Beware XFX Video card lifetime warranty

urjoc

Hi everyone!

I would like to share my experience.....

On 2008 March 30th, I bought an XFX video card that was advertised as lifetime warranty from NCIX.com. At this time I was not aware that in fact the card came with one year warranty and that to enable the lifetime warranty, I had to register the card to XFX within 30 days from purchase. Everything went fine until last month because for some reasons, the heatsink fan died making the GPU overheat and 3 capacitors exploded. Then the computer started making lines and colored squares all around the screen and became unstable. Fortunatly the card didn't wreck the whole system, I threw a spare card I had on hand in and everything returned to normal.

Here is a picture of the card:

IMG_4213.jpg

Here is a picture of one of the capacitors that exploded:

IMG_4214.jpg

Here is a scan (censored for privacy) of the original invoice:

Scan1.jpg

Here is a transcript of the discussion I had with XFX:

[ME 12/13/2009 10:13:27 PM] well, the heatsink cooling fan died, making the GPU overheat and 3 capacitors exploded, the card is now unstable and useless.

[DANIEL_E 12/16/2009 6:34:16 PM] Hi, how long have you had the card? Do other video cards work fine in the same system? We regret to say that we can not cover this card under warranty. This card is now over one year old and is out of warranty. Let us know if you ever need anything else. Thank you.

[ME 12/18/2009 12:12:31 AM] Hello, I`ve bought the card new from NCIX.com on March 30th of 2008. Fortunately your card didn`t wreck the whole system, It`s now running stable on a spare ATI Radeon X600SE and it will be like this until you provide a replacement for my broken card because actually, I regret to say that it`s on lifetime warranty. Let me know if you need a copy of the invoice. Thank you.

[DANIEL_E 12/18/2009 11:02:50 PM] Cards must be registered within 30 days from purchase to qualify for our lifetime warranty. The card was registered on 12/13/2009. Daniel

[ME 12/19/2009 1:56:14 AM] I don`t care, here is your last chance to honor what you advertise.... are you really ready to loose way more than what this card would cost you?

[MARK_C 12/21/2009 5:47:59 PM] Hello Jocelyn, The warranty that we advertise says registration required within thirty days of purchase. Everywhere that we put our warranty information it says that registration is required. The registration requirement isn`t something specific to us even. Every lifetime warranty video card manufacturer requires the same registration within thirty days. Some manufacturers with two year warranties require registration or the warranty is only one year. Some motherboard manufacturers require registration. Cameras, bluetooth headsets, printers, all kinds of electronics require registration to extend their warranties. It isn`t something new or rare. It is normal. Yes, we will not be able to cover this card under warranty. The warranty period on it has expired. Thank you. Mark

So the reasons why I'm posting this are:

1 - I clearly understand the fact that I'm all wrong because I didn't register the card within 30 days from purchase.... (I bought the product, I paid for it, I installed the hardware, I installed the software-driver, I was happy with the product at this time, sorry I forgot to hire a lawyer to make sure everything was done right)............. so I would like to remind everybody to PLEASE DON'T FORGET THE REGISTRATION and TAKE TIME TO READ EVERYTHING.

2 - From this situation, I understand that XFX's priorities (*) are using legal traps (as marketing strategy) to save a buck over consumer satisfaction........... for this reason I would like to say that I won't buy any more products from this company and I wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends either.

(*) - This card had cost me 110$, probably around 55$ cost to NCIX, probably around 15-20$ to XFX.

+shift.

You'll find that EVGA, XFX, BFG all have the same policy no matter how expensive your item is. Your lifetime warranty is only valid if the product is registered within 30 days.

Prince Charming

Sucks, but yeah. Read the fine print. There's no point doing the 'Don't buy from XFX/I will never buy from XFX again' thing either, because as you said, as XFX said, and as a previous poster said, this is common industry practice.

+LogicalApex

Yea I try to stress reading the warranty policy on every product we purchase for the reason. Never take anything stated on the box or in some brochure as fact as they are very often lies.

There isn't anything you can do unless you find that a registration isn't a legal way to limit warranty legnth in your jurisdiction.

Sadly it is a very common tactic to do stuff like this by companies because they know very very few people read all of the fine print details.

+shift.

I wouldn't say the stuff on the box is a lie, but a lot of time it doesn't include what you really need to pay attention (such as remembering to register your product)

Unrealistic

This happened to me a while back with a company. I am not allowed to discuss the company online, but they did end up giving me the Lifetime Warranty after complaining. I searched on Google Business and found the Owner and CEO's e-mails, and wrote a letter to them. After that, the issue was solved and I ended up with working parts.

Don't give up. If this is your first product being registered with them and you complain enough, they will usually give in. Best of luck to you and Merry Christmas!

+LogicalApex
I wouldn't say the stuff on the box is a lie, but a lot of time it doesn't include what you really need to pay attention (such as remembering to register your product)

Well it is a lie because some companies will say "Lifetime Warranty" and when you read the policy directly they limit the definition of lifetime to being the market lifetime of the product. So when they no longer manufacture the card they are free to deny the consumer their "Lifetime" warranty.

They can also add all kinds of nonsense exclusions that void your warranty.

The only way to know for sure what is covered and what isn't is to read the legal warranty policy they shove in their box and sometimes on their website; "the fine print". It is only that "fine print" that you could argue in a court with them if you had to resort to that.

strelok1911

Yay I have registered my 9600GT the same that I bought it.

Thanks for the heads up with the warranty and I'm sorry for your loss (hardware wise :p)

Malisk

Yes, it's obviously a sneaky practice to cut down on the number of potential warranty cases, there's no doubt they do it because of that, but I'm not sure there's much to do about it. :( The store is most certainly not doing anything wrong. If they'd give you a new card for free, they'd have to pay for it instead, since the card manufacturer sure won't hand them a replacement. :(

HawkMan
Hi everyone!

1 - I clearly understand the fact that I'm all wrong because I didn't register the card within 30 days from purchase.... (I bought the product, I paid for it, I installed the hardware, I installed the software-driver, I was happy with the product at this time, sorry I forgot to hire a lawyer to make sure everything was done right)............. so I would like to remind everybody to PLEASE DON'T FORGET THE REGISTRATION and TAKE TIME TO READ EVERYTHING.

2 - From this situation, I understand that XFX's priorities (*) are using legal traps (as marketing strategy) to save a buck over consumer satisfaction........... for this reason I would like to say that I won't buy any more products from this company and I wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends either.

(*) - This card had cost me 110$, probably around 55$ cost to NCIX, probably around 15-20$ to XFX.

computer and electronics stores don't have anywhere near those kinds of profits form products. retailers are lucky to get 10-20% from the base price(without the VAT included) electronics and electrics have horrible profits, regular stores can get up to 30% if they're lucky, but they also have to pay more for the product than online stores so that only works in smaller towns where people are willing to support the store.

Personally the fact that they offer a lifetime warranty would keep me with them. you can't blame them for you not reading the obvious paperwork. the 1 year warranty is through the retailer, the lifetime is through XFX, without registering and POP they can't know that you're being honest. And in this day and age, you can't trust people.

urjoc
You'll find that EVGA, XFX, BFG all have the same policy no matter how expensive your item is. Your lifetime warranty is only valid if the product is registered within 30 days.
Sucks, but yeah. Read the fine print. There's no point doing the 'Don't buy from XFX/I will never buy from XFX again' thing either, because as you said, as XFX said, and as a previous poster said, this is common industry practice.
Yea I try to stress reading the warranty policy on every product we purchase for the reason. Never take anything stated on the box or in some brochure as fact as they are very often lies.

There isn't anything you can do unless you find that a registration isn't a legal way to limit warranty legnth in your jurisdiction.

Sadly it is a very common tactic to do stuff like this by companies because they know very very few people read all of the fine print details.

XFX is not responsible for your stupidity.

sorry for you to be so much brainwashed!

Edited by urjoc
waxyourhairoff

XFX is not responsible for your stupidity.

urjoc
computer and electronics stores don't have anywhere near those kinds of profits form products. retailers are lucky to get 10-20% from the base price(without the VAT included) electronics and electrics have horrible profits, regular stores can get up to 30% if they're lucky, but they also have to pay more for the product than online stores so that only works in smaller towns where people are willing to support the store.

Personally the fact that they offer a lifetime warranty would keep me with them. you can't blame them for you not reading the obvious paperwork. the 1 year warranty is through the retailer, the lifetime is through XFX, without registering and POP they can't know that you're being honest. And in this day and age, you can't trust people.

I had to RMA a power supply couple month ago for a sporadic problem.... I asked them to ship me a new one right off then I would ship the defective one when I get the replacement...... they agreed with that so they have put a hold for the cost value on my credit card until they got the defective one back.... I can tell you there was around 100% markup between the hold on my credit card and the price I've paid for the power supply.

HawkMan
I had to RMA a power supply couple month ago for a sporadic problem.... I asked them to ship me a new one right off then I would ship the defective one when I get the replacement...... they agreed with that so they have put a hold for the cost value on my credit card until they got the defective one back.... I can tell you there was around 100% markup between the hold on my credit card and the price I've paid for the power supply.

you are assuming they actually charged full price for the replacement, And I dunno about canada, but there's also 25% VAT to consider wich aren't included in that charge.

but the only way you're getting anything close to even 30# markup is by either selling really crap stuff, which does have higher markup because it's even cheaper to buy, but in total they could be a loss due to the high return rates. or it's one of the overpriced expensive brands which can afford to do higher markup. Bu even in the best case, 30-35% is the best any electronics store is going to get from anything they sell.

urjoc
you are assuming they actually charged full price for the replacement, And I dunno about canada, but there's also 25% VAT to consider wich aren't included in that charge.

but the only way you're getting anything close to even 30# markup is by either selling really crap stuff, which does have higher markup because it's even cheaper to buy, but in total they could be a loss due to the high return rates. or it's one of the overpriced expensive brands which can afford to do higher markup. Bu even in the best case, 30-35% is the best any electronics store is going to get from anything they sell.

whatever, even at 30% markup it would have still been more profitable to them to satisfy me right off.

soldier1st

as they said about the lifetime warranty you had 30 days to register to be eligable for the lifetime warranty but it is clearly your fault that you did not register in time as you did or should have known about the 30 days thing so you are not able to get a replacement free of charge so you will need to spend more money and read for the next time.

+shift.

Brainwashed or not, I'm happily enjoying the lifetime warranty I got for my EVGA 9600GT that I registered within 30 days for! :cool:

Vice

This is why you always read the fine print. I have little sympathy for you because you bought the card and did not read the included booklets. I have dual GTX260's which I enjoy lifetime warranty on because I registered them the day they arrived. Whose fault is it that you don't have coverage? Yours.

urjoc
Brainwashed or not, I'm happily enjoying the lifetime warranty I got for my EVGA 9600GT that I registered within 30 days for! :cool:

Don't worry, I won't fall in the same trap twice! :)

Sophism

this.

urjoc
This is why you always read the fine print. I have little sympathy for you because you bought the card and did not read the included booklets. I have dual GTX260's which I enjoy lifetime warranty on because I registered them the day they arrived. Whose fault is it that you don't have coverage? Yours.

I also have dual GTX275's and luckily they've been registered the week I got them, not for the warranty but for the game that came with.

+LogicalApex

Brainwashed?

Subject Delta

Looks like the same model of 8600GT that I used to own.

Bit of a disappointment, but I can understand their POV on this, it sucks that they make you register for extra warranty.

urjoc
Brainwashed?

Sorry, I clicked on the quote button under your reply too quickly and cannot edit my message :wacko:

Stanczyk
whatever, even at 30% markup it would have still been more profitable to them to satisfy me right off.

Dude, stop whining and read the fine print. You think you are entitled to anything? No, you are not. On top of that you were rude to the CSR.

"I don`t care, here is your last chance to honor what you advertise.... are you really ready to loose way more than what this card would cost you?

I am more than happy with the EVGA and XFX products. Yes, I did register my stuff within 30 days.