Lense for portraits

Hey folks, first and foremost, happy new year !

So i've been deciding between a d90 or D5000, in the end I think the camera will be the least of my worries.... My question is, for those of you who have own the 50mm or 35mm regardless of the brand.

I feel 50mm is to in the long :wacko: but i've never tried anything shorter to be honest with that aperture 1.8 (kit lense is 3.6?) so I really can't say, but since i've seen a lot of people here that own a lot of glass for nikon, canon and olympus I thought I'd ask are there any short comings on going 35mm?

Get the 50mm for portraits. with the 30mm, you'll have to be on top of the person. The "Ideal" portrait length is between 70-100mm, and the 50mm on a 1.5x (nikon) or 1.6x crop camera is 75mm/80mm which is perfect.

personally, I want a 35mm 2.0 lens.

My 50mm 1.8 presents the problem of never being able to get far away enough from my subjects when indoors. (I shoot a lot of stuff in doors)

don't forget the crop factor too. 35mm with 1.5 crop factor = 52.5mm, closer to a true 50mm lens

Note on a D5000/3000/40/60 the 50mm AF-D will not autofocus. It's screw driven which the body does not have a motor for so you'll be manually focusing. D90 will autofocus AF-D lenses.

On a crop sensor, the 35mm LENS (not lense :p) is equivalent to ~52mm and the 50mm is ~ 72mm. When taking portraits, you really don't want to be too close to your subject just to get a well composed shot. The 35mm AF-S is a good walk-around lens because it's close to what your eyes see. 50mm is a nice sharp low-cost lens. Just try them both out in a store.

Get the 50mm for portraits. with the 30mm, you'll have to be on top of the person. The "Ideal" portrait length is between 70-100mm, and the 50mm on a 1.5x (nikon) or 1.6x crop camera is 75mm/80mm which is perfect.

Really :s? I always figured the closer the better

personally, I want a 35mm 2.0 lens.

My 50mm 1.8 presents the problem of never being able to get far away enough from my subjects when indoors. (I shoot a lot of stuff in doors)

don't forget the crop factor too. 35mm with 1.5 crop factor = 52.5mm, closer to a true 50mm lens

Note on a D5000/3000/40/60 the 50mm AF-D will not autofocus. It's screw driven which the body does not have a motor for so you'll be manually focusing. D90 will autofocus AF-D lenses.

On a crop sensor, the 35mm LENS (not lense :p) is equivalent to ~52mm and the 50mm is ~ 72mm. When taking portraits, you really don't want to be too close to your subject just to get a well composed shot. The 35mm AF-S is a good walk-around lens because it's close to what your eyes see. 50mm is a nice sharp low-cost lens. Just try them both out in a store.

(ay caramba forgot about the whole D5000 not having in body focus, hmmmm...)

Potato, Potatoe :p

Now one of the main reasons i'm asking is because i'll be buying online and sadly none of the stores here have the 35mm lenS, and like i've said before never used anything anything under 50mm. :( which is why I decided to ask, but so far 1 for 50mm and 1 for 35mm

Try measuring 50mm and 35mm with the kit lens, just set it at that zoom and use it as if it were a prime, see which one you like better.

The reason longer lenses are used for portraits is because they tend to "flatten" the face which looks better according to beauty standards.

I use my 50mm 1.7 Minolta for Christmas lights. That's all it's useful for.

You will never find one lens to do it all. As you play with different lenses and experiment more you will quickly find out why many people swear by their zoom lenses for portraits. The primary advantage is that you're not in everybody's face and you're virtually unnoticed when snapping pictures. This gives you a candid edge; your photos will not look posed or staged. My advice is to stick with the kit lens until you're comfortable with it. Then move up to a fast zoom lens. Something with f/2.8 or bigger is ideal.

Find a camera body that is comfortable with easy to adjust settings. Everything else is in your choice of lenses.

50mm f1.4 AF-S!!!

Sadly, out of budget including lens and body ( $1000 )

Go with D90 and 35/2.0.

Yep I think my mind is pretty set on a D90

on a crop body i would suggest a 35 f1.8 afs.

(Y)

Well consensus seems to be 35mm :)

I own both the 50mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.8.

I found myself using the 35mm more for portraits then the 50.

I use Nikon.

I love the way the lens just seems to draw out the details more then the 50mm.

So I don't know if its just me, or if theres something in it. But after using both for a few months.

I'd go with 35mm especially if you do more indoor portraits then outdoor.

I own both the 50mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.8.

I found myself using the 35mm more for portraits then the 50.

I use Nikon.

I love the way the lens just seems to draw out the details more then the 50mm.

So I don't know if its just me, or if theres something in it. But after using both for a few months.

I'd go with 35mm especially if you do more indoor portraits then outdoor.

Yeah i'm more of indoor I'd say.

What body do you shoot with?

It's wrong to limit yourself to one focal length. I have several lenses that I use for portraits. Personally, I dislike 50mm because of its standard look. Every amateur photographer has the misconception that it's the best focal length for portraits. The longer the focal length, the better the perspective. Of course that is subject to personal preference, though. For me anything below 85mm is not made for portraits.

That, and the 85 1.4 are two of the best primes for portraits EVER.

So are 105/2DC, 135/2DC, 200/2G and many other lenses. Or basically what max already said.

On a side note, 85/1.4 MF is said to be slightly better in some aspects than then D version. Plus, it's also cheaper, given you can find one.

Personally, I am currently hunting for a 105/1.8 AI-s.