A concert question.

I would really like to take my DSLR to a upcoming concert.. have you guys gone through security with any problems? Like did they say 'oh you have a DSLR that makes it a proffessional camera and you cannot take it in'.. -.-.. if you guys could help me out that would be great. I really do not want to take the P&S.

Obviously, different venues will have different rules. Some you might get away with it, others you might not. Upto you whether it's worth the risk or not at the end of the day.

Sometimes they never checked. Last concert I went to I'm angry at myself for not taking my DSLR. I could have hidden it under my jacket, they didn't check.

In most events its stated in rules that no dslr and professional cameras are allowed, thou in reality they rarely check. Especially if its a big event thers no time to check each person at the gates.

I'd ring the venue and check. If they say it's ok and the security try to give you any grief on the night just tell them that you're aware of the venue policy and you're allowed to bring it in.

I'll chime in with the ring-and-check. There are such varied rules - some say no DSLRs, some say no cameras at all (how you enforce that with the ubiquity of cellphone cameras I have no idea), some same DSLRs are allowed but no lenses over a certain focal length (again, hard to discern for non-photographers on the door). So the best policy is to just ring and check.

ah thanks guys. It's just I'll be going directly to the venue after school and I don't have a car. I'll be taking the bus so I can't really take my camera back to the car. But yeah I should give the venue a ring. and moonman.. it's in my sig :D, Max89.. yeah well I could sneak it in really easily.. I just don't want to be disturbed during the show.. or even the possibility of me being thrown out is not worth it.

Yup, it all depends on the venue. It's better to call both the venue holder, or if it's a smaller venue, the event manager. I've been to concerts where they don't allow detachable lens cameras, aka anything other than the point and shoot.

OK, here is how to do it:

No Flash,

One person take the body, no lenses, tell them you just finished a shoot, and did not want to leave in a car.

Second person take a lens, and if possible get a 'eye cap', which turns a lens into a simple monocle.

When I couldn't get permission, this is how I get it in.