some blue ray movies look like plain old dvd's?

draelas

i bought a blue ray player yesterday. got a few movies with it. just to check out the quality i put in Madagascar 2, and Benjamin button. both looked amazing. then i put in oceans 13, and it looked all grainy and wasnt very high def at all. to be honest it looked like a regular dvd.

actually it upconverted my old star wars dvd, and it looked better then this movie.

whats the deal?

Setnom

Some will be like that. It's unfortunate that the companies don't try harder with older movies. An awesome example of an "old" movie with the perfect HD treatment is "2001: A Space Odyssey".

Geoffrey B.

Keep in mind you can put any video on a BluRay disk however if it was not filmed in HD then its just upscaled video. So it would look like just anything put on the Tele. If it was not recorded at the higher resolution then it wont play that way.

Some will be like that. It's unfortunate that the companies don't try harder with older movies. An awesome example of an "old" movie with the perfect HD treatment is "2001: A Space Odyssey".

The Sound of Music in HD is rather amazing as well because you can see stuff in the background that you could not previously see due to the resolution. It was very well done when they remastered it and did the Upscaling on it.

protocol7

Escape From New York was another case of a bluray being a blatant SD upscale. The first edition of The Fifth Element was a mess, but they later fixed it with a proper remastered release.

Similarly, some DVDs look like VHS transfers. It's all down to the quality of the source video. But for recent films there's no excuse for getting it wrong.

Edited by protocol7
max84

That's why I always read reviews first, and if the picture quality is said to be mediocre I don't get the Blu-Ray.

draelas

ya, this is my first time buying/using blue ray. i guess i was being naive and just assumed if it said blue ray, it was the high def version. now i know better.

at least the lesson only cost me $5.

draelas

awesome, thank you very much.

Waylander

blu-ray.com isnt the best site, they defiantly overrate things if the studio gives them some money. the layout is awful but dvdbeaver is a better site for bluray reviews and comparisons

Richard Hammond
ya, this is my first time buying/using blue ray. i guess i was being naive and just assumed if it said blue ray, it was the high def version. now i know better.

at least the lesson only cost me $5.

Technically blu-ray IS high def, high def means 720p or 1080p it doesnt have anything to do with picture quality though having a film in HD usually means you get more detail and everythings sharper, all depends on wether the studios want to put the work in or they just want to do a quick and dirty release.

The_Observer
blu-ray.com isnt the best site, they defiantly overrate things if the studio gives them some money. the layout is awful but dvdbeaver is a better site for bluray reviews and comparisons

i agree! that site was overloaded with too much, as soon as i seen it, i clicked the close button...

Andrew Lyle

There is a couple of movies in my collection that don't look very good on blu-ray. However, movies like Ghost in the Shell 2.0 look amazing on blu-ray!

Phantom Helix
Keep in mind you can put any video on a BluRay disk however if it was not filmed in HD then its just upscaled video. So it would look like just anything put on the Tele. If it was not recorded at the higher resolution then it wont play that way.

The Sound of Music in HD is rather amazing as well because you can see stuff in the background that you could not previously see due to the resolution. It was very well done when they remastered it and did the Upscaling on it.

No such thing as being filmed in HD

You do realize any "Hollywood" level movie filmed is in its original form from as far back as the 40's or farther is much higher definition that 1080p right?

It just depends on if they re-master the film to 1080p from its original master source or just take the what they have previously released on VHS/DVD and upscale it to blu-ray to save a buck

Joni_78

If it actually looks awfull then it hasn't been remastered but there is still alot more detail compared to DVD.

Also keep in mind that all Blu-rays have alot of grain (noise produced by cameras) because it's so high resolution, it just isn't visible on DVD resolution. Only exception is animation movies which don't have any noise at all because there are no cameras used.

+Audioboxer

The Oceans Trilogy is pretty terrible, bad transfer.

Sometimes it depends on how they were shot, other times it's just a poor job.

You want to see a bad Blu Ray, watch 28 Days Later, it's awful. That's to do with the camera it was shot with I believe though.

I feel sorry for anyone who gets that as their first BD to go alongside their player :laugh:

Phantom Helix
The Oceans Trilogy is pretty terrible, bad transfer.

Sometimes it depends on how they were shot, other times it's just a poor job.

You want to see a bad Blu Ray, watch 28 Days Later, it's awful. That's to do with the camera it was shot with I believe though.

I feel sorry for anyone who gets that as their first BD to go alongside their player :laugh:

Yea I forgot about movies like 28 days later, or cloverfield, when sub standard cameras/film/lenses are used it looks really bad when it is upscaled

soniqstylz
i bought a blue ray player yesterday. got a few movies with it. just to check out the quality i put in Madagascar 2, and Benjamin button. both looked amazing. then i put in oceans 13, and it looked all grainy and wasnt very high def at all. to be honest it looked like a regular dvd.

actually it upconverted my old star wars dvd, and it looked better then this movie.

whats the deal?

Re: Ocean's 13, it's the source material, the movie itself was filmed grainy, and made to have the look and feel of the 60's caper movies that the series is based from. It's intentional, not the technology.

DaDude

Agreed 100%. They definitely overrated the first Chronicles of Narnia movie. While the movie looks better than it's DVD counterpart, it's one of the most washed out looking HD pictures I've seen on Blu. Definitely didn't deserve that 5 star.

Fred Derf

"Filmed in HD" refers to television that is shot on digital video. Movies, traditionally shot on high resolution film, can handle being remastered onto Blu-Ray if they bother to do it correctly.

protocol7
Re: Ocean's 13, it's the source material, the movie itself was filmed grainy, and made to have the look and feel of the 60's caper movies that the series is based from. It's intentional, not the technology.

This reminds me of Planet Terror. They went out of their way to give it that messed-up, stomped-on-in-a-mosh-pit look and then it got a bluray release!

Madoshi

i have seen a few regular DVDs that look worse than VHS

crappy BDs don't surprise me

Waylander
This reminds me of Planet Terror. They went out of their way to give it that messed-up, stomped-on-in-a-mosh-pit look and then it got a bluray release!

the bluray includes a scratchfree version thats supposed to look quite good (tbh i only watched the scratched version)

bangbang023

Take of Pelham 123 was a great transfer. Probably one of the best I've seen, yet.

still1
Here you find really in-depth reviews with screenshots.

http://www.blu-ray.com/

Never knew some bluray movies are in SD and they upscale it.

thanks for the website will check it out.

Ayepecks

IMO, some movies just don't lend themselves well to HD with how they're shot. Movies that are really dark (not in terms of subject matter, but physically dark in nature, like a lot of horror movies) and lack color can be hard to tell much of a difference with. A lot of times wide shots look really good, too (like the overhead helicopter shots in District 9) and make it obvious you're watching a Blu-ray.

It's normally not an issue of upscaling the SD version since most of the times they'll transfer from the source.

If you want to find movies that have good picture and sound, I recommend highdefdigest.com and looking at their scores. IMO, anything they score less than a 4 out of 5 on picture is generally hard to see a difference from SD (for the most part).