Is Windows 7 really this good?

Am just now finishing up my second install of Windows 7 Ultimate.

This is an Emachine T3025 with 1gb ram and an AMD 3000+ Athlon processor and onboard Nvidia Geforce4 MX graphics.

Windows Seven is running just as sweetly as XP Pro ever did!

If nothing else, they sure did blow their last attempt at an OS far, far away!!

I've had Vista Ultimate on this machine a couple times. Couldn't stand the OS itself, or the drag on performance, it had out of the box.

Im still trying to understand why it took Microsoft 3 years for Windows 7.

Its just Vista SP2 with a (slightly) updated UI and faster bootup and shutdown times.

And yes, the Windows 7 hype got me too. I love Windows 7.

Am just now finishing up my second install of Windows 7 Ultimate.

This is an Emachine T3025 with 1gb ram and an AMD 3000+ Athlon processor and onboard Nvidia Geforce4 MX graphics.

Windows Seven is running just as sweetly as XP Pro ever did!

If nothing else, they sure did blow their last attempt at an OS far, far away!!

well like i did with my moms running a 2200+ XP chip and 1.5gb of ram i installed a EVGA nvidia 9400 GT or so PCI 2.1 card i got online so she would have windows Aero and the thing runs like a Dream

oh and before anyone says anything here is the card i was shocked to learn evga made a 9400 card in PCI connection

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?...Series%20Family

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...dy=#ReviewStart

I have to say at long last I've stopped selling XP! Microsoft have excelled themselves with windows 7, not before time. I work with alot of business' who rely on XP, but at long last microsoft have released a system that works! Well if the software doesn't work 7 i can whack on XP virtual mode. Yeah it may cause Admin problems but at least the software works, a couple of headaches for me gives the client what they want.

All I've to say is well done MS, keep listening to the customer!! VERY IMPORTANT

Im still trying to understand why it took Microsoft 3 years for Windows 7.

Its just Vista SP2 with a (slightly) updated UI and faster bootup and shutdown times.

And yes, the Windows 7 hype got me too. I love Windows 7.

well your right and wrong.

1. they made some huge enhancement under the hood of windows 7 witch could not have been added to windows vista.

2. they tot. overhauled the windows taskbar and added huge amounts of functionality to it new features and what not

3. they tweaked the UI every so little here and ther lightened it up a bit so it presents it self better

4. overhauled built from the ground up the windows scheduler system for multi-core systems and intel chips with Hyperthreading, Windows 7 can understand the differances between a physical core and a logical core and can now send threads to the main cores first before touching the logical cores.

5. Windows 7 has on- the Fly services adjustment any unused devices you had plugged in but unplugged the services related to it will shut down.

6 . very much improved and finished graphics Driver model better managment of allocated resourced in how it runs DWM or how it works

7. Many many more new features added or under the hood changes were made that could not have been made for Vista and thus making windows 7 NOT Vista SP2 or SP3 since SP2 on vista is out already

i would sudjest yea head over to msdn channel 9 and watch the videos on windows 7 with the engineers and learn the huge differences or small ones between vista and 7 that really make 7 no Vista with SP2 or 3 and also head over to the engineer for window s7 blog and read up . here is 1 article ya can read up on

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/04/2...erformance.aspx

notuptome2004, i have 2 peices of advice for you.

#1 Read my posts. Properly this time. Absorb the information i write.

#2 Re-post something even remotely accurate. I have up to date drivers for example, yet you're babbling on about it being driver issues.

notuptome2004, i have 2 peices of advice for you.

#1 Read my posts. Properly this time. Absorb the information i write.

#2 Re-post something even remotely accurate. I have up to date drivers for example, yet you're babbling on about it being driver issues.

then somthing is wrong cause i sure am not wrong you can go all over channel 9 and the enginering blogs for windows 7 and read about services on demand

As an example Windows 7 effort, we are working very hard on system services. We aim to dramatically reduce them in number, as well as reduce their CPU, disk and memory demands. Our perspective on this is simple; if a service is not absolutely required, it shouldn?t be starting and a trigger should exist to handle rare conditions so that the service operates only then.

Of course, services exist to complete user experiences, even rare ones.

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2008/08/2...erformance.aspx

MS Made a few promises. Which they always never keep. What is your point?

Btw what's wrong ( i suspect) is the indexing service is starting a scan while i play CoD.

Obviously it thinks the computer is idle when i'm playing CoD =/

Windows 7 /is/ that good and no tweaks need to be done.

Using those registry "tweaks" are foolish anyway.

I would disagree - strongly.

While I agree Windows 7 is a lot more stable, tweaks can still be done to improve the system. With all the hype about Windows 7 being the greatest operating system, I was suprised to still manage to make it have issues, I still get errors here and there, less than Vista, slightly less than XP.

However, Microsoft believe that everyone is connected to the internet with a super fast connection. Disabling Windows Media Player updates can help those on a rubbisg ADSL link (although I would personally not disable them). But disabling some of the other things (balloon tips, killing processes) the guy posted in the reg tweaks could help do things that little bit quicker.

Windows will always have tweaks to be made, whatever the version as people want different things from an OS.

MS Made a few promises. Which they always never keep. What is your point?

Btw what's wrong ( i suspect) is the indexing service is starting a scan while i play CoD.

Obviously it thinks the computer is idle when i'm playing CoD =/

yea and they kept everyone of them with windows 7 i have not seen a 1 promised not kept for windows 7 unlike longhorn or vista when they did not delivered on the product they hyped us up on. but ther is something wrong tho fi your playing COD and your system is lagging that bad cause i dont have that issue on my hardware ever

AMd Phenom 9550 2.2ghz quad with 4gb of ram and GeForce GTS 250 512 no performance issue at all

Killing processes posted could fix one thing but will most likely break other things as has been observed in the past with Vista which is why it's always a caution when doing so.

In 7 you don't need to tweak anything. Well the only time you'd need to is if you're upgrading from a HDD to SSD by Cloning method sin which case you'd need to manually set up the OS for SSD use whereas a clean install disables certain services like Indexing by default since these are not needed on an SSD.

If anyone can prove using actual real world test data that tweaking such services makes a noticeable difference then I will submit but I don't care if you own a gaming internet cafe or whatever. I work as an IT professional both in my own time and as a 9-5 and have been supporting users both on-line and offline since the early days - this means absolutely nothing to you, relatively but what I'm saying is that I'm no newbie to this kind of era and I'm also one of the few who had no issues in Vista whatsoever on any machine I installed it on purely because I set it up correctly, installed suitable amounts of hardware that was indeed cheap but performed well and kept the system updated with the latest drivers and software at all times.

It's a routine but a routine well worth keeping in check because it pays off.

I wouldn't say you need to tweak it either MrK.

That would be a blatantly stupid claim.

However there are proven increases from tweaking. Granted, usually only gamers bother doing it. But they are effective; Several people here tried to claim otherwise.

Killing processes posted could fix one thing but will most likely break other things

That's not really tweaking, that's screwing up your install :p

Tweaking is meant to make it run better overall, not just faster. If you break a feature or ability it's not working better, is it?

I can't beleive there are still idiots out there who think tweaks do nothing.

I just disabled around 20 processes and 20 services.

Then i ran a timedemo of Call of Duty: World At War multiplayer and saw 0.8 FPS increase. Around a 1% increase, not much for MY system, on systems with more RAM you'll see a bigger advantage on tweaking.

On the other hand, whichever service it was causing me to get 14 FPS in CoD is now disabled. That was annoying as hell. I'm used to 60 in artillery, 110 average.

+1

I agree.

Most of the idiots that are against tweaking either are die-hard Microsoft fans (MS is always right, MS never messes up, All the products are perfect - that sort of propaganda) or have hardware that gives them no ability to see any difference (Seriously, does anyone expects you to see a difference in performance on that $7k Tower? No. Go Away).

I disabled a ton of services and applied a bunch of tweakson my ION netbook. Guess what happened?

1. Decreased RAM usage.

2. Fast Boot

3. More Responsive System

ok well every damn netbook i have seen yes even ion based and or not windows 7 has performed damn well , my uncle has a non ion netbook single core and everything he does on it runs well he watches movies on trips via thumb drive and multitasks quite well between that and using Word or so so yes maby disabling some things could give ya a shy more ram but is it really all that meaningful when by default it runs perfectly fine.

and as for the gamers and i am one and so is most of my friend who own core i7 system they could care less to do any tweaking as the latest games run at more then enough speed and performance, grant you they do do Pro- gaming in any sort of making money way but still the stuff runs perfect. and as i have siad windows 7 made my moms aging HP sing Nearly as good as a new Kitten . but course what ever you wish to do with your system is your right as it is your opinion on what works for you

i will now Quote My Dads Father who i never got to meet: Opinions are like *******s Every bodies got one !

Umm there's not a system on the market that'll get a stable framerate for games like CoD WaW.

Unless you play solitare i'd say the tweaks are pretty necessary for a pro gamer =/

I agree with most about 7 being new and its lack of tweak tools.

I use ncleaner to tweak and its free.

and you are absolutely right about microsoft getting windows 7 right...

Umm there's not a system on the market that'll get a stable framerate for games like CoD WaW.

Unless you play solitare i'd say the tweaks are pretty necessary for a pro gamer =/

Seriously your .8 FPS increase fall well within the variance threshold between different runs of a benchmark test. not because you removed some random services that wouldn't affect performance in the slightest.

And no, pro gamers don't need performance tweaks.

Seriously your .8 FPS increase fall well within the variance threshold between different runs of a benchmark test. not because you removed some random services that wouldn't affect performance in the slightest.

And no, pro gamers don't need performance tweaks.

False.

If it loads at Start-up it must load at Start-up. Loading anything requires some resources. Therefore disabling that which loads at start-up leads to less loading which leads to less resources & clock cycles dedicated to loading those resource which in turn helps boot times.

This also decreases the amount of RAM used by that resource as the resource is not loaded and not present in system memory. This increases the amount of RAM for superfetch and for resource intensive programs. Then again, features aren't always dormant in the background and thus disabling them not only frees up a certain amount of RAM but prevents them from using any other resources for whatever background tasks they engage in. This is why one should disable that which is not used - it is loaded and running in the background.

Windows 7 is not meant for a single type of a user and therefore it is loaded with features. Logically to appeal to the biggest user base, Windows 7 must have lots of working features. The thing is, for any one user, all those features are not necessary. For example, if all you need is internet connection through rj45, you can disable a bunch of other services - they don't effect you. Windows 7 wasn't designed for any single type of a user - the user him/herself must make W7 personal through tweaking and optimization.

If you don't believe that disabling background junk helps - you never tried Norton antivirus for example.

This is not the only reason for tweaking. Another reason is to disable annoyances. For example User Account Control. I am not aware of disabling the UAC being a performance tweak - but it is a removal of an annoyance. Tweaking is also personalization.

For example the difference between an nlited XP and a normal XP is normal XP uses 100MB more RAM and loads twice as slow.

Also gamers do tweak, if not the OS then the game itself, for example,

cl_crosshairscale 2400

rate 100000

At the OP: Hey this is Neowin! Windows 7 IS THE BEST OS EVER. How dare you even ask such a question! </sarcasm>

I dream for the day when we have an operating system that has the ability to move things in and out of RAM as required, and shift between processing certain tasks based on what the user's doing.

I mean, when we have an OS that advanced we wouldn't have to worry about background processes slowing down foreground games, because the OS could simply unload them from memory and stop processing their threads.