[UK] E4 Skins

The creator of controversial TV show ?Skins? has called it quits, reports Perez Hilton.

Series creator Jamie Brittain has quit the show, and now its future is said to be in jeopardy. A spokesman for the network Channel 4 has released a statement:

?Jamie has decided after five hit series to move on to write new projects and we wish him well. ?Skins? is written by a team of young writers who are hard at work on the new series which is currently in pre-production.?

Creator Brittain himself even released a statement, saying ?I?ve just said everything I wanted to say. It?s time for new writers to come forward and portray their truth about teenagers. I?m really sad to leave, but I?m confident that the writing and production team I?ve left behind will do an awesome job.?

His co-creator Bryan Elsley has been left to work on the American remake, as well as current assistant producer Toby Welch and script producer Neil Ducan, who have taken over running the next season.

If the ratings don?t hold up, though, and its content doesn?t live up to the hype ? the show could be in danger. It?s hard enough for new shows to really take off, but with the creator just taking off ? it doesn?t look good. Especially with the cast due to be changed at the end of the next series as well, there is a strong chance the sixth series will be the show?s last.

The show has already been subjected to much controversy. Its racy content has been deemed inappropriate by many of the older public, as it deals with sex and drugs at such a young demographic, so the show already has a target on its back. What do you think though, will you miss ?Skins? if it leaves?

http://www.andpop.com/2011/04/10/creator-of-skins-quits-the-show/

• 9 months later...

Any one going to be watching the new series starting tomorrow?

I'm ploughing through the previous series today, as I have completely forgotten what had happened. :laugh:

I'll watch it once its all aired. I've got to much to watch and catch up on atm so this will just sit on my Sky box till its all finished. Last series was incredibly poor and i don't have high hopes for this one.

• 1 month later...

Me and the other half have been watching it, and i have to say, compaired to last series, its alot less "messed up"! - we`d finish watching it and be like "WTF?!" but no - im enjoying the series so far!! :)

I agree it's a lot less 'messed up', but I'm finding it boring, the characters just never seemed to click with me. 1st and 2nd generation cast was much better.

I hope this is the last in the series now.

• 4 months later...
Nicholas Hoult has ruled out a return to Skins for the show's final seventh season, claiming that he is too busy with movie work to reappear in the E4 teen drama.

Skins will conclude in 2013 with a seventh series, featuring a number of former actors from the three generations of casts.

However, Hoult confirmed to The Sun that he would not be one of those returning.

"No, I'm not going to be doing it. I loved Skins but I don't think I can fit it in," he said.

"I'm filming Mad Max in Namibia, which will mean I'm away for ages."

Hoult played Tony Stonem for two series of the teen drama in 2007 to 2008. Since leaving the show, he has starred in movies such as X-Men: First Class and A Single Man.

Skins writer Jamie Brittain confirmed earlier this year that Jack O'Connell will be reprising his role as James Cook in the seventh-series finale.

Yeah I heard that on Radio 1 the other day, shame. Wonder how they'll work it without him being there or just leave him out.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hannah Murray, Jack O'Connell and Kaya Scodelario will return to Skins for its final series.

The E4 teen drama's last run will be comprised of three stories - each divided into two one-hour episodes - titled 'Skins Pure', 'Skins Rise' and 'Skins Fire'.

'Skins Pure' - written by series co-creator Bryan Elsley - will see Murray reprise her role of Cassie, who will be seen "adrift, alone and invisible in London", ultimately forming a poignant friendship with a mysterious stranger.

'Skins Rise' - by Jamie Brittain - will focus on the character of Cook (O'Connell), as the tearaway is forced to confront his own violent past while working as a drug peddler in Manchester.

Final instalment 'Skins Fire' - from Jess Brittain - will see Effy (Scodelario) living with Naomi (Lily Loveless) and working a dead-end job as a receptionist, until a tragedy forces her to re-evaluate her life. Kat Prescott will also reprise her role as Emily in the two-parter.

"I am delighted that three emblematic actors, currently embarking on successful movie careers, are returning to E4 and Skins," said Bryan Elsley.

"They will play their iconic characters as they emerge into adulthood, and bring new challenging stories of young adults, grappling with life in Cameron's Britain, to vivid and entertaining focus."

Sophie Gardiner, commissioning editor of Channel 4 Drama, added: "Always innovative, always truthful, Skins is a show that defined a generation. That generation is growing up. Skins seven catches up with our characters as they continue in their path to adulthood, finding out who they are going to be, and who their friends really are."

The final series of Skins will shoot in Manchester and London from October to January to transmit in spring 2013 on E4.

'Skins Pure' by Bryan Elsley

Cassie (Hannah Murray) is adrift, alone and invisible in London, trying to make sense of her life. Slowly she realises that someone is following her. Cassie turns towards the unknown. A strange and poignant friendship is carved out of mutual loneliness, but can it survive exposure to the real world?

'Skins Rise' by Jamie Brittain

Cook (Jack O'Connell) has a job delivering drugs to Manchester Revellers. When he is asked to help his employer's girlfriend find a house and finds that he is irresistibly attracted to her, he sets off a train of events which will lead him into a world of savage revenge and a confrontation with his own violent past.

'Skins Fire' by Jess Brittain

Effy (Kaya Scodelario) has a dead end job as a receptionist for a leading London Hedge Fund. But as she stumbles across crucial financial information relating to a troubled deal and embarks on an affair with her wealthy boss, she finds out that she has bitten off more than she can chew. Her flatmate Naomi (Lily Loveless) tries to stop Effy from ruining her life, but Effy cannot be reached; until tragedy strikes.

• 1 month later...
Lara Pulver and Kayvan Novak are to appear in the final series of Skins.

The Sherlock actress and Facejacker star will both appear opposite Kaya Scodelario (Effy) in Skins Fire.

Pulver will play Vanessa, a "ball-breaking business bitch", while Novak has been cast as Jake, Effy's wealthy new boss who she gets too close to.

"It's been fun for me to step into a very different style of TV show," said Pulver. "But there's actually kind of a parallel, as I'm joining Skins at a time when the show is also entering new territory, following these well-known and loved characters as they start the next chapter of their lives.

"Playing opposite Kaya has been a lot of fun. We're both playing strong-minded, ambitious women who are in the midst of very different stages of their lives. This causes friction between them and yet they can't help but find compassion and an ally in one another."

Pulver's additional credits include Spooks, True Blood and the forthcoming Da Vinci's Demons, while comic and actor Novak is best known for his Fonejacker and Facejacker series, as well as for appearing in Channel 4's Sirens.

Skins will return to E4 in early 2013 with three special two-part films - Skins Fire with Scodelario, Pulver and Novak, plus Skins Pure starring Hannah Murray (Cassie) and Skins Rise featuring Jack O'Connell (Cook).

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s89/skins/news/a440891/skins-lara-pulver-kayvan-novak-to-star-in-final-series.html

• 3 months later...

Just watched the whole first season of Skins (UK) on Netflix and loved it. Hooked. Tried to watch the US one and it isn't as good. I don't know why we always do US versions of shows.

Just watched the whole first season of Skins (UK) on Netflix and loved it. Hooked. Tried to watch the US one and it isn't as good. I don't know why we always do US versions of shows.

You'll love the rest of the series :D