There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

• Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! · Register here

Keep separate .mov files or one combined .wmv?

So, my girlfriend bought me a Kodak Zi8 pocket camcorder for Christmas and I've been playing around with it. First, without thinking, I bought a class 2 SDHC card which turned out to compromise the video by limiting the bitrate to about 4700kbps. I bought a class 4 card and I'm average around 6800kbps with one file even showing 9700kbps.

The camcorder currently films .mov (h.264, I believe) and I have it set to 720p for a balance of space and quality. Windows Live Movie Maker records in .wmv, obviously, but allows me to combine multiple videos from one event into a singular video. When comparing playback, .wmv is a little smoother though the audio is a tad lower in volume and the picture may be a bit softer (still trying to figure that out). The .mov files play well (first 5 seconds are slow and out of sync). Here's my question though:

Would you guys, in your own usage, stick with separate .mov files (353mb) or go with a combined .wmv (299mb) that is a compressed video from a compressed source?

Do you mean adding two or more Videos together into a single file both videos having audio?

Personally, if you have Quicktime Installed I suggest getting a Pro lic, you can add them together one after the other just by opening one dragging the time slider to the end and then dragging the next .mov into the same window

then just save it it will make a single file, and I would not re-encode anything, loosing quality from cameras that don't have high end lens sucks imo lol

Do you mean adding two or more Videos together into a single file both videos having audio?

Yes. To clarify further, I shot multiple videos last night and the camera saves each video as a separate file. For archiving purposes, I thought it would be better to combine the three into one file, but the concerns of quality, and such, came up and I've been debating which way was the best to go.

The .mov from your camera is already compressed, although it's probably the most "raw" format you will get from your video camera. 353mb vs 299mb isn't a whole big difference. If there isn't that much of a difference in quality when you combine and recompress them into wmv, then I say keep them wmv just for the convenience factor.

The .mov from your camera is already compressed, although it's probably the most "raw" format you will get from your video camera. 353mb vs 299mb isn't a whole big difference. If there isn't that much of a difference in quality when you combine and recompress them into wmv, then I say keep them wmv just for the convenience factor.

I believe he is saying that one mov file is 353mb but when combined with another and saved to wmv it is only 299, sounds like a huge quality loss to me

No, the three original files combined equal 353mb of .mov files. When I combined them into a single .wmv file, that resulting file is 299mb.

Are there any other (preferrably free) tools to combine .mov files without re-encoding?