Gotta love a fresh reformat

Finally after about a year without reformatting, I finally did last night. Took me forever to get everything back to how it was, but it works so much nicer now.

Format mine every few weeks, dunno what it is, turns to ****. I push it quite hard day in day out but it get to a point where stuff like rundll starts hanging, explorer restarts every few minutes and I start getting the annoyances that everyone else has within a few months; in a few days. Still, got it down to a T, but it's not the way to go. ****ing Windows Decay...

I format mine basically every month, i have everything up to normal working conditions (with back-ups and all) in 3 hours. God bless the backup partition, and format CDs I created!!!

Windows does become sluggish after a few weeks, don't know but u can feel the difference

You guys are fools. I push this bitch XP PRO to the top and it aint doing poop. It only crashes Explorer once in 1 month and dats all. When It faks really bad, thats when I reformat and that happens arround every year...

if ppl knew how to maintain their windows operating system, they would never have these problems. I almost never have to format, what do u guys do, install gator and realplayer or something?

I only reformat when there are too many errors that can't be fixed or when my WinXP becomes really unstable. Well it's been like 6 months my WinXP still stays strong...without reformat.

Have you guys never heard of Norton Ghost or Powerquest Drive Image?

I create a image of my fresh installed Windows with needed software. Then when Windows become unusable, I`m back to "normal" in 3 min. instead of 3 hours. :)

I reformat every 6-12 months or so. I don't really get any errors, but after a while of installing, uninstalling, upgrading, etc. I start to feel kind of sorry for my registry... and well, my entire harddrive. I like being able to exit defrag and have everything perfectly together at the beginning of the drive. Yay OCD!

You guys are fools. I push this bitch XP PRO to the top and it aint doing poop. It only crashes Explorer once in 1 month and dats all. When It faks really bad, thats when I reformat and that happens arround every year...

Apps installed at the moment:

Photoshop

Iconworkshop

mIrc

Firebird

FlashFXP

Virtual Dub

Ogg and xVid

Nero

Winamp

TweakUI

Winrar

That's it. Install was on 10th June, rundll32 has hung on me to the point where I've had to restart the whole PC when I tried to disable system restore when checking a checkbox :| Explorer has crashed countless times.

I guess I'm just a fool :rolleyes: In fact, 5 minutes after a fresh install, when switching to thumbnail view in My Pictures explorer.exe crashed. Nice! Tell me, how do I maintain windows to prevent it doing that 5 minutes into an install oh mighty Windows experts?

Apps installed at the moment:

Photoshop

Iconworkshop

mIrc

Firebird

FlashFXP

Virtual Dub

Ogg and xVid

Nero

Winamp

TweakUI

Winrar

That's it. Install was on 10th June, rundll32 has hung on me to the point where I've had to restart the whole PC when I tried to disable system restore when checking a checkbox :| Explorer has crashed countless times.

I guess I'm just a fool :rolleyes: In fact, 5 minutes after a fresh install, when switching to thumbnail view in My Pictures explorer.exe crashed. Nice! Tell me, how do I maintain windows to prevent it doing that 5 minutes into an install oh mighty Windows experts?

HAHA, I bet thats XP Home? Home hanged on me too, the comp wouldn't even start! So I said: FAK HOME AND LET'S INSTAL XP PRO!

So with Pro never had a problem, Runs like a peice of cake... (I dont even know if I can use that expression :p )

I have installed all this:

Windows XP Pro SP1

Photoshop 7

RealOne Player :crazy:

GTA: VC

IconPackager

E-Icons

Iconworkshop

WinRar

Messenger 6

SmartFTP

Dreamweaver MX

Daemon Tools

Office XP (Complete, Including Encarta 2003)

Kazaa Lite K++

Photoimpression

PowerDVD XP

DivX Player

Wolfenstein Enemy Territory

NFS: Hot Pursuit 2

Live For Speed

Norton Anti Virus 2003

Nero

and a few more that run in Background...

What? Home is 99% the same. To the home user there wouldn't be any noticable difference. There certainly wouldn't be any difference in explorer.exe or rundll32.

LMAO :p So now people that say that Home is same thing should shut up...

Home is fundamentally the same product... There are a few different files.

:no: Whats with the attitude.... Windows XP is as stable as you make it, but it still has some bugs and floors. Just wait till longhorn comes out, by then XP will be the Rock of all OS's

Even if I ignore the crap it gives me (which I know seems to be the exception to the rule because my parents PC has been running home for months and months no problem) the legacy stuff scattered all over the OS does my head in. Graphics from the beta, old windows 3.1 crap, old windows bitmaps in dll's. Crap like that, I just can't believe the crap they've left in. I sincerely hope then make Longhorn as sleek as possible in regards to useless crap in the OS.

Format mine every few weeks, dunno what it is, turns to ****. I push it quite hard day in day out but it get to a point where stuff like rundll starts hanging, explorer restarts every few minutes and I start getting the annoyances that everyone else has within a few months; in a few days. Still, got it down to a T, but it's not the way to go. ****ing Windows Decay...

Mine does the same thing, I have to format almost once or twice a week, its only Windows XP that does it..

I usually end up reinstalling every three months or so. I'm pretty close to three months right now. I'm not having problems at all and I have a lot of programs installed. It's not like I have anything else to do on a Sunday afternoon for a couple of hours. Why not reinstall and get a fresh new system? I have my docs, favorites and most of my data on seperate partitions anyway. Oh well my computer's been running great so I'm probably not gonna reinstall for a while .. unless I get really bored.

I've had this installation on for almost 6 months (constant use) and it still runs perfect :o I've never suffered from 'Windows Decay.'

Lucky you, depends what you're doing on it, mine is probably on 24/7 when it's not being restarted. Constantly encoding video, stuff in photoshop, streaming files to my XBox, ripping music and this will be happening in the background whilst I'll be on the net checking email every minute, surfing Neowin with IRC on in the background downloading something and a few messenger windows open. Not uncommon to have around 15-30 windows open at a time all doing something intensive. Day in day out until windows buckles and starts to give in.

Seeing as I'm up and running with all apps installed in around 90 minutes might as well reinstall. I backup weekly onto CD so I'm never losing anything, but it would just be nice to be doing what I do without having the worry of registry rot.

Dazzla, could Windows be hanging because of all your modifications? :rolleyes:

EDIT: I could be wrong here, but I get the impression by the tools you have installed and the dll hacks you publish on Neowin that you probably run quite a few of them (dll hacks) :D

You guys that are having problems within weeks of reinstalling, it's got to be some kind of issue with your hardware. I've not had any major problems at all with WinXP except with buggy hardware or drivers or with trying to overclock a little too much. I can listen to mp3s, surf the net and burn cds at the same time no problem, all with a bunch of stuff running in the background. I guess I stumbled on a combination of hardware that works good together.

Oh and Dazzla that's really wierd I've never had explorer crash on me. I'm using XPPro with SP1 and most of the newer updates. It's more likely buggy drivers making it crash than a leftover bitmapp in a dll.

What modifications? I've not changed a single dll, I've got the theme service off running windows classic. That's it. This is a clean install with just my nessecary apps installed, and I'm lucky enough not to have a hard reboot in the 5 days it's been up, explorer has only restarted automatically 7 times and it's been on 24/7 since I installed it so it's doing ok this time round. We'll see what it's like in 3 weeks.

The only drivers I've installed on this install are the CAT 3.4's from ATI. Nothing else, I let XP handle everything else this time, I've tried this before, it doesn't seem to make much difference if I leave XP to it or install all the AGP, IDE drivers etc myself. And I know a leftover bitmap won't cause explorer to crash, I was just going off on a tangent, another annoyance ;)

Dazzla, I do all the same things here. Working on my website, listenening to music, watching DVDs, running IIS, photoshop, checking email, etc, etc. Until a recent power outage my computer was up for just over two weeks non stop.

Could it be hardware causing malfunctions with Windows? Might check it out. Defragging would always help too because you said that you are encoding video and I assume writting a lot of data constantly. That seems like it would suck having to reinstall everyweek. The preasure, THE PREASURE! :laugh: