WTF is Apple's Problem

so what are some good other hard drive players that integrate well with iTunes? My second one is semi-broken and I am cautious, like Diata, of getting another one, but I have yet to see anythng of a similar sort that works on a mac..

I have had a 30gb Ipod for about a week and have yet had one problems that make me complain, even tho ive read lots and lots of people are having a ton of problems, i think theres quite a few bad iPods about indeed.

But on the whole, still the best mp3 player you can get,,,,expensive,,,but very pretty

yea, they are great when operating, but i dont think im in the wrong because ive received 2 malfuctioning iPods, which cost me 400 bucks

Dunno, my iPods have always worked great, including my 3G version...

How are you trying to charge it, what model computer, and how are you trying to turn on the backlight? Can you activate the backlight with the menu at all? Will it work with the key combo?

Maybe your computer has something wrong with the pins that supply power through the firewire port? Two iPods with power problems AND backlight problems is not right. Although possible, I have thiss gut feeling there is more to this story... Maybe it's the computer?

-SD

not the computer...im using the same dock as before. the backlight turns on if you select "backlight" but holding down the menu button does not consistently work. ive also used both firewire ports, and doubt theyre both broken.

This is odd, since Apple is notorious for it's extremely high product quality and even more notorious for it's super quick-and-painless support system. **** happens, but this is definately not representative of the majority.

I don't think the firewire ports on on independent power supplies, so it could be the ports... Or as you say, it could be the dock...

Like I said, I think it's not in the iPod, but around it... But that's hard to say since I'm not there to play with it.

What are your settings for the backlight to automatically turn off? Maybe that has something to do with it.

I am with SD on this one. I would say that it is something other than the iPod, if this is the second one that you have got. I know the first one that I got was messed up. I was pretty mad, but I took it right back, got a new one, and it has worked ever since. No Problem.

It would be pretty rare to get something with the exact same problem twice. Especially if the backlight does work when you go through the menu to do it.

Do you have an apple store around you that you could just take it into and have them look at it? I bet they would replace it right there for you also.

And also, if this time you send it back. Send everything back, not just the iPod itself. This way you remove all doubt.

Live and Learn... ;)

Maybe the iPod isn't suited to you

Maybe you don't know how to use it

I'm going to go with Tim and say PIBCAK... If not, take it into your local Apple Store (Apple Authorized Service Center) and ask them to diagnose it, don't keep sending it back to Apple, that should be your LAST action after trying to take it to a center, they are authorized to replace on site.

Excuses excuses. God forbid Apple is faulted for anything, ever. I love my iPod, never had a problem with it, using it under both a Mac and a PC via XPlay. But I just don't get how deluded some people can be...

:rolleyes:

after hearing all these complains, your opinion doesn't sound too good to me (a windows user, but definately don't hate apple computer/OS)...

i was thinking about getting an iPod for myself in few days, but now that i've heard all these complains i think i'll just stick with my nomad II.

It doesn't? You don't believe me that is it the best mp3 player out there? Too bad for you. :pinch:

Honestly, and I'm seriously *seriously* displeased with Apple, but I can honestly say that the iPod is probably the best, and the only mp3 player that I would own. Before I messed with one, I thought portable mp3 players were just dumb little toys, but the iPod is reallyreally nice.

.: i don't see the ipod as the holygrail of mp3 players

.: i know that sound ?like music is very polar and

.: therefore so is your choice of player. But the ipod

.: doesn't even come with an fm radio:huh:h:

.: and it isn't that portable, try working out with the

.: damn thing - where do u put it? in your jock stap?

.: With bigger and bigger flash cards (1gig and soon

.: bigger) coming out, why would u want to lug around

.: a hard drive? And it's fairly steep ($$$$)

.: i've tried them all, and found statisfaction and and almost

.: complete joy! first I had the Yepp, not bad, very loud! the

.: only problem was it converted already compressed media

.: into it's own form of compression -transfer time ?not always

.: perfect converstio:pinch:nch: but good fm

.: now i have a rio sport and it does what I want it to do.

.: i can transfer straight from WMP or use it's own utility app

.: it's quick and has alright fm, and a nice little arm band. and

.: takes one measily lil AAA battery that lasts longer than most

.: just my long winded two cents

.: tHeDoSe :.

.: doesn't even come with an fm radio:huh:h:

.: perfect converstio:pinch:nch: but good fm

i have far over one gig of music which is why i like the ipod, and compared to fladh it may be big but it's still the smallest HD player out there.

.: doesn't even come with an fm radio 

.: perfect converstions  but good fm

Agreed. To a certain extent.

I can't believe the iPod does not have an FM radio. I really wish it did.

It is not light enough to jog with, plus I'm afraid jogging with it will ruin it after a while. After all, there is a spinning harddrive inside of it, and I don't want to break it.

Flash cards are getting larger, but not cheaper. I won't purchase an mp3 player unless it has at least 1 gigabyte of storage, meaning at least the capacity of 200 mp3s. The reason? I don't want to have to update my playlists everyday because I get bored with only 120 songs after working out with the same ones every other day. Plus, not only do I work out with an mp3 player, I use it on the metro, and before I goto bed, because of it's recording capabilities. (Before I goto sleep, I like to record new music I hear on the fm tuner too add to my mix. ) I'd like to have a much wider variety of music when I do other things besides working out.

If iRiver comes out with a 1GB model, I might purchase it. But its still tough because it would probably cost about 500 dollars. And that money could buy me a 30 gig ipod. which then makes the iriver sorta crappy looking.

Before I got my iPod, my music collection was 500MB. It's grown to over 1.3GB. I imagine it won't be very long before it hits 2GB.

mines over 15, so i cant even fit everything on it (not to mention it only holds 13 or something). another new problem arose- now when i plug it into the dock, the iPod icon doesnt always appear on my desktop

anyone else have the problem of the iPod just not mounting at all? i know for a fact its not my firewire, and it cant be the dock because on my 1st iPod it did mount

Nope, I don't have that problem.

I still have not figured out a good way to work out with it. Anyone have a good idea? I tried clipping it on my athletic pants but that just doesn't work well... Oh well.. ;)

My collection of music is over 36gb. Don't ask me how it got that big, I don't know. What I do know is I never download songs. I just download or rip albums. I have nothing but full albums. So if I hear a song I like, I get the whole album, not just the song. That may contribute to why my collection is so large. But it is nice to have the variety.

anyone else have the problem of the iPod just not mounting at all? i know for a fact its not my firewire, and it cant be the dock because on my 1st iPod it did mount

EDIT: forget this im retarded :rolleyes: