• Sophos
    • Symantec (Corporate)
    • Trend
    • VBA32
    • Zone
    • Microsoft Security Essentials
    • Other (please specify)

Question

An updated "Best Antivirus" for 2010. Please use this as a reference when researching antivirus utilities. As time goes on, the poll can be updated to add further options.

Happy Voting.

i am now trying panda cloud, so far so good. lightweight, does neutralize some virus that i purposely put in. deny suspicious program. i have some scripts that written to do some automation, panda cloud does block this program. I then manually allow it because it is written by myself so i know it is safe. and a...its free. cant say anything very big about this one now as i have not fully test is out yet but so far, i am happy with it.

How could you not include Comodo? Comodo Internet Security is the only absolutely free full-range anti-malware online scanner with HIPS + their well-known for years firewall included in the pack. Already between the top 5 security suites in all tests.

Voted "Other (please specify)".

None. I've relied on common sense and testing unknowns in a sandbox or virtual machine as needed. Been crapware free for years, and I don't have that bloated feel-good junk slowing things down or being a nuisance. Last actual virus I've had was maybe 10 years or so ago, not including my poor virtual machine which gets copied back from an archive on a near weekly basis. That one gets infected all the time.

If your AV program is alerting you to a virus or spyware, you've already made a bad mistake somewhere. (And that's just the ones it's finding..) Lock down your browsers, never run an unknown blindly, use common sense.. much more effective than a nanny program looking over your shoulder. Of course, if you're setting up "grandma's computer", then yea, I'd use one.

How could you not include Comodo? Comodo Internet Security is the only absolutely free full-range anti-malware online scanner with HIPS + their well-known for years firewall included in the pack. Already between the top 5 security suites in all tests.

Voted "Other (please specify)".

yes, comodo is good.

MSE, free and easy for me to setup on any users system, and the update side of it actually works.

For myself:

MSE

Sandboxie

Eraser stand alone with user dir link that points to the sandbox

With this combo, it doesn't seem to matter what junk I open up.

hi all, i have recently found alot of antivirus reviewing in youtube. It fun to watch at them. go to www.youtube.com and search for the anti-virus name. have fun.

MS Security-an oxymoron. The majority of freeware comes with a major league catch. MS security requires a purchase of a Windows OS, thus not freeware in any sense of the word. For MS warez, you pay though the nose. In technical terms, their version of security is not! Looks like the vote has been overtaken by MS default settings. Use your brain. Anyone who lets MS security/ update run their PC is begging for problems. Talk about unnecessary software that leads to bloat! Yikes..... Remember-make sure you read reviews written by credible sources-not those who have a financial interest in speaking well of one security pack. You will pay a premium for bad advice at the end of the day.

Symantec for me, 2010 is one of the best from Symantec as they cleared away all the cr** which slowed down your OS and you forget if is running.

MS Security-an oxymoron. The majority of freeware comes with a major league catch. MS security requires a purchase of an OS, thus not freeware in any sense of the term. For MS warez, you pay though the nose. Their version of security is a far from it. Looks like the vote has been overtaken by MS default settings. Use your brain. Anyone who lets MS security/ update run their PC is begging for problems. Talk about unnecessary software that leads to bloat! Yikes.....

What was that paranoia about? Microsoft is entitled to ask for a license as its antivirus is supposed to work on systems running Windows, which is not freeware. I use genuine Windows so I don't have any problem with it and if you have one, maybe you should turn to freeware OSes instead of bitching about MSE. Following your same logic, no software is freeware as it requires hardware to run on which is not free unless you steal it.

And believe, MSE is anything but bloat. The only thing missing in your message was writing Micro$oft.

BTW, do you even know what an oxymoron is?

MS Security-an oxymoron. The majority of freeware comes with a major league catch. MS security requires a purchase of an OS, thus not freeware in any sense of the term. For MS warez, you pay though the nose. Their version of security is a far from it. Looks like the vote has been overtaken by MS default settings. Use your brain. Anyone who lets MS security/ update run their PC is begging for problems. Talk about unnecessary software that leads to bloat! Yikes.....

I seriously hope that's sarcasm.

And believe, MSE is anything but bloat. The only thing missing in your message was writing Micro$oft.

BTW, do you even know what an oxymoron is?

Well said... I've been using MSE since beta and it has excelled in doing its job. Now a lot of friends of mine use MSE. It IS lightweight, fast and it does not cause a CPU usage spike. One of the best products from Microsoft in years. MSE FTW!

Avira stat scanning and finds 97 infected files (worms, trojans, spyware, rootkits...) I never seen something like this before, all removed successfully by Avira

How did you get so many infections??? Blows my mind. :blink:

Well said... I've been using MSE since beta and it has excelled in doing its job. Now a lot of friends of mine use MSE. It IS lightweight, fast and it does not cause a CPU usage spike. One of the best products from Microsoft in years. MSE FTW!

How did you get so many infections??? Blows my mind. :blink:

Well, there are contrary reports about the CPU spikes...

MS Security-an oxymoron. The majority of freeware comes with a major league catch. MS security requires a purchase of a Windows OS, thus not freeware in any sense of the word. For MS warez, you pay though the nose. In technical terms, their version of security is not! Looks like the vote has been overtaken by MS default settings. Use your brain. Anyone who lets MS security/ update run their PC is begging for problems. Talk about unnecessary software that leads to bloat! Yikes..... Remember-make sure you read reviews written by credible sources-not those who have a financial interest in speaking well of one security pack. You will pay a premium for bad advice at the end of the day.

You use a lot of words and say very little!

On topic: I have just started using Avast and am quite impressed thus far!

Use Sophos at work.... not impressed realmad.gif .... used to be impressed by bitdefender.... dropped that realmad.gif .. then Avast.... that was pretty good rolleyes.gif AVG = bleugh.... sick.gif

Use Sophos at work.... not impressed realmad.gif .... used to be impressed by bitdefender.... dropped that realmad.gif .. then Avast.... that was pretty good rolleyes.gif AVG = bleugh.... sick.gif

We had Sophos at work and we weren't impressed either! Now we use Kaspersky which is better although it still has it's quirks.

At home I use MSE which has been pretty impressive considering its basic interface and low footprint.