Geek Squad Wouldn't Honor My Netbook's Protection Plan

do you guys not understand how the real world works? We have a list of approved tools from corporate, any other tools than those we CANNOT USE. WE DO NOT HAVE COMMERCIAL LICENSES for these softwares. Yes, i am claiming they need to buy the software for us to use it, whats hard to understand? THis isnt a mom and pop shop who can use pirated software or "free" software. Free doesnt mean its ok to use in a commercial environment. If it is not an approved piece of software from corporate we cannot use it, unless the client already has it installed or we are installing it for them.

How is this so hard to understand for you guys?

yes and no, like i stated if the client owns some sort of cloning software and would like us to clone their drive, we can do this as the client owns the software. If someone brings in a laptop drive and buys a new drive and wants us to clone it, we cannot do this unless the client provides the software for us to clone the drive.

Why are you so upset about this?

You are talking like Best Buy is a poor basement computer repair shop, seriously why is it so illogical to assume Best Buy has a corporate back-up software, especially since they are offering a paid back-up service?

Edited by backdrifter

do you guys not understand how the real world works? We have a list of approved tools from corporate, any other tools than those we CANNOT USE. WE DO NOT HAVE COMMERCIAL LICENSES for these softwares. Yes, i am claiming they need to buy the software for us to use it, whats hard to understand? THis isnt a mom and pop shop who can use pirated software or "free" software. Free doesnt mean its ok to use in a commercial environment. If it is not an approved piece of software from corporate we cannot use it, unless the client already has it installed or we are installing it for them.

How is this so hard to understand for you guys?

Don't come around on me like a pretentious, snot-nosed kid.

I asked a serious question, and you have no right to be so rude.

Is that why Windows run like crap on MacBook and the system run hot?

Dam I hate Apple. It refuse to fix my hard drive leaving me to pay for a new one. The Genius Bar people said that there is nothing wrong with my MPB. Good, I will never buy from Apple again. It's not like Snow Leopard is a big fat loose compare to Windows 7 anyway.

Uh, no, Windows runs hot on a MacBook Pro because Windows uses the 9600M GT in the 15" MacBook Pro and not the 9400M. Windows 7 is also pretty taxing on the GPU in comparison to OS X. It's been shown in a few tests that Aero isn't too great for battery life.

The fans in Intel Macs are firmware controlled.

BS, just bloody BS. The fans are run by the BIOS, not the OS. No matter what OS is being used.

Please hand over your geek card. Your privileges have just been revoked.

Nope, some computers do have software controlled fans. Macs pre-Intel had software controlled fans (because you could pretty much only run Mac OS X on them anyway, and any PowerPC Linux distros had drivers for the fans because they were meant to run on Macs).

Back on topic: Geek Squad strikes again. I would never, ever buy a Geek Squad protection plan on anything. I know more about fixing things than those guys.

Edited by Elliott

The geek squad is a joke. They have zero knowledge of hardware period and all they do is pop in MRI and hit go.

I worked for best buy for two years. Multiple times i had to cross clock into geeksquad because they were behind, none of them knew what was going on at all.

It's sad, a lot of people think the geeksquad knows what they are doing, including the employees them selves. But in reality they are idiots.

You have no idea how many times i have heard the gs manager sit and tell people that they need to buy a new hard drive because their computer is "slow" , that is why i quit working there.

Don't come around on me like a pretentious, snot-nosed kid.

I asked a serious question, and you have no right to be so rude.

a snot nosed kid? take your own advice, crawl back into your cave and dont be so rude yourself. I already explained this and yet you asked the same question, how about reading the thread before you try and come in on your high horse there buddy.

Edited by Circaflex

Why are you so upset this?

You are talking like Best Buy is a poor basement computer repair shop, seriously why is it so illogical to assume Best Buy has a corporate back-up software, especially since they are offering a paid back-up service?

because how many times have i already stated in this thread we do not offer cloning and do not have commercial license for any clone software. Like i said assuming only makes you look like an ass.

The geek squad is a joke. They have zero knowledge of hardware period and all they do is pop in MRI and hit go.

I worked for best buy for two years. Multiple times i had to cross clock into geeksquad because they were behind, none of them knew what was going on at all.

It's sad, a lot of people think the geeksquad knows what they are doing, including the employees them selves. But in reality they are idiots.

You have no idea how many times i have heard the gs manager sit and tell people that they need to buy a new hard drive because their computer is "slow" , that is why i quit working there.

these are the best comments.

"all they do it pop in a cd and it does everything for them"

Thats incorrect but lets pretend it isnt. When you fix a computer what do you do? Install some free or pirated software and let it run, thus doing the work for you. How is this any different? Our cd just has all tools available on one disc, and has some automated scripts. How else would you expect us to fix 20 computers a day, without automated scripts? Or like every other mom and pop shop we could just format the drive. You guys all act like the cd does EVERYTHING, which is the largest misconception on what our tools are.

I work at bestbuy, but im in the home theater area so i can't really comment on the geeksquad stuff, but i've seen a fair amount of people in computer repair places that clearly know NOTHING about computers.

Theres a girl in HT right now that knows nothing about tvs or bluray...

because how many times have i already stated in this thread we do not offer cloning and do not have commercial license for any clone software. Like i said assuming only makes you look like an ass.

You can tailor your services however you like. But if you're asking $100 for data back-up, people might assume that it's a real back-up service, and you might need to try explaining yourself more politely to them. Best Buy just opened its first retailer in my country two days ago, and if their workers are as aggressive as you are, I would never set my foot in there.

I work at bestbuy, but im in the home theater area so i can't really comment on the geeksquad stuff, but i've seen a fair amount of people in computer repair places that clearly know NOTHING about computers.

Theres a girl in HT right now that knows nothing about tvs or bluray...

i dont disagree, i see it all the time. But it just irritates me when a few bad apples ruin it, and the common misconception about Geeksquad is we are all idiots, which we arent. Some of us actually do have a clue.

It seems to me that basically all geek squad does is manipulate people who don't know much about computers to get them to buy more stuff that is "necessary" to fix whatever the problem is...

You can tailor your services however you like. But if you're asking $100 for data back-up, people might assume that it's a real back-up service, and you might need to try explaining yourself more politely to them. Best Buy just opened its first retailer in my country two days ago, and if their workers are as incompetent as you are, I would never set my foot in there.

How am i incompetent? How are we not offering a real back-up service? Each client i check in for data backup, clearly knows its only personal files, but like i STATED we have a backup form asking them what they want to have backed up and if there is anything in a "special" location they need backed up. I still dont see how im incompetent and this isnt a real back up service? Please explain.

It seems to me that basically all geek squad does is manipulate people who don't know much about computers to get them to buy more stuff that is "necessary" to fix whatever the problem is...

So i shouldnt sell them the needed parts to fix their computer? that makes a lot of sense.

That is the truth, I've worked there. I have friends that work there right now for some dumb ass reason.

You don't even need any certification to have that job, none at all.

I bet you any amount of money that if there were an actual hardware problem that 90% of the time they wouldn't know what it was and instead make up an answer as to why it wasn't working. (BAD HARDDRIVE!!)

I also worked at a "mom and pop shop" called PC Adventures for a summer and they don't just WIPE the hard drive. They actually solve the problem completely. And unlike geeksquad they have A+ and Microsoft certified employees.

I would never EVER recommend GeekSquad to ANYONE ever.

Excuse me? What a typical GS answer!

????? I dont understand how thats a typical GS answer? Try to copy your ms office folder directly onto a new install, it wont run. Try to copy the folder to an external drive and run it on a different computer, it wont work. Missing registry keys and other files associated with system32 arent copied, again how am i wrong?

How am i incompetent? How are we not offering a real back-up service? Each client i check in for data backup, clearly knows its only personal files, but like i STATED we have a backup form asking them what they want to have backed up and if there is anything in a "special" location they need backed up. I still dont see how im incompetent and this isnt a real back up service? Please explain.

So i shouldnt sell them the needed parts to fix their computer? that makes a lot of sense.

I apologize for the word, incompetent, I meant aggresive, it was my lack of English and I edited the original post.

That is the truth, I've worked there. I have friends that work there right now for some dumb ass reason.

You don't even need any certification to have that job, none at all.

I bet you any amount of money that if there were an actual hardware problem that 90% of the time they wouldn't know what it was and instead make up an answer as to why it wasn't working. (BAD HARDDRIVE!!)

I also worked at a "mom and pop shop" called PC Adventures for a summer and they don't just WIPE the hard drive. They actually solve the problem completely. And unlike geeksquad they have A++ and Microsoft certified employees.

I would never EVER recommend GeekSquad to ANYONE ever.

Again assuming only makes you look like an ass. So every GS employee isnt certified? We dont wipe the drive, and we solve it completely too. Im A+ certified, and MCSE certified. Id take you up on your bet any time, im sure i could diagnose bad hardware.

I apologize for the word, incompetent, I meant aggresive, it was my lack of English and I edited the original post.

I also apologize, for my remarks towards you.

I can see how i am agressive, my only gripe are the misconceptions spewed throughout this topic.

Not you specifically, I was just making a generalization. I don't mean to offend you at all, but from my experience, this is true. My family once hired a geek squad member to fix a network problem, and we ended up buying three or four new routers only to have him fail and leave. Later that night I fixed it myself without using anything we bought. We wasted hundreds of dollars for nothing.

Another time, my friend's family had issues with their computer so they hired a geek squad member who basically just formatted their hard drive and made them pay for an external drive he used to back up their stuff.

Sorry, I have no doubt some geek squad members are truly qualified for their job, but I can't help to notice that some of them aren't and they ruin the name for you guys. :/

a snot nosed kid? take your own advice, crawl back into your cave and dont be so rude yourself. I already explained this and yet you asked the same question, how about reading the thread before you try and come in on your high horse there buddy.
The same question? About g4u or other legal freely available tools? Nope. Don't see it in the thread. Maybe you thought it was covered, but it wasn't. Either way, I asked a question about this aspect, and you became belligerent.

I can see how i am agressive, my only gripe are the misconceptions spewed throughout this topic.

"Aggressive" is a good word to describe your posts (and you have more posts in this thread than the next three-highest posters). It really isn't called for, as it is the refuge of the testosterone-overloaded teenagers (trust me, I have one at that stage now, with 3 other boys following in line).

I believe they pointed out very clearly that you also get an EXTERNAL Hard drive for the service too. So it's not $149 just to copy files, but you get the a physical external hard drive!