• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CinePaint - open-source graphics software for movie makers

Cy-Kill    0

Well, if you make movies, then this could be for you, if not, it can probably be used for other stuff as well:

For those serious film makers who need to color their scenes differently according to the mood, there is a software that can do everything they need to easily and professionally - CinePaint.

CinePaint is an open source software for Linux and Mac OSX which lets you retouch colors in video and photography with higher color fidelity than other software. And because it is free, you don't have to worry about shedding loads of money for this professional grade software.

CinePaint offers a lot of features which go beyond your usual paint software. It works best with the usual 35mm film editing, high resolution films and digital videos, as well as high dynamic range images with extraordinary colors and contrast.

http://www.frostclick.com/wp/index.php/200...r-movie-makers/

HideAndGoatse    0
..and has been used not only in the "Last Samurai", but also in Holywood movies like "Stuart Little", "Scooby-Doo" and "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone".

Seems pretty amazing for a free open-source program, will have to check this out!

Cy-Kill    0

The person who wrote the article obviously did not really research the subject of the article very well.

Syanide    611
Seems pretty amazing for a free open-source program, will have to check this out!

People should realize some programs for professionals/some fields of work (I know a guy who works on fluid dynamics) come just for Linux. Ironically, they can't afford to run it on Windows, and it has absolutely nothing to do with money. This one is a proof good open source apps exist. And yeah, it's lame they forgot to mention there is a Windows version.

+Xinok    294
FYI, there is a windows version despite what the article says.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cinepaint/files/

Yes, there's a windows version. But it's an old version which hasn't been updated in over 6 years, so obviously not supported anymore. For that reason, they might have chosen to leave it out of the article.

Edit:

I read the article, and they clearly state there is no Windows version, so I'll take it they didn't notice. But as I said, the Windows branch is no longer supported, and the CinePaint developers themselves say there is no Windows version. So I don't blame the person who wrote the article.

CinePaint is a deep paint application that edits EXR, DPX, 16-bit TIFF, JPEG, PNG and many other types of image files. CinePaint is available as a native application for Linux, Mac OS X, and BSD. There's currently no Windows version, sorry.

http://www.cinepaint.org/download.html

Growled    3,880

I've never used CinePaint but I know it was forked from the Gimp a long time ago. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

bob21    0

That is without a doubt the worst user interface i have ever seen.

Growled    3,880
That is without a doubt the worst user interface i have ever seen.

Open Source is good at bad interfaces. :D

zhangm    1,327

Looks like an even more gimped version of Gimp.