• Sophos
    • Symantec (Corporate)
    • Trend
    • VBA32
    • Zone
    • Microsoft Security Essentials
    • Other (please specify)

Question

An updated "Best Antivirus" for 2010. Please use this as a reference when researching antivirus utilities. As time goes on, the poll can be updated to add further options.

Happy Voting.

I would say its a toss up between Kaspersky and Avira. In the end voted for Kaspersky simply because it has a better detection rate and also is more efficient at cleaning infected systems.

I've voted for Microsoft Security Essentials, but I have a quick question; why is Windows Live OneCare on that list, when Microsoft have discontinued it and replaced it with MSE?

OneCare removed (Y)

Microsoft Security Essentials wins hands done! i have played around with just about all of them, and found Microsoft Security Essentials to be the best (for me), and it works even better on older machines. Have alot of friends and family with single core machines, and they have notice a faster machine once they have installed Microsoft Security Essentials. I guess it comes down to what ever works for you. I cant remeber the last time i had a virus, but i guess that cause i know the internet and what NOT to download. But still better to be safe then sorry. So for the PAST three days of 2010 ill recommend Microsoft Security Essentials.

newbie running XP Pro asking if MS Security Essentials requires MsMpEng.exe to work effectively?? I would like to dump this Defender-era CPU memory hog. Any advice if I can dump gratefully appreciated. Thanx. Skopros

Edited by skopros

why is G-DATA not in the list? It has the best detection rate for the past 3yrs in a row according to av-comparatives.org. It costs quite a bit but it sure looks damn good!

why is G-DATA not in the list? It has the best detection rate for the past 3yrs in a row according to av-comparatives.org. It costs quite a bit but it sure looks damn good!

With 2 engines it better have the best detection rate!

Norton AntiVirus will, quite literally, drive me up a freaking wall... however I do feel that it offers strong protection regardless. While its interface is not too shabby, I find the program (as a whole) to be intrusive and annoying at times, particularly when I am right in the middle of completing a task that requires my undivided attention and a pop-up window seemingly appears out of thin air. Oh well; I'm a big boy and always end up getting over it.

I am going to give Kaspersky a try on my newly purchased Dell laptop. We'll see how it goes. :shifty:

Microsoft Security Essentials - using it across several desktops/laptops in our office, and also in all my personal systems (2 laptops + 1 desktop) & recommended, installed in my brother's systems too...

It finds virus pretty quick and removes it..also, i dont need to care about duplicate alerts etc popping up by antivirus all the time.

MSE makes us hassle free environment.

MSE for me for a while now. It's kinda scary to see so many people praising Microsoft, im not used to that on this board lol.