• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

News Stats for the past 3 years

Steven P.    14,707

News Stats for the past three years

2009: 3,508 news articles, 32,742,109 unique article hits and 124,282 comments posted.

2008: 3,896 news articles, 48,830,406 article hits and 68,980 comments posted.

2007: 7,294 news articles, 54,237,400 article hits and 88,560 comments posted.

Also a downward trend, but keep in mind that in 2007 we virtually copy/pasted from other sites. From 2008 we started writing our own articles. Seems laziness sometimes pays off! From last year, the news views are now counted as a unique hit, which could explain the drop in views for 2009 when in fact it could be more.

2007 and 2008 counted every page hit as a view by one person, for example if I land on one news article 5x to view the comments, it was counted

Edit: Marcel added in code to count news article hits as unique from the 10th of January 2009. This means that the views for news are actually higher than the 2 previous years where every hit wasn't counted as unique, but a page hit. Good news finally!

PixilEyes    128

IMO the news writers have been doing a good job for the past year or so.

(Y)

supernova_00    1

There needs to be more news posts. Sometimes I come here and it is a the same stories from three days ago and no new articles...very depressing that I have to go elsewhere now for tech news.

PixilEyes    128
There needs to be more news posts. Sometimes I come here and it is a the same stories from three days ago and no new articles...very depressing that I have to go elsewhere now for tech news.

I visit Neowin and Engadget my self.

Damo R.    29,671
IMO the news writers have been doing a good job for the past year or so.

(Y)

I agree!, I miss writing news for Neowin but the current Roster are talented! :)

PixilEyes    128
I agree!, I miss writing news for Neowin but the current Roster are talented! :)

I must admit your postings are great in the media section. Its basically news to me, just on a different part of the site.

Damo R.    29,671
I must admit your postings are great in the media section. Its basically news to me, just on a different part of the site.

haha thanks ^_^

Jimmy0    38

Just goes to show how much improved the original content in the news stories has worked due to the help of the Staff. (Y)

Barney T.    2,359

(Y) Great work staff.... let's keep the articles rolling to boost these stats!

Growled    3,881

In this case quality is more important than quantity. The staff is doing an excellent job. The rewards will come, in time.

Yusuf M.    1,364

Good news indeed! (Y)

Damo R.    29,671

f9mB7.jpg

:p

James7    659

Excellent work, News Staffers! (Y)?

Andrew Lyle    340

Is there stats on how many pages hits there are for 2009? (not unique)

RoomKid    15

Great! I love reading the news here at Neowin!

Sean B.    175

If you guys have any suggestions for our news team, please feel free to let us know :). The more we know what the community wants to read, the better we can serve you guys.

M_Lyons10    454
f9mB7.jpg

:p

LOL, that's hilarious!

And as for the OP, this sounds good. I like the news stories, I just have two criticisms (To be taken constructively I hope).

1) It would be nice to see more articles. I like some of the reviews, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the reviews. One product is reviewed, while others are not. It can then be quite some time before the next review. Neowin isn't really a review site, and I understand that, but sometimes it feels like Neowin is trying to be something that it's not. I personally like the reviews, but reviews require a considerable commitment. Also I would really like for Reviews to have their own section separate from news stories.

2) The original news articles are great, but more often than appropriate personal opinions (Whether they be Anti Apple or Anti Microsoft) creep in to the news story itself. It's bad enough that this exists in the comments, but it should not be in the news stories at all. The articles should strive to be subjective and impartial.

Also, as far as the articles are concerned, I would really love to see more interviews of people in the tech industry. It doesn't need to be about a particular product launch, or something like that. Just holding interviews about where they think technology will go in the next year, things they've learned from running a tech company, work flow practices, etc. An inside look would be a lot of fun I think. I read a very interesting article the other day (Not on Neowin) in which Google's Marissa Mayer was talking about how she runs meetings. It was very interesting and different. Meetings are a big part of her job and she has spent a lot of time thinking through how best to run a meeting. It made sense for this to be discussed with her. I think things like that would be interesting and different.

Thanks, and I can't wait to see what Neowin brings in 2010.