Longhorn Beta 1

2 members have voted

1. 1. Longhorn Beta 1

• November 2001
    • Feburary 2002
    • March 2002
    • Never! It will be cancelled.

Longhorn will probably have minor updates, similar to the upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows Me. I do hope that is has something that will make it worth upgrading to.

heh if Longhorn is to XP as WinME is to 98 wouldn't that be a downgrade? i know in all my experience WinME has been the worst piece of garbage that i've seen. Just a money making ploy for MS. I love xp but hope MS learned its lesson and won't release garbage onto the public like they did with WinME. Not to beat up on MS but i just found the last comment funny.

My point was that the update would be minor and would have very few exciting changes except from your regular bundled software updates such as IE 6.1/6.5, WMP 8.5/9, Windows Messenger 4.5/6 (I put the slashes because I am not sure of the versions that will be included with this release). Like I said before, I hope that the upgrade will have a new feature(s) that would make it worth buying.

Windows ME was a mistake by Microsoft because I and almost everyone else would agree that the kernel that supported(!) the OS would be able to support all of the bloating that this OS had. Windows 2000 should have been the upgrade to Windows 98, not Windows ME.

I guess it will include [like ME]:

# A new version of DirectX [7.1 for WinME - it was never released].

# A new version of IE [5.5 for WinME - it was apparently RUSHED].

# A new programm [like Movie Maker].

# Some new games [like Spider solitaire which was first in WinME].

# Boots up faster.

# More drivers included [no need for inserting 100's of disks].

# A new system feature [like System Restore].

# A new version of Media Player [7 for WinME].

Basically, nothing worth really upgrading to. I was REALLY disappointed [at the time] that WinME didn't include DirectX8 as it said it did in a review.

I guess everyone will upgrade unless it's much slower [like WinME]. WinME pushed up the minimum amount of RAM to 64MB... it doesn't run well on less (though it says it can run on 32mb - LMAO).

-mortensenj