Board stats for the past 3 years

Board Stats for the past three years

2009: 21,233 registrations, 71,449 new topics, 851,605 replies, 38,161 PM's sent and 44,320,278 topic views.

2008: 17,287 registrations, 73,268 new topics, 873,742 replies, 27,029 PM's sent and 75,958,808 topic views.

2007: 40,874 registrations, 83,043 new topics, 916,208 replies, 25,623 PM's sent and 89,463,101 topic views.

I'm going to confirm with Dave if the topic views are actually correct, we have modified this board to handle topic views differently from the base install, because the default way is just to taxing on the server(s). But overal its a worrying trend. I'll see if Dave can knock out news poster stats for the past 3 years to add to this.

According to Dave they are correct, whats weird is that the other stats aren't too worrying. Registrations are up again. 36,752 in 2006 btw.

Not to surprising, I showed stats from Google trends before in a news post comment and was called 'crazy' by the staff. Even Neobond himself quoted me and said the stats I posted were not accurate. But as seen in this topic they were bang on the money.

This was the image I showed before:

viz.png

Neowin in Blue, Guru3D in Red.

Personally I don't think the stats mater. I like the board more now than I ever have and the main reason is because the Mods are less handsy these days. They were more heavy handed in the old years (Y) good improvement.

I wouldn't worry too much yet. Reasons?

• The Neowin community is still going strong and constantly growing. Very few if any tech fora have as many loyal users from as far back as 2001/2002.
  • The sheer amount of technical knowledge on the forum. Google (or bing) for a tech-related question, and you'll likely end up on Neowin.
  • The upcoming site overhaul. All the new and improved features Atlas will bring can only help the site to get more attention.

In my humble opinion Neowin has reasons enough to be optimistic for 2010.

• The Neowin community is still going strong and constantly growing. Very few if any tech fora have as many loyal users from as far back as 2001/2002.
  • The sheer amount of technical knowledge on the forum. Google (or bing) for a tech-related question, and you'll likely end up on Neowin.
  • The upcoming site overhaul. All the new and improved features Atlas will bring can only help the site to get more attention.

I agree with all of the above. Especially about the Googling for tech related answers you will often end up at Neowin in a result.

I agree too, plus we will finally have a decent mobile site, so Neowin can be checked on the go!

Totally agree here. Go Neowin for 2010!

If the stats are correct there has been a big decrease in the number of topic views. Are there any stats to say how many accounts have been closed?

The topic views seems to follow the trend from the other stats. A lot of registrations mean a lot of new users browsing around. The majority of those users were probably the hit and run type users (that register browse around then forget about the site) which would explain the drop in views.

I think most pageviews come from people with computer problems using google with an error code or something.

I guess the site could do with a huge set of general help guides like Microsoft does? :p

I think most pageviews come from people with computer problems using google with an error code or something.

I guess the site could do with a huge set of general help guides like Microsoft does? :p

Are you willing to write some of those guides?

Forum topics and replies have not dropped by much so there probably isn't much of a drop in the number of regular users. I expect that we are seeing a drop in the number of casual visitors that get linked to us from other sites.

The number of topic views has gone down considerably; however, the number of replies (and new topics) hasn't dropped that much. I'd say it isn't as bad as it seems. I'm sure things will improve a lot once the new site overhaul goes live.

You've got the color coding wrong, number of registrations have dropped significantly also. or not, it's in relation to the previous year :/.

anyway instead of pointing out problems we might as well come up with solutions. I'd start on making the community more healthier and a lot more talkative. Encourage people to post, cookie system much :D ?

You've got the color coding wrong, number of registrations have dropped significantly also. or not, it's in relation to the previous year :/.

anyway instead of pointing out problems we might as well come up with solutions. I'd start on making the community more healthier and a lot more talkative. Encourage people to post, cookie system much :D ?

You mean a reputation system of sorts?

I think the update will generate a lot of interest too, theres also a rep system in IPB3 (negative votes will be disabled) which will give members something lese to look at rather than just post count.

My PS3 guide got teh viewz (127,598) I deserve a badge, A BADGE I TELL YOU!

I'll try catch up to Rappy, then we'll have more replies and new topics. See this is the only reason the mods still keep me here, I post a lot ;)

My PS3 guide got teh viewz (127,598) I deserve a badge, A BADGE I TELL YOU!

I'll try catch up to Rappy, then we'll have more replies and new topics. See this is the only reason the mods still keep me here, I post a lot ;)

haha, your PS3 guide is the stuff of legends!