Updated mockups of Firefox 4.0 for Windows

Actually it doesn't look like chrome, it's almost a carbon copy ripoff of the Opera 10.5 UI, with the exception of the home button being in a different place. Way to be original Mozilla (Y)

I'd just like to point out that the Firefox mockup was released before the public saw the Opera 10.5 UI. (Click Here)

I'd just like to point out that the Firefox mockup was released before the public saw the Opera 10.5 UI. (Click Here)

Opera's was being worked on internally way before the Firefox mockup however. It does raise the question as to how they ended up so similar

I am going on overall world marketshare, not region by region.

In that case you are going by the US region because these stats are heavily US-centric.

Maybe you should read the comments. Opera has had that button since version 10.0, only disabled by default until 10.5. Also, the mockups were published two days after the leaked pre-alpha.

In that case you are going by the US region because these stats are heavily US-centric.

Maybe you should read the comments. Opera has had that button since version 10.0, only disabled by default until 10.5. Also, the mockups were published two days after the leaked pre-alpha.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp suggests to me that the global share is around 2.2%, but it is still low enough to shoot down your argument that Mozilla are somehow copying Opera's design because they are expecting a mass exodus of users. And if that feature has always been in Opera, and if the mockups where actually published after the Opera alpha leaks, you do realise that simply leads even more credence to the argument that they are copying Opera's design, right?

I'm not talking just about the button. But the overall UI. In fact, looking at both of the screenshots provided by that article make me think this isn't even an argument worth arguing about since they're really not all that much alike anyway.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp suggests to me that the global share is around 2.2%, but it is still low enough to shoot down your argument that Mozilla are somehow copying Opera's design because they are expecting a mass exodus of users. And if that feature has always been in Opera, and if the mockups where actually published after the Opera alpha leaks, you do realise that simply leads even more credence to the argument that they are copying Opera's design, right?

Those stats are even less relevant because they are only for that single site.

I don't get the parts about the design. First you claim that I claimed that Mozilla are copying Opera because they are expecting a mass exodus, something I never claimed. Then you mention the fact that the button has been there since Opera 10.0 which means that Mozilla copied it, if either of them did. Seems to be a contradiction there. All I did was to refute the claim that Opera copied Mozilla. I didn't claim that anyone copied anyone. But if anyone did copy anything, it was Mozilla that copied Opera.

Those stats are even less relevant because they are only for that single site.

I don't get the parts about the design. First you claim that I claimed that Mozilla are copying Opera because they are expecting a mass exodus, something I never claimed. Then you mention the fact that the button has been there since Opera 10.0 which means that Mozilla copied it, if either of them did. Seems to be a contradiction there. All I did was to refute the claim that Opera copied Mozilla. I didn't claim that anyone copied anyone. But if anyone did copy anything, it was Mozilla that copied Opera.

I never made the claim that Opera copied Mozilla :blink:

I never made the claim that Opera copied Mozilla :blink:

That's now what I said. What I was trying to say is that you made it sound like I said that Opera copied Mozilla even though I actually pointed out that Opera had it first.

It was droped.

I believe that's not exactly true: it may be dropped, but they just haven't quite settled on the exact release plan at the moment. It's looking more likely, though, afaik.

I believe that's not exactly true: it may be dropped, but they just haven't quite settled on the exact release plan at the moment. It's looking more likely, though, afaik.

I know it wasn't dropped. Mozilla is actively working on 1.9.3. My question is if the GUI will be the same of 3.6? I think the new mockups are now planned for FF 4, but I'm not sure.

They're using the version "Firefox.next" as when the UI work is going to be in it, whether that's 3.7 or 4.0 is another matter.

It does look like there's going to be an intermediate release based on 3.6 that's going to contain out of process plugins, that might become 3.6.2 (etc.) or jump to 3.7, It's still being discussed.

They're using the version "Firefox.next" as when the UI work is going to be in it, whether that's 3.7 or 4.0 is another matter.

It does look like there's going to be an intermediate release based on 3.6 that's going to contain out of process plugins, that might become 3.6.2 (etc.) or jump to 3.7, It's still being discussed.

What he said :)

What he said :)

FF362.jpg