Planetary systems now forming in Orion Nebula

Geoffrey B.

Perhaps in a few million years we will have some neighbors lol.

FloatingFatMan
Perhaps in a few million years we will have some neighbors lol.

Make that a few billion. :p

The_Decryptor
if we cant create carbon-based life in laboratory conditions, and all life forms as we know it are carbon-based, whats stopping life forms based on other substances from existing?

Carbon based life takes a really long time to form, we've only been at it for a very short time span.

And nothing's stopping life from being based on other substances (I think anyway), but because we have no evidence of it occurring we don't look for it (since looking for every single possibility on every single planet = slow, while looking at a sample found = fast)

carmatic
Carbon based life takes a really long time to form, we've only been at it for a very short time span.

And nothing's stopping life from being based on other substances (I think anyway), but because we have no evidence of it occurring we don't look for it (since looking for every single possibility on every single planet = slow, while looking at a sample found = fast)

cuz i was thinking, for example, europa, the moon of jupiter with frozen water... they sent a probe looking for carbon life into it, but perhaps that caused an extinction event for the non-carbon-based lifeforms already living there...

Mr. Gibs

That's pretty cool. Sadly this happenned so far away that the planets could have already been formed by now but we'll never get to see it as most of us will be dead by the time the light gets to us =(

Of random note, that would make a pretty cool wallpaper without the zoom-ins LOL

That is light years which is a measure of distance not time!

Oh wow... :rofl:

lt8480

For those who want this without the zoom-ins... its M43 (Google sky it)

I find using the historical map the easiest way to find / relocate things, so alternatively you can zoom into orion

Historical Map

FloatingFatMan
That's pretty cool. Sadly this happenned so far away that the planets could have already been formed by now but we'll never get to see it as most of us will be dead by the time the light gets to us =(

Not a chance. It takes millions of years for planets to form. Those systems will be virtually indistinguishable now from how they were 1500 years ago.

PricklyPoo
right amount of water, right air mixture etc

Have you ever thought that maybe life adapts to its surroundings, not the other way around?

Zain Adeel

thinking outside the box i would say life could be some other chemical based.

not carbon.

But we can only search for carbon as its easier because we know in what conditions carbon based life exists.

LOC

I'm pretty sure there are other ways for life to exist in the ENTIRE Universe than just carbon based.

As was said above, what's the point then of everything else? I suppose it gets down to a religious/philisophical question in the end but really, what's the point of the vastness of the Universe and all the wonderful amazing things in it if it's just empty everywhere but here on Earth?

Lezard

Flip a coin so many times, that maybe, just maybe, it will land standing. IMHO

Xerxes

Of random note, that would make a pretty cool wallpaper without the zoom-ins LOL

Oh wow... :rofl:

:blink: what? it's still (half) correct!

Have you ever thought that maybe life adapts to its surroundings, not the other way around?

Umm can't you read?!? the first part was describing what other people claim and the second part was what I though, to which I said life has proven to exist in all kinda of extremes!

However, back to that you'll be surprised what people (including scientists) strongly believe life needs the correct surroundings to evolve, they argue if life can adapt to it's surroundings why isn't the universe teaming with life? (a pointless argument since how can it be proved/disproved?) this is also why they are looking for Earth-like planets (to which they have been damn close to finding a few too), they go on how delicate life is and how if the planet is a degree too hot (or cold) or the balance of gases in the atmosphere is slightly off it'll snuff out the life. They completely dismiss the life forms that live on volcanic vents under the sea and life forms that live in sub-zero conditions in the Antarctic. They just brush that off and claim only basic life can exist in those conditions, saying for intelligent life to exist the conditions need to be more exacting. Once again I do not follow this school of thought, I'm just bringing forward what the opposition believe on this and what I said here is merely the "tip of the iceberg" as these guys go into immense detail. Personally I think intelligent life does exists elsewhere in the universe (if not all over) and I think it's arrogant and single minded to believe we are the only intelligent life in the universe.

Scorbing
Though we're looking 1,500 years in the past.

Agreed. Those solar system are formed already. We are looking at the past every time we look at the sky through a telescope. What an amazing thing the universe is.

FloatingFatMan
I'm pretty sure there are other ways for life to exist in the ENTIRE Universe than just carbon based.

As was said above, what's the point then of everything else? I suppose it gets down to a religious/philisophical question in the end but really, what's the point of the vastness of the Universe and all the wonderful amazing things in it if it's just empty everywhere but here on Earth?

Whilst it IS entirely possible for life to be based upon other chemicals, such as silicon; the chances of it doing so are much lower as carbon is WAY more reactive than many of the other possibilities.

Assuming there is other life out there (and there has to be, somewhere), then it's chances of being based upon carbon are fairly high.

HawkMan
Whilst it IS entirely possible for life to be based upon other chemicals, such as silicon; the chances of it doing so are much lower as carbon is WAY more reactive than many of the other possibilities.

Assuming there is other life out there (and there has to be, somewhere), then it's chances of being based upon carbon are fairly high.

Due to the sheer number of systems in just a small area of our own galaxy, the chances of carbon based life is fairly high, and due to the same numbers, there's probably life based on other base materials as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Awsta
For those who want this without the zoom-ins... its M43 (Google sky it)

I find using the historical map the easiest way to find / relocate things, so alternatively you can zoom into orion

Historical Map

M43 is actually just a part of M42, which is the Orion nebula.

vincent
Agreed. Those solar system are formed already. We are looking at the past every time we look at the sky through a telescope. What an amazing thing the universe is.

Solar systems don't form in 1,500 yrs