New Gamer category & Hobbies forum added

+Audioboxer

I prefer the sections being separated (Sony/MS/Nintendo), it's especially useful for new members who don't need to go through the GH to realise there's dedicated sections for each platform/company.

Jimmy0

I'm with DL, .kick and Smashing Pumpkin on this one, the old layout for the GH was much better. I guess we'll just have to adjust.

Smashing Pumpkin

Oh yeah definitely AB, there need to be separated sections for MS, Sony, Nintendo, PC but I think it's better when they were in the GH and the GH had threads in it itself.

As then it had the advantages myself, Kick and Larry are talking about, and new users could see the dedicated forums easily enough as they were at the top of the GH so you would see them before the GH topics. besides, once a new user has seen the dedicated forums it's not as if they're going to forget about them is it.

.KICK

I don't know why it was separated, it was working pretty well before too!

Also, Mobile Gaming is totally useless, it is hardly used!

WastedJoker

Is there no way to have both options - separate list but have the other forums listed under GH?

Andrew Lyle

I like the new layout part for the gamers discussion. Makes it easier to navigate while on my iPhone

Damo R.
I like the new layout part for the gamers discussion. Makes it easier to navigate while on my iPhone

yeah I feel the same, navigation is much easier!

Lee G.

Nice. Thanks Neobond.

Sethos

Must admit I hate this "Gamer Support" layout. I loved hitting "Gamer's Hangout", sort of like a staging area and then you had

access to all the other sections on top, very convenient. Now I need to browse every section separately, feels like a very disconnected

experience. It's not even a change that makes sense, just a massive step down.

Tech Star
Must admit I hate this "Gamer Support" layout. I loved hitting "Gamer's Hangout", sort of like a staging area and then you had

access to all the other sections on top, very convenient. Now I need to browse every section separately, feels like a very disconnected

This. :(

It just makes it harder for a varied forum like Neowin. :/

Steven P.

Wow I can certainly feel for you if you have all consoles relating to the Gamer section at home, if not then I'm afraid I have no idea what you're talking about.

We have top level Windows Support forums, if you're running one flavour of a recent Windows version (in this case between XP and 7) why is it important for those versions to be in what you call a "staging area". Jeez. We have a Gamer Category now.. that there are no posts in the category itself is hardly something to cry over.

Smashing Pumpkin
Wow I can certainly feel for you if you have all consoles relating to the Gamer section at home, if not then I'm afraid I have no idea what you're talking about.

We have top level Windows Support forums, if you're running one flavour of a recent Windows version (in this case between XP and 7) why is it important for those versions to be in what you call a "staging area". Jeez. We have a Gamer Category now.. that there are no posts in the category itself is hardly something to cry over.

We're just providing honest feedback on the changes. It seems that people can't understand what we mean when we try to explain why we liked it the old way. It just makes sense to have the GH as a staging area with threads in it and sub forums, by creating GS it just creates another level to click through.

Sethos

What does windows support have to do with anything? The gaming scene these days usually means you can own multiple platforms and a lot of gamers do, especially around the "Gamer's Hangout" - So why separate it like that? I must say however, glad feedback is taken so well. ( The last bit was sarcasm, in case anyone missed it. )

Shadrack

I think it makes sense and is a lot easier to navigate now. I also think it will help reduce the number of threads that go into the "Gamer's Hangout" that are system specific posts since the subforums may not have been the most obvious to everyone.

.KICK

Wow, we are providing feedback and you just throw it back in our faces. What was the point of this topic?

The point is, it didn't even need changing, there were no issues with it whats so ever, no-one in GH complained before at all!

But it sounds like we don't have much say and will just have to get used to it.

AbandonedTrolley
What does windows support have to do with anything? The gaming scene these days usually means you can own multiple platforms and a lot of gamers do, especially around the "Gamer's Hangout" - So why separate it like that? I must say however, glad feedback is taken so well. ( The last bit was sarcasm, in case anyone missed it. )

I never realised you did sarcasm Sethos :o

I'm with what seems to be the growing popularity though, was a nicer layout before. It's now an empty subforum with subs from that, was nice to have that part populated with main game news and then the seperate manufacturers.

Smashing Pumpkin

Windows support is different. People only need to read the subforum that they have installed, be it XP, Vista, 7, granted some users have multiple OS' but most have just the one.

However in the gaming forums, people need to read the general GH for general gaming news and then their specific system thread. That's why it was good to have GH have all the general topics in it, scroll down there, scroll back up and click your system. Now it's just less fluid in that you need to open two separate subforums.

It used to be fluid and easy, not that it's hard now, it's just change for changes sake that in the end makes things worse. Then to simply cast aside honest feedback as crying over spilt milk just adds insult to injury, not the sort of attitude I expected from senior members.

Calum
So I got 5 replies to my query within 5 minutes of posting it... To be honest, it sounds like Neowin NEEDS that official discussion thread.

I would probably actually post in that thread if it was created in the correct section - the subscriber area (as suggested by Neobond) :D

About the 'Gamer Support/Gamers' Hangout' issue; I have a suggestion:

It seems a lot of the people complaining mainly (if not only) miss the fact they used to open the Gamers' Hangout forum to see the general gaming news first and then click through to their respective sub-forums? I have a suggestion for the administrators: How about if there were links to each of the new forums (Microsoft Console, Nintendo Console etc) in the top section of the general Gamers' Hangout forum, near 'Guidelines and Pointers for this Forum', if not in there? Perhaps these links could even be placed at the top of all the gaming forums? This idea would mean all the new forums would be kept on the same level (which I think makes sense), but users who are interested in general gaming news and/or more than one console will be able to quickly transition to any of the gaming forums.

Just an idea which might please everyone :) Similar to how there are links to Windows Live services in the 'Windows Live Software and Services' forum.

Sethos

It's a decent suggestion Calum but my 'problem' with it is, the Gamer's Hangout is one of those sections where members are very involved in each section because it's gaming, what goes on in one platform also reflects on the others plus at times, it can be a very fast moving section when news is released and especially around all these conventions and whatnot.

Now, before this change I could hit that magic "Gamer's Hangout" button and I would basically be taken to a mini-forum on its own right - I could see all the updates in every single sub-section, all 5 of them and all I had to do is press refresh - Very convenient!

With this change however, I need to open 6 tabs and refresh each one and check them all or refresh to entire forum list and scroll down every time to get an easy overview of all the sections of interest - That is annoying. No, it's not the end of the world but when you spend hours and hours a week browsing the forums and most of them time is spent in that one section alone, that change could easily get on your nerves very quickly as it changes the way you browse and not for the better.

We just lost the easy overview.

Corris

If you need a new bookmark I would use http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showforum=246

essentally the same, just one extra click for the multiplatform section, I would understand the drama back before browser tabs, lol.

Though personally I would have called the section "Gamers Hangout" and the top forum something on the lines of "Multiplatform Disscussion"

Sethos
If you need a new bookmark I would use http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showforum=246

essentally the same, just one extra click for the multiplatform section, I would understand the drama back before browser tabs, lol.

Though personally I would have called the section "Gamers Hangout" and the top forum something on the lines of "Multiplatform Disscussion"

I didn't even know you could click the overall section title :laugh: That overview will do actually - Disregard everything else I said :rofl: Though, nobody is touching the name "Gamer's Hangout" or I will go on a murderous rampage :p

Smashing Pumpkin

See now whilst that bookmark solution is alright, it's the first thing I did when I realised the changes had been made, it's not ideal, it's still worse than it was before. However it seems not enough people understand/empathise with me so we'll just have to get used to it.