Board stats for the past 3 years

I find the decline worrisome, not just for here but over the entire internet. It seems to have dropped less here and I think that's because of the strong base here. Hopefully 2010 will be a banner year and we'll reverse the trend.

• The Neowin community is still going strong and constantly growing. Very few if any tech fora have as many loyal users from as far back as 2001/2002.

Agreed, though the focus seems to be shifting. :shifty: refer to next comment for explanation

• The sheer amount of technical knowledge on the forum. Google (or bing) for a tech-related question, and you'll likely end up on Neowin.

The thing with the technical knowledge with this forum is that not many people come here for technical knowledge, if you've noticed, it would seem the people posting in Software/OS/etc. forums seems to be declining.

• The upcoming site overhaul. All the new and improved features Atlas will bring can only help the site to get more attention.

Just a question: aside from aesthetics, features such as? :hmmm:

Just a question: aside from aesthetics, features such as? :hmmm:

You'll have to wait until Atlas is unleashed on the general public to find out.

You'll have to wait until Atlas is unleashed on the general public to find out.

Aw, OK. Do you know when? I can't seem to find it in any of the Atlas threads.

Aw, OK. Do you know when? I can't seem to find it in any of the Atlas threads.

Hopefully very soon.

On the plus side, it could be a rising trend of quality versus quantity.

On the plus side, it could be a rising trend of quality versus quantity.

That could be correct too.

To see a three year slow decline in topics.. it is kind of saddening :(

I think the update will generate a lot of interest too, theres also a rep system in IPB3 (negative votes will be disabled) which will give members something lese to look at rather than just post count.

Not to mention the other features in IPB3. I know that users who come on a daily basis will be posting a lot more, especially with the new added feature :wub:

A front end isn't going to do anything if the content isn't there. For any kind of technical information, there are better sites out there for a person to go to. Where's the focus from Neowin? How have you guys STILL missed the increased popularity of mobile phone and home theater news? How is it that the front page here is still a good day behind other news sites?

I was a mod for a long time and was treated like a moron when I suggested we needed to refocus on the technical content and not just general discussion. It's fine, keep ignoring that. I'll keep visiting for a few rare good discussions, but I know there's nothing to learn here, most of the time.

Wow a rep system on Neowin? I never thought I'd see that happen. :p

Well, individual users have rating stars on their profile page. But that tends to get abused. Someone posts something positive about Sony, the Xbox fanboys rate them down. And vice-versa.

Imagine someone posting something positive about the RIAA/MPAA or the EU! :laugh:

A front end isn't going to do anything if the content isn't there. For any kind of technical information, there are better sites out there for a person to go to. Where's the focus from Neowin? How have you guys STILL missed the increased popularity of mobile phone and home theater news? How is it that the front page here is still a good day behind other news sites?

I was a mod for a long time and was treated like a moron when I suggested we needed to refocus on the technical content and not just general discussion. It's fine, keep ignoring that. I'll keep visiting for a few rare good discussions, but I know there's nothing to learn here, most of the time.

We're not here to provide technical information to everyone, most people that visit Neowin news don't want to be bored by technical info in a story they just want the latest tech news that's interesting. Again Home Theater news is a small set of people but you think we should be prioritising that news front page? We keep on top of most of the important mobile phones that come out so what exactly are we missing there? Our front page is very rarely a "day behind" at all.

Neowin isn't the only site that's dwindling in activity over past years; if you look at many other tech forums, they're in the same boat if not worse. What makes Neowin special though is its sheer size; it makes diminished activity like this kind of hard to notice.

we will just have to get Rappy and a few others to pick it up a bit and make sure that the numbers are MUCH better for 2010

we will just have to get Rappy and a few others to pick it up a bit and make sure that the numbers are MUCH better for 2010

I'm not a machine :p

Did I hear someone call my name?

I don't think the stats are that worrying to be honest, Neowin is as strong as ever IMHO.

I might as well post the graphs here too, they're relevant:

Registrations/day:

pub?key=pR_z87nZAZy6bPSRgz-R7AQ&oid=2&output=image

New topics/day:

pub?key=pR_z87nZAZy6bPSRgz-R7AQ&oid=3&output=image

Replies/day:

pub?key=pR_z87nZAZy6bPSRgz-R7AQ&oid=4&output=image

PMs/day:

pub?key=pR_z87nZAZy6bPSRgz-R7AQ&oid=5&output=image

Topic views/day:

pub?key=pR_z87nZAZy6bPSRgz-R7AQ&oid=6&output=image