Are you sick of the iPhone?

Its actually being a nice intelligent thread with no bashing on any side, pity you have to spoil it.

I am sick and tired of my iPhone, yeah. Just today, my call was dropped 3 times, and I haven't even talked longer than 10 minutes. Recently when I'm in the car I get full bars but without any 3G or E service so I can't get on the internet like I want to, and when I get a call, the phone lags just sliding the slider to answer the call. This is with a brand new phone too. Apple replaced that one because the software was acting up and the phone stopped charging itself when it was plugged in. Now, exactly one month later after it was replaced and I have 2 pages of apps, and no songs the phone is glitching again. Yes I am sick of the iPhone.

I have it so I can run my business, get proper emails, view web pages properly so I can accept pending accounts, hell with a plugins I can now control certain functions of a webserver and get reports.

Well, all those things can be done without an iPhone, but whatever floats your boat.

Some people use them to make life easier, others use them because they are the latest "toy". The people I know (that have one) use them because they are the lastest toy.

Well, all those things can be done without an iPhone, but whatever floats your boat.

Some people use them to make life easier, others use them because they are the latest "toy". The people I know (that have one) use them because they are the lastest toy.

I'm not sure the cpanel, pingdom and iwhmcs app is available for any phone but the iphone.

Plus before the iphone proper web browsing was limited and the email is a lot functional.

I'm not sure the cpanel, pingdom and iwhmcs app is available for any phone but the iphone.

Plus before the iphone proper web browsing was limited and the email is a lot functional.

I never said they were available from another phone, just that they can be done without an iPhone.

I never said they were available from another phone, just that they can be done without an iPhone.

But then you are getting back to the reason why the iphone took off, broke new ground and has proved popular.

Ease of use and accessible functionality.

Yes you could do those things on other phones beofre the iphone, but it'd be a miserable experience.

I do feel that although the iPhone is great it has become all too overrated and find that when I use my HD2 people are always saying is that an iPhone, if i answer no then they say something along the lines of "ah I bet its not as good then" :huh: On a personal note I would say that after a month using my HD2, an iPod Touch's screen feels really small and the loading of apps is slower.

Edited by Randomiser

I do feel that although the iPhone is great it has become all too overrated

That all depends on how you rating it and what you are comparing it against, I'm sure it has its faults, I'd like a interchangeable battery and extra slots for sd cards. But I'm sure the HD2 isn't perfect either.

The strange thing is the iphone gets a lot more attention and hammering aimed at it just because its produced by Apple.

If this phone had being produced by MS, many of the people who bashed it when it came out would be praising it.

Having said that, I am completely sick of going anywhere and watching one person after another pull out the iPhone.

Are you equally annoyed by people using Dell/HP notebooks? The notebook market share of those two companies is ten times that of the iPhone in the cellphone market space.

I feel like we have just lost personalities altogether and are mindless clones. I feel like this is becoming the PC environment a decade ago with the other competitors just not existing or being inconsequential and that bothers me.

Given that the last 20 years of computing have seen huge advances in hardware and software this sounds like a good thing. If the iPhone is the IBM PC (or Compaq?whatever) then I look forward to seeing what competition in the market place produces.

Try and remember what a "good" phone looked like in 2007 and how it differed from one in 2005: We've come a long way in a few short years.

I feel that we as a society should be buying other devices as well because it gives a chance for those companies to innovate and move forward.

My job is not to reward a third-rate producer in the hope that one day they might produce something worth while some time in the future.

If we all stick to one device, pretty soon it is in no one's interest (not even Apple's) to provide us with cutting edge products. (MS anyone, ahem?)

The iPhone has a 4% US marketshare. You're almost three times more likely to come across a Mac user in America than you are an iPhone user.

We're in no danger of a software monoculture. The reason you hear about the iPhone more than so many others is because it's the only one that seems to be doing anything to capture the publics attention.

I was out to dinner earlier today and saw a group of 5 people and literally 3 of them whipped out the iphone and started messing with it... OMG! that's weird.

I bet if you looked at a typical table of 5 you'd probably see 2 or 3 of them wearing the same brand of shoes too.

Maybe they even drank the same beer!

Chances are good if a group of people are eating together then they're likely friends or co-workers: the sort of people with similar interests and values. That's the sort of thing that leads to people choosing similar products to meet their needs. That's exactly the sort of thing you'd expect to see.

So.. what has Android pioneered?

They have the best open source mobile platform going, that counts for a lot I guess, but as I never made that claim I think that is a pretty stupid argument, Apple's fans are usually those that have the arrogance to act like Apple re-invent the wheel everytime they release something, but I never made that claim once.

But its strange praising Android for what they have produced, when Apple has done the same if not more as without the iPhone, the android might not exist and its still playing catchup.

In catchup mode huh? lets look at that shall we

MMS: in Android way before the iPhone

Video Recording: Officially in Android before it was in the iPhone

(and those are 2 features that have been in most other phones for years)

Sync: drag and drop, you don't need third party crapware like iTunes

Storage: External storage, VS the iPhone's limited internal capacity

Bluetooth OBEX: Being built into Android and probably going to be in 2.1 officially, can only be done on the iPhone via jailbreak and even then its sketchy when you aren't sending to another iPhone, and OBEX will probably never be in the iPhone legitimately

Widgets: supported on Android for a while now, still unsupported on iPhone

Radio: All Android phones have always had support for the faster 7.2 mbps HSDPA specification, but the iPhone didn't have support for any of that until the 3GS was released

If Android is playing catchup, one might argue they are making a damn good job of it :laugh:

Just to clarify something here... um.. I never mentioned that I own an iPhone. It was an observation. I think we can stop with the remarks about me caring about people using what I use and me needing to see a doctor or having personal issues...

I didn't see anyone referencing you, they read as general remarks about people in general...

i've had my iphone 3G for 18 months and will be pleased when the contact is up on 15th feb, i've found it too restrictive, bluetooth is crap, and apple want to get you to pay for everything you put on it unless you jailbreak it. gonna get the Nokia N900, which is a much better phone in my opinion, just means i have to switch network providers from O2 to Vodaphone.

Disclaimer: I am not trying to start any flaming wars here, despite being a MS supporter, I will admit that the iPhone is a great device with a fantastic ecosystem around it.

Having said that, I am completely sick of going anywhere and watching one person after another pull out the iPhone. I feel like we have just lost personalities altogether and are mindless clones. I feel like this is becoming the PC environment a decade ago with the other competitors just not existing or being inconsequential and that bothers me.

I feel that we as a society should be buying other devices as well because it gives a chance for those companies to innovate and move forward. If we all stick to one device, pretty soon it is in no one's interest (not even Apple's) to provide us with cutting edge products. (MS anyone, ahem?)

What about the rest of you? Is this a US only phenomenon. I was out to dinner earlier today and saw a group of 5 people and literally 3 of them whipped out the iphone and started messing with it... OMG! that's weird.

Thoughts fellow techies?

What annoys me is that when I bought it, I was one of the few with an iPhone here and now I see some people who don't really need one nor let me put it in a fanboy way, DESERVE ONE, and well I feel like one of those "I have no clue what I am doing but I look cool" whenever I use my iPhone in front of people.

Besides if I am with friends who have an iPhone, we sometimes look like super nerds lol.

So yeah in a way I am sick of it. It's just a phone but I don't feel like having the same phone with so many people who just bought it, well cause it's The iPhone :yes:

The iPhone is a better mobile gaming device than it is a phone. What they should probably be marketed as and sold to customers for.

I've found it a better phone then the sonys and samsungs I have had. Easier and sms/contact lists better.

I am totally sick of my 3GS. I hate the fact Apple locks it down so much and fails to add anything worthwhile in a device (eg: no Flash support). I've owned the iPhone since the 3G and I think I've just owned one too long. I mean yeah it's a good phone but not great for what I want it for. Not to mention the call drops and network drops are too frequent for my taste.

Other things that irk me are no physical keyboard, and no microSD slot.

Right now on my wish list is a Motorola Milestone (GSM Droid).

I still think my iPhone is the best mobile device I've ever owned... but... am getting progressively more disillusioned with it for a few reasons..

* Apples nazi attitude to how they allow certain things to be done on the phone, whilst randomly banning other things.. the whole Google Voice debacle springs to mind!

* The fact that the phone is, with each successive firmware, getting more and more bugs worked into it!

* How they're so restrictive about the behaviour of other applications. I use Spotify for example, and if I get a text or need to do any other function I have to completely quit Spotify just to do what I need to do, THEN re-load it. Why is the iPod app allowed to remain backgrounded?

I'm really keen to see how the Google Nexus device does - I'm seriously keen on an Android based phone for my next mobile device...

Am I "sick" of the iPhone as a device? Not at all. Am I tired of hearing about the iPhone? Admittedly, somewhat.

You'll either like it or you won't. As a former iPhone user (still an owner), I can firmly say that the sheer flexibility of the device is a significantly useful trait. I found it incredibly easy to multi-task and perform day-to-day tasks on the go. The only reason I've stopped using the device is due to the horrendous wireless network (AT&T) that currently carries it. I'm now a Blackberry user and while it cannot match the iPhone in terms of web browsing (among other features), it performs nicely... and is available with my wireless carrier of choice.

the iphone is nice but yes im tired of hearing about it and seeing it everywhere. IMO it is a fad and nothing more. besides the fact most people i talk to hate it because of the limited features and horrid service.

That all depends on how you rating it and what you are comparing it against, I'm sure it has its faults, I'd like a interchangeable battery and extra slots for sd cards. But I'm sure the HD2 isn't perfect either.

The strange thing is the iphone gets a lot more attention and hammering aimed at it just because its produced by Apple.

If this phone had being produced by MS, many of the people who bashed it when it came out would be praising it.

If the phone had those technical limitations, I personally would be bashing it regardless of who had manufactured it.

I still think my iPhone is the best mobile device I've ever owned... but... am getting progressively more disillusioned with it for a few reasons..

* Apples nazi attitude to how they allow certain things to be done on the phone, whilst randomly banning other things.. the whole Google Voice debacle springs to mind!

* The fact that the phone is, with each successive firmware, getting more and more bugs worked into it!

* How they're so restrictive about the behaviour of other applications. I use Spotify for example, and if I get a text or need to do any other function I have to completely quit Spotify just to do what I need to do, THEN re-load it. Why is the iPod app allowed to remain backgrounded?

I'm really keen to see how the Google Nexus device does - I'm seriously keen on an Android based phone for my next mobile device...

Its actually quiet interesting to read these legitimate comments from relatively happy users. Personally I find the lack of multitasking in the iPhone OS to be its biggest technical letdown, hopefully something they will consider looking at with the next generation iPhone, although for me it is inexcusable not to have multitasking in a smartphone.

What amazes me is that people seem to think that the iPhone's features are unique. For example, adding Cut and Paste. How is that revolutionary?

Disclaimer: I am not trying to start any flaming wars here, despite being a MS supporter, I will admit that the iPhone is a great device with a fantastic ecosystem around it.

Having said that, I am completely sick of going anywhere and watching one person after another pull out the iPhone. I feel like we have just lost personalities altogether and are mindless clones. I feel like this is becoming the PC environment a decade ago with the other competitors just not existing or being inconsequential and that bothers me.

I feel that we as a society should be buying other devices as well because it gives a chance for those companies to innovate and move forward. If we all stick to one device, pretty soon it is in no one's interest (not even Apple's) to provide us with cutting edge products. (MS anyone, ahem?)

What about the rest of you? Is this a US only phenomenon. I was out to dinner earlier today and saw a group of 5 people and literally 3 of them whipped out the iphone and started messing with it... OMG! that's weird.

Thoughts fellow techies?

I've sold 5 iphone users on my Droid. They said they would never go back to being sheep with the iphone.

the iphone is nice but yes im tired of hearing about it and seeing it everywhere.

As a device and phone it is much the same as an Android.

So, do you view the android as a fad?

I've sold 5 iphone users on my Droid. They said they would never go back to being sheep with the iphone.

So... They are going to be sheep with the android instead.

Really I can't fathom the difference.