened.

Overall the game ended and I was really disappointed at the ending.

First of all let me say a few things about the campaign. I think they really kind of cheated with the death of spartans. Jorge dies so stupidly and I really didn't feel a single thing. It was so sudden and unemotional. I don't know. Just wasn't really great.

Kat, dies with a sniper shot. Okay, that was a bit of a shocking moment and I felt bad. I felt most emotions about Kat and Noble 1 because they were the ones who actually had communication and talked the most in the game. We connect with them. Those 2 deaths were really done to get to us. One heroic and one shocking.. I didn't really feel emotional even when Noble 6 dies in the end. It was just stupid.

Here's my beef. I really expected Noble 6 to be master chief. The only one who survives and becomes master chief. Actually I wouldn't mind the way it ended for the whole Spartan team if we at least saw how Master Chief got into the whole thing. I really expected Reach to end where Halo begins and we see how Master Chief looks like in this new engine. I would be up cheering if I saw him at the end of this game.

But no.. it ended so plainly. Nothing. No bang, no master chief, nothing. Kortana is on board of Pillar of Autumn and that's it.

To be honest, what was the whole point of Kortana saying how she chose Noble 6. Chose for what? Wasn't that the thing about master chief. Kortana chose him. So natural assumption was that Noble 6 ends up being master chief.

Whatever the case, i really expected to see master chief and how he gets into the events of Halo 1.

I was really disappointing. Campaign felt more like preparation for Firefight than story based thing and homage to previous Halo games.

Will somebody please (with an HD) take a screenshot of the main REACH screen, we're not on an HDTV right now nor can we take a screen. We're wanting this for a background for computer screen(s).

If you can wait a little bit I can take it later. It will be 720p only though since I don't use 1080.

Can't right now since I'm streaming so it'll have to wait until I take a break from JTV or just after I stop.

If you can wait a little bit I can take it later. It will be 720p only though since I don't use 1080.

Can't right now since I'm streaming so it'll have to wait until I take a break from JTV or just after I stop.

That would be perfect, I'd be happy to wait. Thank you.

Well finally got the game today.. played it through in one sitting.. from 1pm to right now (so about 7 hours on normal). Even on normal this is probably the only Halo that was challenging. Overall it wasn't a bad game but there aren't any real twists or turns. What we knew happened.

Really? I'm halfway through on normal (only played it a few hours), and I don't find it even remotely challenging compared to the other Halo games. I have never even attempted to go solo Legendary on any of them, but I think it's doable on this one, honestly.

Really? I'm halfway through on normal (only played it a few hours), and I don't find it even remotely challenging compared to the other Halo games. I have never even attempted to go solo Legendary on any of them, but I think it's doable on this one, honestly.

Well it was harder because Covenant are much more precise even on Normal.. it happened to me like 20 times where Elites or Brutes throw a grenade from like a mile and it lands at my feet or sticks to me.

Hehe yea, the loading can be a bit annoying. You get into matchmaking, you vote for map, it appears to load, then you get your countdown to... another load.. player list eventually pops up, a bit more loading... countdown again, PLAY!

I wasn't really wowed by its visuals myself. /shrugs

Man if it weren't for friends being big Halo fans and actually being good at its MP, I wouldn't be able to stand it for more than a couple matches.. The MP is just not my type of competitive fps. It can take a full clip and a melee shot to kill one person most the time. The control scheme is taking me longer than usual to get used to. That's odd considering how basic they are too.

I'm definitely the BF/CoD type. I am going to give it a chance. I played Halo 1-3 just for its SP Story. The MP on Reach doesn't seem any different than last I remember it to be on 3. Though I do love how Bungie threw in the kitchen sink into as far as modes/customization. All games MP should be this customizable.