Finding the best Blu Ray player for 150 dollars.

After reading the replies I'm more at a loss than ever about what kind of player to get.

Looks like the PS3 is the only good player out there as I've heard bad stories on almost every standalone out there.

the sony bdps360 is also a decent player, the only real drawback imo is no wireless. i use it more or less every day since i got it and haven't found any troublesome disc yet

the sony bdps360 is also a decent player, the only real drawback imo is no wireless. i use it more or less every day since i got it and haven't found any troublesome disc yet

Darn! Should've gotten that instead of the Samsung BD-P1600. I don't understand why Sony is the only company that can make DVD and BD players right. I mean, I've had problems with a few DVD players I got. So, I replaced them with Sony ones and all was well. Now, I buy a Samsung Blu-ray player and I recently discover certain issues with it. Now, I read that the Sony players are stable. I hate to sound like a Sony "fanboy" but it seems like every time I go the non-Sony route, I run into issues. I buy a Sony, no issues. *scratches head*

Maybe cause you said you worked for an electronics retailer. :p I guess it'd make sense that people would have a natural inclination to be wary of a guy who sells this stuff.

Does the BD-P1500 have as many issues as the 1600?

Because if I remember correctly, several people here insisted that the BD-P1500 was an excellent player and performed just as well as the PS3. That's what convinced me to buy the Samsung BD-P1600. I figured...same brand, newer model, a lot of great recommendations at Neowin....what the heck? Let me go for it. Thanks guys! Now I have to spend my Christmas money to spend an extra $300 on a PS3. But wow! $300! :no:

Maybe cause you said you worked for an electronics retailer. :p I guess it'd make sense that people would have a natural inclination to be wary of a guy who sells this stuff.

I don't sell the stuff. I would have said I sold it. Even then, there would be no logical reason for me to push anyone towards or away from an product while discussing it over the internet. I'm a home theater buff. I can't afford the stuff, but I enjoy knowing about it. When I can help someone out, I do so honestly with whatever information I may have.

Does the BD-P1500 have as many issues as the 1600?

Because if I remember correctly, several people here insisted that the BD-P1500 was an excellent player and performed just as well as the PS3. That's what convinced me to buy the Samsung BD-P1600. I figured...same brand, newer model, a lot of great recommendations at Neowin....what the heck? Let me go for it. Thanks guys! Now I have to spend my Christmas money to spend an extra $300 on a PS3. But wow! $300! :no:

I got the Best Buy brand Insignia NS-BRDVD3 as a birthday gift from my girl and I couldn't be happier with it. It doesn't do master audio or wireless, but my audio system doesn't support MA and my router is 5 feet away from it. I Netflix, exclusively, but I haven't come across any incompatible discs yet.

Disclaimer: I work for BB. Just relaying my good experience with the player I own and the fact that I notice few returns on the unit.

Anyone who is a regular reader on here would note that advice given from either bangbang or Boz are normally pretty impartial and in depth. From my understanding they are two of the more clued up guys when it comes to home cinema setups.

I got the Best Buy brand Insignia NS-BRDVD3 as a birthday gift from my girl and I couldn't be happier with it. It doesn't do master audio or wireless, but my audio system doesn't support MA and my router is 5 feet away from it. I Netflix, exclusively, but I haven't come across any incompatible discs yet.

Disclaimer: I work for BB. Just relaying my good experience with the player I own and the fact that I notice few returns on the unit.

I'm not doubting you because you obviously know your stuff, but I just can't believe that Samsung (a reputable company) has just degraded itself to the point where an Insignia player is significantly better. Holy mackerel! This is definitely my last Samsung purchase ever! Even though my Samsung TV is working great and has excellent picture, I can't risk another bad piece of expensive merchandise. Samsung obviously is lacking proper quality control and I have now officially turned into a Sony fanboy!

i dont know i think the cheaper players are a better option than you would expect. the rebranded momitsu's are <?100 (hmv had some for ?50 recently) and can play any region dvd/bd with remote codes, they can even play mkv

keep meaning to get one as a second player for the criterion kurosawa bd's but the price keeps going down on them

Might be too late for OP but Costco has their equivalent of the BDPS360 on sale for 110 including HDMI cable and free shipping

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...〈=en-US

Why it has no wireless, it is pretty easy to update. Took about 20 minutes by plugging my cable modem into it to update. Can also just use a flash drive or burn a cd to put on updates.

Any chance I can sell my Samsung BD-P1600 on Ebay and use the money to get a Sony player? My only concern is that I don't want the buyer bugging me for a refund and giving me negative feedback because of certain compatibility issues.

Any chance I can sell my Samsung BD-P1600 on Ebay and use the money to get a Sony player? My only concern is that I don't want the buyer bugging me for a refund and giving me negative feedback because of certain compatibility issues.

How much are you looking to get on the 1600.... I am not concerned with compatibility issues since I will not be using it to play standard DVDs.

$100 will be satisfactory.

But I was talking about compatibility issues with Blu-ray. This player is moody with a few select BDs. I only played a few DVDs on this unit and it played them fine.

$100 will be satisfactory.

But I was talking about compatibility issues with Blu-ray. This player is moody with a few select BDs. I only played a few DVDs on this unit and it played them fine.

Ahh.. ok.. I didnt read your posts about play back issues with Bluray. I have a PS3 now but I wanted a dedicated player.. guess I'll wait til I can afford a higher end model.

Good to see this site up and running after being down for the longest time.

Anyways, my BD-P1600 is working fine now. It was just those two glitches I experienced before that made me freak out. I bought a few new BDs over the weekend and it played it all without any problem or hiccups. I think bangbang just jinxed it before, that?s all. But thankfully, it unjinxed itself :p

Just to reconfirm how right bangbang023 was ...

I work at a best buy in Victoria, and we had 3 of the samsung 1600 returned during my last shift, and 7 or 8 of the sony S360's returned that day as well.

Ya, our returns right now are the opposite of what bangbangs are (more sonys than samsungs) but what he said is still correct.

If your going to go for the cheapest anything, do expect much out of it.

I don?t think the Samsung BD-P1600 is THAT cheap. It was $300 when it first came out. I just happen to find it at Amazon when they had a special during the summer, so I paid a lot less than that. Had I bought it at Best Buy, it would?ve cost me $300.

And the Samsung BD-P3600 (the higher end model) is very similar to the 1600, only it?s faster and has a few more features. But as far as stability is concerned, it has just as much problems as the 1600. And the 3600 was $400 when it first came out.

Bangbang said he got the cheapo Insignia Blu-ray player at Best Buy and it works flawlessly for him. And that only costs $100.

My point is- More expensive does not necessarily mean better and cheaper doesn?t necessarily mean POS. It all comes down to how the company manufactures the machine and how much quality control was done.