• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows 7 is still bloat

Why did this post rate 2 stars?  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Brandon    297

Get another hard drive. Its cheap. I'm sure you can pick up a 500GB HD for under $60 or 50 pounds/euros or whatever.

As technology improves, the space requirements go up. More code, more things included with the OS etc. Remember, no one will need more than 640KB... right.

<snipped>

Just For My Memory    0
Windows is always going to be "bloated," and the bigger the hard drives get, the more it is going to use. Windows 7, for instance, has close to a gigabyte of just printer drivers.

Also, you should know that when you disable features from the control panel, they are not removed. Windows never actually removes anything, it keeps it around for servicing so that you don't end up with a security hole or version conflict if you enable the component at a later time. The only way to actually trim it down is by using a third-party utility. Unless you have a very small SSD, I would just sigh loudly and forget about it.

The nicest post I've ever read since I join Neowin.

JunkMail    1

I've kept 4 OSes, W98, XP, 7, Hackintosh :) I love bloat bwahahaha (besides there is nothing more I can store in this 2TB HD :argh: maybe Linux etc will be next). Say 100GB reserved for OSes another 100 for their backup (with all software crap you can find) and the end result it like whatever you want, its available :p

The same goes with my DVD (Bootable XP (9in1x86 + 6in1 x64 + Hiren 10 + Haxintosh + 7 + DSL + ADDS)) har har har :D

EDIT: actually I'm struggling to put this config on USB :( but will figure it out eventually :drool: )

EDIT: Where went my post with 7Customizer? huh???

Just For My Memory    0
Get another hard drive. Its cheap. I'm sure you can pick up a 500GB HD for under $60 or 50 pounds/euros or whatever.

Or... I'm a robber, rob the bank! Come on, I'm living in developing country.

As technology improves, the space requirements go up. More code, more things included with the OS etc. Remember, no one will need more than 640KB... right.

This is another absolutely wrong statement. What about Adobe Creative Suite (CS2 > CS3 > CS4), Nero, iTunes? Did they?

"...no one will need more than 640KB...": This is right,

I've got a feeling you are here to flame.

Not quite, it's my first post and first comment about Windows 7 (in my new Neowin account :p )

Calum    820

Thread cleaned

Everybody; personal attacks will not be tolerated here at Neowin (yes, that includes branding a member 'troll' or 'fanboy'). If you feel a member is trolling or posting flame-bait, then by all means please report the offending post, but do not call out any members publicly.

Thank you :)

techbeck    6,925
Windows 7 installation disc is approx. 2,45 GB and installed size is approx. 8 GB.

I know Windows 7 runs faster, but It's only a bit faster. It's still slow, compared to Windows XP.

Software is going to get bigger and bigger so stop complaining. Hard drive space is cheap. You cannot expect things to continue to be the size of XP.

Stop complaining, you dont like what you call bloat, then there are other OS options for you to choose from.

Just For My Memory    0
I've kept 4 OSes, W98, XP, 7, Hackintosh :) I love bloat bwahahaha (besides there is nothing more I can store in this 2TB HD :argh: maybe Linux etc will be next). Say 100GB reserved for OSes another 100 for their backup (with all software crap you can find) and the end result it like whatever you want, its available :p

The same goes with my DVD (Bootable XP (9in1x86 + 6in1 x64 + Hiren 10 + Haxintosh + 7 + DSL + ADDS)) har har har :D

EDIT: actually I'm struggling to put this config on USB :( but will figure it out eventually :drool: )

-1: pointless, unrelated

JunkMail    1

The point is, if you have more GBs, bloat really wouldn't matter!

EDIT: btw that information was nice, about 7Customizer. Who is doing this mischief of bugging moderators here?

Just For My Memory    0
The point is, if you have more GBs, bloat really wouldn't matter!

6/10, not quite. Usually, bigger size will make software runs slower.

Udedenkz    51

There are a lot of ways to tweak Windows 7 to make it faster. Such as disabling unnecessary services.

You can also remove some Windows 7 components - Windows 7 allows you to do this.

You can also, delete system files manually related to a component you want to remove. Then run a registry clean to remove any and all registry data relating to those services. I did this with Windows Defender. I also removed some components on Windows Media Player. (Dangerous!)

You can also disable parts of the User Interface, right click options, shell extensions.

CuCumber    0
Software is going to get bigger and bigger so stop complaining.

It always amuses me how people come to a companies defence when someone makes a statement about what they feel is lacking in a product. As consumers we should always be asking for more and not defending a brand because we feel in some way we identify with it.

tsupersonic    1,834

So you signed up just to post this? Seriously?

Also, Windows 7 has many things Windows XP does not have. The best is the fact that Windows 7 can use multicore processors more effectively, improves on how memory is used, superfetch for speeding up your frequently used programs. Windows 7 is so much faster than XP given the right hardware. If you're using an ancient computer, yes, it's probably best to stick with XP, but there comes a time where an upgrade is necessary.

Just For My Memory    0
Software is going to get bigger and bigger so stop complaining. Hard drive space is cheap. You cannot expect things to continue to be the size of XP.

Stop complaining, you dont like what you call bloat, then there are other OS options for you to choose from.

7/10. I agree.

Scorbing    517
Windows 7 installation disc is approx. 2,45 GB and installed size is approx. 8 GB.

I know Windows 7 runs faster, but It's only a bit faster. It's still slow, compared to Windows XP.

You need to have your eyes checked son.

NEVER85    248
You should read this Bloatware at Wikipedia, I compared to older OS. Not only Windows XP. I'm not Windows XP fanboy, I now do not like it.

>>> For the later version, they should have a reasonable disk size. It's amazing when seeing disk size jumped from Windows XP to Windows Vista and Windows 7

No it isn't. You're comparing OS disk usage from a 2001 compared to a late 2006 OS and then a 2009 OS (not to mention Vista and 7 have virtually the same installation size). What do you expect after 5+ years? An OS to use 2-3 GB of space on a 500 GB hard drive? Keep dreaming.

Just For My Memory    0
There are a lot of ways to tweak Windows 7 to make it faster. Such as disabling unnecessary services.

You can also remove some Windows 7 components - Windows 7 allows you to do this.

You can also, delete system files manually related to a component you want to remove. Then run a registry clean to remove any and all registry data relating to those services. I did this with Windows Defender. I also removed some components on Windows Media Player. (Dangerous!)

You can also disable parts of the User Interface, right click options, shell extensions.

I'm talking about WINDOWS 7's INSTALLATION SIZE on DISK. Windows 7 runs fine.

JunkMail    1
6/10, not quite. Usually, bigger size will make software runs slower.

Well, my system is not slow :p windows 7 runs just fine (even though you want to call it bloated, there are many who want bloat) A software becomes bloated because of it's users! Go on requesting microsoft to add new features and 7 will be smaller in size :p

There were times when people liked adding bloat to Windows XP (for example FlyAKite package turned XP into OSX looking) then inspirat or something which did pretty much same....

Just For My Memory    0
Thread cleaned

Everybody; personal attacks will not be tolerated here at Neowin (yes, that includes branding a member 'troll' or 'fanboy'). If you feel a member is trolling or posting flame-bait, then by all means please report the offending post, but do not call out any members publicly.

Thank you :)

This is boring.

techbeck    6,925
It always amuses me how people come to a companies defence when someone makes a statement about what they feel is lacking in a product. As consumers we should always be asking for more and not defending a brand because we feel in some way we identify with it.

Nothing was said about what Win7 was lacking. It was a complaint about the size of win7.

And I am not coming to their defense. Vista was a big install size and everyone bitched and moaned about it. 7 is smaller but that still is not good enough for a lot of people. If you want a OS the size of XP, then stick with XP and stop complaining. Others who realize what actually is happening are happy and not complaining. 7 is great, its fast runs smooth

Just For My Memory    0

Since Windows Vista and Windows 7 have nearly the same installation size, people complained about Windows Vista. About Windows 7, they just denied it for a time.

techbeck    6,925
Well, my system is not slow :p windows 7 runs just fine (even though you want to call it bloated, there are many who want bloat) A software becomes bloated because of it's users! Go on requesting microsoft to add new features and 7 will be smaller in size :p

There were times when people liked adding bloat to Windows XP (for example FlyAKite package turned XP into OSX looking) then inspirat or something which did pretty much same....

Photoshop is bloat...Nero is bloat. Bloat is adding a bunch of useless features to the software that causes the main app to run slow and have issues. Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Nero...just to mention a few...used to be fast and little to no issues. now they add a bunch of extra apps and call it a suite. That is bloat...period. its not because of the users. Its because the software companies give you what they think you want or what they want to give you. I hate all the toolbars you have to uncheck to not install

JunkMail    1
This is boring.

I'm wondering when this thread will be locked :D

Photoshop is bloat...Nero is bloat. Bloat is adding a bunch of useless features to the software that causes the main app to run slow and have issues. Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Nero...just to mention a few...used to be fast and little to no issues. now they add a bunch of extra apps and call it a suite. That is bloat...period. its not because of the users. Its because the software companies give you what they think you want or what they want to give you. I hate all the toolbars you have to uncheck to not install

Have you ever looked their "Feedback" or "Feature request" page??? Did you ever make feature request for any software? maybe you haven't but many dudes do that.

Just For My Memory    0
... What do you expect after 5+ years? An OS to use 2-3 GB of space on a 500 GB hard drive? Keep dreaming.

Yes. Why not? If OS can do that. It is absolutely great. I can have more space for storing pictures, music, videos.

Why can't? Because Microsoft bloated Windows Vista and the fact Windows 7 is an improved version of Windows Vista, share about more-half Windows Vista's core.

techbeck    6,925
Yes. Why not? If OS can do that. It is absolutely great. I can have more space for storing pictures, music, videos.

Why can't? Because Microsoft bloated Windows Vista and the fact Windows 7 is an improved version of Windows Vista, share about more-half Windows Vista's core.

You can always load Windows 3.11 and dos 6 if you are so concerned about OS install size.

Xilo    928

Disk space is cheap. Go back to XP and stop complaining if a few GB's is such a big deal.

Or go use Damn Small Linux.