Image editing software for a beginner

My Dad is very keen on photography, he has been scanning all his negatives and slides in from the 80/90's.

VueScan does a pretty good job at producing a great scan first time, however he wants to touch the images up after scanning them.

Can anyone recommend any user friendly software that might do such a task?

I have been looking at Photoshop Elements which sounds like it could be a lot more user friendly than Photoshop.

Is there anything else I should have a look at?

Thanks.

I actually find Photoshop to be more intuitive than Photoshop Elements, but it is quite expensive for a software product. The benefit of Photoshop Elements is that you get an integrated photo library with tagging. Paint.NET has a friendly user interface and is, of course, free; its toolset is impressive for a free product. Avoid GIMP like the plague if you're looking for ease-of-use.

Cheers, it looks like Paint.net is rated highly.. free is also good (Y)

Ill be sure to check it out.

Another vote for Paint.NET. Its basically MSPAINT with a lot more added features such as layers, transparency and some basic things such as red-eye removal. Great software for the price too. If you're looking for a "basic" editor, paint.net is definitely the way to go.

@boogerjones: I've never really had an issue with The GIMP, its what I use as my primary image editor since it's almost as functional as Photoshop, but a much more appropriate price. The main issue I find is that the user interface is very much oriented towards Linux shells, and then ported to Windows, and as a result is quite confusing, but once you get used to where everything is its as easy to use as Photoshop. I think things will change a lot when they introduce "single-window mode" in... 2.8 I think it is, which makes all the toolboxes and stuff sit in the same window. That will make it a lot less daunting to use I think.

Paint.NET is very good software. However, if you want to become proficient in graphics, you need to learn Photoshop. Yes, it's expensive, and yes it complex, but it's that good. You are going to find yourself limited at some point with almost anything else, including Paint.NET.

Lightroom, ACDSee, or Paintshop Photo Express. You could try GIMP too, it's free, but it's not easier to use than Photoshop. Not sure how good Paint.net is for photo editing, it's more of an all-purpose drawing program.

Not sure how good Paint.net is for photo editing, it's more of an all-purpose drawing program.
Not at all true. It's fine for image touch-up, which usually involves little more than adjusting levels, curves, HSV, brightness/contrast, or sharpening/blurring filters and then resizing.

I haven't looked at it much, but doesn't Picasa have some basic retouching tools as well? It'll also allow him to organise his photos. Depends on how much work your dad wants to do with the photos.

Adobe also had a cut-down free version of Photoshop Elements called Photoshop Album SE. Apparently it's very cut-down and they have since discontinued it in favour of Photoshop.com, but it's still available for download. Scratch this, you won't be able to register for the unlock code.

Edited by protocol7

Not at all true. It's fine for image touch-up, which usually involves little more than adjusting levels, curves, HSV, brightness/contrast, or sharpening/blurring filters and then resizing.

Yeah, like Photoshop. But he said he wants something simple. Did you ever try Lightroom? You can move one slider, basically like "make this photo better" and it does the adjustments automatically. It's very depressing, because I used to do photo processing for computer-illiterate photographers, but now they've got all this automated stuff, they click on a button and it does everything for them.

God damn Lightroom stole my job! :laugh:

Yeah, like Photoshop. But he said he wants something simple.
I think you misunderstood me. I was advocating Paint.NET, which I think is very easy to use for common adjustments.

Yeah, like Photoshop. But he said he wants something simple. Did you ever try Lightroom? You can move one slider, basically like "make this photo better" and it does the adjustments automatically. It's very depressing, because I used to do photo processing for computer-illiterate photographers, but now they've got all this automated stuff, they click on a button and it does everything for them.

I downloaded a trial of Lightroom, your right.. it works amazingly well just by pressing one button! I can see how you would be out of a job with software like that!!

My Dad appears to be pretty impressed by it too, which is great as its pretty straight forward to use and the built in help is good also.

I think we could be on to a winner, cheers for the suggestions (Y)

• 3 weeks later...

Paint.NET is free, and has all the touch-up utilities you could ever need. However, each photo is going to take some time to touch up in this application.

Google Picasa is also free, it doesn't have the impressive toolset that Paint.NET has, but it is a bit better for organizing large collection, tagging them, and doing very simple touch up (color adjustments etc.).

I've heard good things about Adobe Lightroom and would like to get my hands on it.

They took yer job!