[Official] Bioshock 2

P.S. Multiplayer? Interesting stuff. Seems like an odd choice of game to put multiplayer in

Developed by another team again, Singapore 2K I think. Cheaper to outsource it to them.

The reason MP is included is simple. Less likely to sell it second hand, more DLC they can shovel and they see more money from the game.

Damn, seriously? I wish I knew that back in 2007. May have to give it another shot :).

There was an achievement/trophy for beating it on hard with them turned off (and also for survivor mode on the PS3), and I'm 100% sure there was the option on PC, too.

Bioshock 2 got its first 2 reviews!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=231532

PSM3 awarded the follow-up 93%, saying it "tops the original in terms of storytelling and combat."
PC Gamer meanwhile went with a lower but still impressive score of 90%, concluding that "the mechanics that made the original BioShock such fun return, better than before," and "it's still better written than pretty much anything else out there."

I don't trust magazine scores for a second, they are normally FAR to generous with their scoring. But still 90%? Does that mean we'll see more critical reviews putting it at 85%-80%? A full 10% below the first? :/

I really don't get scores. To me, 80 is good...that means if 50 is average it is better than that fifty.

I never understood why 80% games are looked at negatively. Maybe it's a grade scale people put on? Like, 80% = B? But in school, B's are good, right?

But still, the quotes I posted is enough to have me excited for the game (Y)

I never understood why 80% games are looked at negatively.

80% is good, but I've always enjoyed the '-shock' franchise all the way from SS1. I don't want some second rate sequel to cash in on the first games success.

I really don't get scores. To me, 80 is good...that means if 50 is average it is better than that fifty.

I never understood why 80% games are looked at negatively. Maybe it's a grade scale people put on? Like, 80% = B? But in school, B's are good, right?

It all comes mostly from this generation of gaming, everything has to be a AAA title to be any good, which mostly comes from the slinging of crap between Ps3 and Xbox360 sides and who has better games etc.

People put too much emphasis on the higher scores, and what is worse magazine and site reviews mostly don't use the full scale of 1 to 10 properly. A 5 should be mediocre/average, a game that is alright but bad in whatever way, but instead these should be 5 games get stuck up in the 7/8's which then boosts games that are great and should be around 7/8 into 9/10's.

There is also the illusion of a 10 being "perfect", when no game will ever be, its just a really really good game.

1up seemed to try and use a better system with the grading like in school, but then sites like metacritic come along and assign some value to it which then gets thrown back in with all these other scores not using the same standard.

To the point, review scores are all broken, and you should always read what a reviewer says and then make up your own mind.

[/moan]

lol.

1up seemed to try and use a better system with the grading like in school, but then sites like metacritic come along and assign some value to it which then gets thrown back in with all these other scores not using the same standard

To the point, review scores are all broken, and you should always read what a reviewer says and then make up your own mind.

Destructoid has a better system: Bin it, Rent it, Buy it. :D

Well, in my defense, I can only look at the scores because I'm not paying upwards of ?6-8 for a ****ty magazine. Christ, Custom PC use to be ?3! I saw it on the shelf y'day for ?5. Extortionate! No wonder print is dead.

This is exactly why I don't care what scores a game gets. The first thing I always try to look at is the demo. Granted, some demos make some games appear better than they are, but this is generally a good way to get a feel for the game. Failing a demo, I'll read reviews, but I won't pay much attention to the scores they assign, but more to what they say about the gameplay.

But still, the quotes I posted is enough to have me excited for the game (Y)

reviewers dont go by 50% being average

from the picture i get 70-75% is average

the original hacking method was awful, sometimes you got ones which were almost impossible without a buyout/autohack.

will bioshock 2 use your save from the first game like me2 does?

the original hacking method was awful, sometimes you got ones which were almost impossible without a buyout/autohack.

I don't think any game uses your save from the first game like me2 does

But considering you're playing a completely different character than you played in the first, I would guess no

Nope, I dont think there many variables to even considering carrying anything over.

I don't think any game uses your save from the first game like me2 does

I know a few that have continued a previous games saves in different ways.

I don't trust magazine scores for a second, they are normally FAR to generous with their scoring. But still 90%? Does that mean we'll see more critical reviews putting it at 85%-80%? A full 10% below the first? :/

If by "more critical" you mean "reviewers who are either trying to generate hits / magazine sales, or who don't like the genre to begin with", then yes.

I just read that the entire Big Sister thing has been scrapped, and that the character has been made into a Big Daddy type of thing, where there are multiple ones, and their origins are never explained in the game.

The only thing mildly interesting was the fact that she could come at any time. Now, they take that away?

Ugh.

From OXM, Jordan Thomas apparently confirmed it on the forums too.

"Bioshock 2: Set sail for fail" :laugh:

If by "more critical" you mean "reviewers who are either trying to generate hits / magazine sales, or who don't like the genre to begin with", then yes.

No I mean reviews who have some credibility. Like Giant Bomb.

3:15 long trailer debuting tonight on Jimmy Fallon's show

"Debuting during the first commercial block of NBC's Late Night with Jimmy Fallon exclusively in North America, the launch trailer is a realization of the elements that BioShock 2 fans have been clamoring for. Breathtaking action set against the backdrop of a decaying underwater Utopia provides players with the slice of Rapture that awaits them next week, all presented in a style that is distinctively representative of the BioShock universe."

http://kotaku.com/5462732/new-bioshock-2-trailer-debuts-tonight-on-nbc