Planetary systems now forming in Orion Nebula

orionproplyds_hst.jpg

Planetary Systems Now Forming in Orion

Credit: NASA, ESA, M. Robberto (STScI/ESA), the HST Orion Treasury Project Team, & L. Ricci (ESO) Explanation: How do planets form? To help find out, the Hubble Space Telescope was tasked to take a detailed look at one of the more interesting of all astronomical nebulae, the Great Nebula in Orion. The Orion nebula, visible with the

near the belt in the constellation of Orion, is an immense nearby starbirth region and probably the most famous of all astronomical nebulas. Insets to the above mosaic show numerous proplyds, many of which are stellar nurseries likely harboring planetary systems in formation. Some proplyds glow as close disks surrounding bright stars light up, while other proplyds contain disks further from their host star, contain cooler dust, and hence appear as dark silhouettes against brighter gas. Studying this dust, in particular, is giving insight for how planets are forming. Many proplyd images also show arcs that are
- fronts where fast moving material encounters slow moving gas. The Orion Nebula lies about 1,500 light years distant and is located in the same spiral arm of our Galaxy as our Sun.

WOW:

that is so freakin AWESOME!!!.

but i dont thinkso we will be able to see a planet form before the death of our own ..

Due to the delay of light traveling from there to here, could it be possible that they have already formed?

Cool, how many years ago would of that image happened? anyone hazard a guess? (for those who don't know everything we see from outer space is from the past, the further away it is [from us] the further in the past it is; that alone makes it pretty awesome!)

:pinch:

That is light years which is a measure of distance not time!

A light-year is equal to:

* exactly 9,460,730,472,580.8 km (about 10 Pm)

* about 5,878,630,000,000 miles

* about 63,241.1 astronomical units

* about 0.306601 parsecs

Yeah but the whole point of it being called a light year means it would take 1 realtime year for every light year travelled, so if it was 1500 light years away the event occurred 1500 years ago.

That is light years which is a measure of distance not time!

It's called light years is because it's that long it takes for the light(what you see the images) to get to use so that happen 1500 years ago

facepalm....

light travels at a constant speed...

Sometimes it needs to stop or slow down for a black hole though :p

Also that's not entirely true, but it's true enough.

Yeah but the whole point of it being called a light year means it would take 1 realtime year for every light year travelled, so if it was 1500 light years away the event occurred 1500 years ago.
It's called light years is because it's that long it takes for the light(what you see the images) to get to use so that happen 1500 years ago

Ok your right. I just had this weird notion it wasn't for some reason, no idea why....:p

were searching for Others and now seems that They - from this nebula will look for us some day. of course if life is common in the universe ;P

there has to be life out there somewhere, otherwise what would be the point of all that empty space, stars, planets etc?? Just something pretty to look at?

That is the question of the ages! While some will argue Earth was a freak accident and the probability that there is a planet just like Earth within the "habitability zone" of a solar system orbiting around the right kind of star with the right amount of water, right air mixture etc is so remote chances are we are the only life out there...I don't subscribe to that school of thought though. Life has proven it can survive in the most extreme of environments on this planet and that has lead to scientists to believe there might be life on Mars and/or Europa's oceans etc sadly they've found squat but that isn't to say they'll never find anything. Considering the shear scale of the universe I find it more absurd to think we are the only intelligent life in this universe, I'm positive there are civilizations out there...will we ever meet them? doubtful as the universe is so damn big! but will we ever stop trying? hell no! who knows, maybe we find them or they find us ;)

That is the question of the ages! While some will argue Earth was a freak accident and the probability that there is a planet just like Earth within the "habitability zone" of a solar system orbiting around the right kind of star with the right amount of water, right air mixture etc is so remote chances are we are the only life out there...I don't subscribe to that school of thought though. Life has proven it can survive in the most extreme of environments on this planet and that has lead to scientists to believe there might be life on Mars and/or Europa's oceans etc sadly they've found squat but that isn't to say they'll never find anything. Considering the shear scale of the universe I find it more absurd to think we are the only intelligent life in this universe, I'm positive there are civilizations out there...will we ever meet them? doubtful as the universe is so damn big! but will we ever stop trying? hell no! who knows, maybe we find them or they find us ;)

It's called the Drake equation.

And am I the only one who finds humor in the fact that this region of space has been called the birthplace of star systems........y'know...below Orion's belt...

Okay, I'll stop...

It's called the Drake equation.

And am I the only one who finds humor in the fact that this region of space has been called the birthplace of star systems........y'know...below Orion's belt...

Okay, I'll stop...

if we cant create carbon-based life in laboratory conditions, and all life forms as we know it are carbon-based, whats stopping life forms based on other substances from existing?