UAC Whitelist?

Okay, okay. I trust this program. Not just this time, not just today... but always.

Is there a way to get rid of the UAC notification for some programs?

I read that you can do it if you want the program to start up when windows starts using win7's task scheduler, but that seems hackish... I don't want to make a bunch of scheduled tasks just for that. Also, suppose I don't need the program to start on startup?

The "tweak/hack" your talking about using task schedule can be used to create shortcuts to your programs to run whenever you want - they are not just for start up programs, etc.

For example

http://www.<< spam >>/114406-post71.html

You can right click on a program, properties, compatibility - run as admin, but this still gives you the uac prompt.

I also believe there is a way to setup your programs to run as admin, but not give you prompt with the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

But I have not really had a need to test this out -- but when I get a chance I will, but a quick google sure looks like you can do what you want with this tool

Okay, okay. I trust this program. Not just this time, not just today... but always.

Is there a way to get rid of the UAC notification for some programs?

I read that you can do it if you want the program to start up when windows starts using win7's task scheduler, but that seems hackish... I don't want to make a bunch of scheduled tasks just for that. Also, suppose I don't need the program to start on startup?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/

Did the same under Windows 7 64-bit and works fine.

Like the poster above said, it creates a UAC-less shortcut to a program.

Use the Compatibility Administrator tool in Application Compatiblity Toolkit 5.5 to run an app elevated on demand without a UAC prompt.

Turn it off. It's just an annoyance and a feeble attempt at securing Windows. I've had more than a few PC's with it enabled and have had to go through rigorous scans for spyware/malware and viruses recently. Get a good antivirus(MSE, Avast, Antivir to name a few) and do periodic scans with Malwarebytes and Superantispyware.

it never annoys you! It is a HELPER! It is really a shame that so many noobs shut "turn it off" before sitting down 5 minutes and learn how it works.

it never annoys you! It is a HELPER! It is really a shame that so many noobs shut "turn it off" before sitting down 5 minutes and learn how it works.

I'm far from being a "noob". It doesn't work. Yes it can be configured to not annoy the user so much but it doesn't work as it should. Hence my post.

If youre into going to dodgy sites / use P2P programs, then maybe you need it. Which I dont use. XP didnt need it, so I dont use it in Vista or Win7. And WHEN it was on it blocked Foxit reader from updating (kept bringing up access denied errors). Thats another reason I killed it. I dont have to confirm if I want to run something. Otherwise, I wouldnt run it would I?

Edited by PaulAuckNZ

I'm far from being a "noob". It doesn't work. Yes it can be configured to not annoy the user so much but it doesn't work as it should. Hence my post.

How doesn't it work?

If youre into going to dodgy sites / use P2P programs, then maybe you need it. Which I dont use. XP didnt need it, so I dont use it in Vista or Win7. And WHEN it was on it blocked Foxit reader from updating (kept bringing up access denied errors). Thats another reason I killed it

Are you seriously suggesting that because XP "didn't" need it, it's not needed? That's a pretty silly argument.

No, it's not just about dodgy sites and P2P, since problems existed before both. It's not like viruses didn't exist before the internet.

Besides, sounds like badly designed Foxit, not badly design UAC.

How doesn't it work?

Did you not read my post?

Turn it off. It's just an annoyance and a feeble attempt at securing Windows. I've had more than a few PC's with it enabled and have had to go through rigorous scans for spyware/malware and viruses recently. Get a good antivirus(MSE, Avast, Antivir to name a few) and do periodic scans with Malwarebytes and Superantispyware.

Is not just a prompt, its telling you the program is trying to gain access to places it shouldn't without your permission.

How does UAC protect us? Since the virus infects your computer when you use it as a standard user, the virus cannot get access to the global system resources, and therefore the amount of damage it can do is severely limited. Although it still can corrupt your documents and read your email, it cannot infect Windows system files or install itself to be automatically activated everytime you login to the computer. If a virus attempts to modify the system files and settings, UAC will alert you by displaying an elevation prompt.

Everyone should do whatever they want but disabling it on users that don't know any better is a bad idea!

Did you not read my post?

UAC is not anti-spyware or anti-malware. It's anti-programs doing things they don't have rights to do.

It is not in any way a replacement for anti-malware or anti-virus software. If it were, don't you think it would be a little odd for Microsoft to supply MSE and Windows Defender specifically for Vista and 7?

How doesn't it work?

Are you seriously suggesting that because XP "didn't" need it, it's not needed? That's a pretty silly argument.

No, it's not just about dodgy sites and P2P, since problems existed before both. It's not like viruses didn't exist before the internet.

Besides, sounds like badly designed Foxit, not badly design UAC.

Well, whatever its still annoying. Since its off Foxit can update. I dont need something to ask me for confirmation to run something. Otherwise I wouldnt run it. Its been off on Vista here (the other PC) for nearly a year and 1/2. Its still in one piece

Well, whatever its still annoying. Since its off Foxit can update. I dont need something to ask me for confirmation to run something. Otherwise I wouldnt run it. Its been off on Vista here (the other PC) for nearly a year and 1/2. Its still in one piece

The argument that you've avoided issues, therefore it must be okay should not be convincing to anyone but yourself. It is a very silly argument to put forward on a forum as a reason for other people to do it.

I agree, it can be annoying. That, again, is not a reason to switch it off.

It's not just about confirmation to run something. It's about ensuring programs have only the rights they need, and no more. While technically this could be achieved without a prompt, it would fail to give the user any indication of programs trying to do more than they should, and would not give developers an incentive to code in a better fashion.

UAC is not anti-spyware or anti-malware. It's anti-programs doing things they don't have rights to do.

It is not in any way a replacement for anti-malware or anti-virus software. If it were, don't you think it would be a little odd for Microsoft to supply MSE and Windows Defender specifically for Vista and 7?

I know that genius. If it it so good then why do VIRUSES and such sneak by?

I know that genius. If it it so good then why do VIRUSES and such sneak by?

I just said, it's not a replacement for anti-virus software.

It can limit the damage a virus can do, but it doesn't prevent their existence.

The argument that you've avoided issues, therefore it must be okay should not be convincing to anyone but yourself. It is a very silly argument to put forward on a forum as a reason for other people to do it.

I agree, it can be annoying. That, again, is not a reason to switch it off.

It's not just about confirmation to run something. It's about ensuring programs have only the rights they need, and no more. While technically this could be achieved without a prompt, it would fail to give the user any indication of programs trying to do more than they should, and would not give developers an incentive to code in a better fashion.

Am I forcing someone to turn it off? NO. If someone wants to leave it on, then leave it on, by all means. I doubt it'll limit the damage a virus can do Kirk. Whatever the virus is and does it'll do it. It doesnt matter if its on or off. I've seen HJT posts from people who have been infected. UAC has been on and its been covered in infections. It didnt limit anything whatsoever

I just said, it's not a replacement for anti-virus software.

It can limit the damage a virus can do, but it doesn't prevent their existence.

No. It doesn't limit anything if malicious software gets access to the OS (and possibly other software/programs).

(snipped)

read this:

http://www.msfn.org/board/faq-uac-t135143.html

I tried to explain you in simple words what UAC is.

With UAC you have standard user rights! Standard users were never able to write to C:\Windows or install applications.

Is you still don't understand it, it's simply your fault (snipped)

Edited by rm20010
No personal attacks please.