New Gamer category & Hobbies forum added

Steven P.

The gamer category was created because it has been very active and deserves a separate category, you can find it directly under the OS platforms support.

I added a hobbies forum in the Recreational Activities category, which should cover everything that already doesn't have a forum for it. The hobbies should be recreational related, so not gaming, which is already covered in it's own category.

Lighthalzen

Oh... Nice change indeed! Thanks for the update!

Yusuf M.

Making the Gamers' Hangout a separate area was a good idea. It's one of the most active areas on Neowin and it definitely deserves recognition. As for a hobby section, I think it's a great idea. Any non-gaming activities should fit well there like painting model airplanes, etc.

Elliot B.

Instead of

"Neowin Forums ? Gamers' Hangout ? Gamers' Hangout", how about something like

"Neowin Forums ? Gamers' Hangout ? General Gaming" or something along those line

Steven P.
Instead of

"Neowin Forums ? Gamers' Hangout ? Gamers' Hangout", how about something like

"Neowin Forums ? Gamers' Hangout ? General Gaming" or something along those line

Changed category name to Gamer Support. Moved your topic and your PM inbox is full mustard ;)

Elliot B.
Changed category name to Gamer Support. Moved your topic and your PM inbox is full mustard ;)

Yep, had a little clean out ;)

That change is much clearer (Y)

Hot

Would it be frowned upon if I started an [official] masturbation discussion in the Hobbies section?

+Frank B.
Would it be frowned upon if I started an [official] masturbation discussion in the Hobbies section?

Yes.

Colin-uk

that topic may be better placed in the members metropolis.

Elliot B.

I think in general such topics would be acceptable, but in that case, it would clearly just turn crude and get locked.

Steven P.

Yes it would, if you really want to discuss that then you will have to buy a subscription because we have an area for that type of discussion away from unsuspecting innocent members or guests viewing our forum.

tomwarren

post-98-1261391903.jpg

Sir Topham Hatt

One request:

Change the "The Hobbies Corner" to "The Hobby Corner". I think that sounds a bit better.

However, apart from that, the gaming section is a big plus - a lot clearer! The new Hobby section should take off quite well, it might be worth keeping an eye on it though and have posts set out (with post headers) like the jokes forum (especially for cooking) (someone already started it).

All in all, a nice new look for 2010 :)

The Teej

That's awesome stuff, thanks Neobond!

Steven P.
One request:

Change the "The Hobbies Corner" to "The Hobby Corner". I think that sounds a bit better.

However, apart from that, the gaming section is a big plus - a lot clearer! The new Hobby section should take off quite well, it might be worth keeping an eye on it though and have posts set out (with post headers) like the jokes forum (especially for cooking) (someone already started it).

All in all, a nice new look for 2010 :)

Done, and thanks! :)

Hot

So I got 5 replies to my query within 5 minutes of posting it... To be honest, it sounds like Neowin NEEDS that official discussion thread.

Damo R.

liking the hobbies idea (Y)

Smashing Pumpkin

I have to say, the one thing i dislike here is the gamer support change.

I only ever really browse the gamers hangout forum, so I have that subforum bookmarked 9in my browser, used to be easy to click that bookmark, browse down the GH and then click MS Gaming, as I have a 360 and nothing else.

I know it's not a lot, but it just means now I need to bookmark gamers Support, and click GH and MS into two more tabs. Clearly more people prefer the new version though!

Stokkolm
I have to say, the one thing i dislike here is the gamer support change.

I only ever really browse the gamers hangout forum, so I have that subforum bookmarked 9in my browser, used to be easy to click that bookmark, browse down the GH and then click MS Gaming, as I have a 360 and nothing else.

I know it's not a lot, but it just means now I need to bookmark gamers Support, and click GH and MS into two more tabs. Clearly more people prefer the new version though!

If you think about it, all they did was move it up one level, so now instead of the subforums being in GH they are now their own forums in the main forum page. It should be easier as all you have to do is bookmark the gaming category or just go the main forum page.

Personally, I think the change to the gaming section of the forums is a great update and much needed.

Smashing Pumpkin

It really is a minor annoyance if anything, but you see, when gamer support is bookmarked, i need to open GH and MS, whereas before, I would bookmark GH, read GH and open MS in that tab once I had checked for new threads in GH.

The new way requires two different tabs if you see what I mean.

DirtyLarry
It really is a minor annoyance if anything, but you see, when gamer support is bookmarked, i need to open GH and MS, whereas before, I would bookmark GH, read GH and open MS in that tab once I had checked for new threads in GH.

The new way requires two different tabs if you see what I mean.

Not just you I just noticed this too. I used to love just going to the main GH, then seeing the other sections straight from there and seeing the "hot topic" of those sections so to speak and just being able to go to the sections from there. It was especially valuable for me when I was a Mod of that section actually. Now we need to go to Gamer Support, which has no topics in it so quite frankly I would never really go to it, and that is the only way to see the other sections.

It almost seems like there is an extra section for no reason and we need to click twice instead of once, meaning that Gamer Support should just be Gamers Hangout, unless Gamer Support will eventually have topics and posts in it?

.KICK

I do actually prefer the old layout, was much better!

Smashing Pumpkin
Not just you I just noticed this too. I used to love just going to the main GH, then seeing the other sections straight from there and seeing the "hot topic" of those sections so to speak and just being able to go to the sections from there. It was especially valuable for me when I was a Mod of that section actually. Now we need to go to Gamer Support, which has no topics in it so quite frankly I would never really go to it, and that is the only way to see the other sections.

It almost seems like there is an extra section for no reason and we need to click twice instead of once, meaning that Gamer Support should just be Gamers Hangout, unless Gamer Support will eventually have topics and posts in it?

I'm glad that someone else is thinking about this like me.

To be honest I don't see why people think that the Gamers Hangout needed it's own place like it has now, people are saying it was a much needed update but I don't see how when it makes the forum worse if anything.