UAC Whitelist?

As mentioned previously, is not just about those popups you see - it's a general method of ensuring that programs run with only the rights they are supposed to have. This goes beyond the yes/no popups.

It's not really an anti-malware/spyware/virus solution, but a general security solution.

As mentioned previously, is not just about those popups you see - it's a general method of ensuring that programs run with only the rights they are supposed to have. This goes beyond the yes/no popups.

It's not really an anti-malware/spyware/virus solution, but a general security solution.

I realise it's not. But the general annoyance of the public with regards to UAC *is* the popup that it produces.

What I'm saying was that we shouldn't see it as protection against malware. Because, honestly, it sucks at doing so.

Btw XP Professional x64 and Server 2003 include this particular setting on the compatibility tab that says: "Allow non-administrators to run this program". Why does 32-bit XP not have this? It would have allowed running many apps that refuse to run under standard user accounts on NT 5.x.

Because it is not the same operating system? You aren't automatically entitled to features that are present in other products. The server line had a different focus, which explains why it might have something like that.

Because it is not the same operating system? You aren't automatically entitled to features that are present in other products. The server line had a different focus, which explains why it might have something like that.

Except you missed the fact that XP x64 has the feature as well. I'd guess it's more processor dependant than a licensing issue.

Except you missed the fact that XP x64 has the feature as well.

Which is most likely simply a side-effect of the fact that XP x64 is actually Server 2003 with some configuration changes to make it a client build. Despite the name, it is not XP compiled for AMD64.

Which is most likely simply a side-effect of the fact that XP x64 is actually Server 2003 with some configuration changes to make it a client build. Despite the name, it is not XP compiled for AMD64.

What are you basing that claim on? I am aware that it used the Server 2003 kernel (because that was the latest one available when it was released), but I'd love to know where you came up with this information.

What are you basing that claim on? I am aware that it used the Server 2003 kernel (because that was the latest one available when it was released), but I'd love to know where you came up with this information.

"The kernel" isn't some separate item you can just rip out of a new version and put in an older version of the OS. I suspect it wouldn't even work at all.

I honestly thought this was common knowledge, especially to anyone who's run XP x64. The OS even has the same version number as 2003 (which causes some compatibility issues, because it doesn't match XP), and shares binaries and service packs with it. It's the same thing as with Vista SP1/2008 and 7/2008 R2, which do the same.

That's the Itanium 64-bit version, not the x64 version. They are different. The section you should be looking at is right below that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_ed...nal_x64_Edition It uses the "core system files" meaning the kernel and probably several other related files, but I still think it is a stretch to say it is simply a rebranded and tweaked version of Server 2003.

"The kernel" isn't some separate item you can just rip out of a new version and put in an older version of the OS. I suspect it wouldn't even work at all.

I honestly thought this was common knowledge, especially to anyone who's run XP x64. The OS even has the same version number as 2003 (which causes some compatibility issues, because it doesn't match XP), and shares binaries and service packs with it. It's the same thing as with Vista SP1/2008 and 7/2008 R2, which do the same.

Sharing service packs is hardly proof that the OS is "the same with a few configuration changes". You just posted evidence of that yourself. There also the fact that Windows FLP uses the same service packs as Windows Embedded. That's just evidence that the related OSs use the same kernel and core system files, which isn't in dispute.

In the end, I guess it is all a matter of semantics, and where you want to draw the line between different OSs that share some components.

That's the Itanium 64-bit version, not the x64 version. They are different. The section you should be looking at is right below that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_ed...nal_x64_Edition It uses the "core system files" meaning the kernel and probably several other related files, but I still think it is a stretch to say it is simply a rebranded and tweaked version of Server 2003.

Yeah the answer seems to basically somewhere in the middle. It's not just a rebranded 2003, and it's not not Server 2003.

Yeah the answer seems to basically somewhere in the middle. It's not just a rebranded 2003, and it's not not Server 2003.

It's the ****** child of both, which is why, at least in my experience, XP x64 never performed well compared to XP x86, or 2k3 x86/x64 .. It always had it's own flavor of bugs, in addition to bugs from both OS's..

im still trying to figure out how its so annoying to people. Sure when I installed my apps I got a few pop ups, but now that everything is installed I haven't seen it since. And for those that asked about passwords and UAC try running an app that requires Admin status on a limited account when the Admin account is password protected.

Im sorry but I just fail to see how a program like UAC causes this much annoyance and stress for some people. Its a great idea and does seem to work, I have noticed this with my parents

Windows is secure. Much more secure as you think, but when all n00bs like you running with admin accounts and not with limited user account, all the security is gone. Ask the *nix guys, which account they use. And all power users use a LUA, but on Windows all n00bs ("power users" or "experts") are running a admin account. With the SDL ( security development lifetime) process, all MS products are much secure than all other software products in the world. But this is something you also never heard before :rolleyes:

"Noob" my ass. My admin account is locked down and I have been a network admin for quite a few years so go troll somewhere else.

im still trying to figure out how its so annoying to people. Sure when I installed my apps I got a few pop ups, but now that everything is installed I haven't seen it since. And for those that asked about passwords and UAC try running an app that requires Admin status on a limited account when the Admin account is password protected.

Im sorry but I just fail to see how a program like UAC causes this much annoyance and stress for some people. Its a great idea and does seem to work, I have noticed this with my parents

If you're just playing games and surfing then you don't..

Me, with some of my web development tools, servers, etc.. I was getting 15-20 prompts a day, 5 of which just on every boot..

Calling people noobs is not in the spirit of the forums, and you would be wise to watch it, friend.

1) Although neat, the 'whitelist' provided doesn't actually work very well on all applications if they get loaded during startup (odd, probably has to do with the user that invokes them.

2) Although neat, that's a huge pain in the ass / round about way of accomplishing something that should be simple. One. Two.

3) I said sandboxing that was actually straight forward to use. Like sandboxie (google it), which unfortunately does not work for x64. I'm talking about "run this in sandbox mode and show me what it's doing to my system.

Now kindly stop bashing people. In all probability your understanding is also limited (read: less than 100%), and thus has a possibility to be faulty. Perhaps you are the one mistaken in how good it is and someone with an understanding ever so slightly greater than your own will say that UAC sucks. Seeing as how you cannot foresee this, I once again strongly urge you not to flame these boards.

your reaction shows me that I'm right. Every people (students, house wifes, averange pc users) I gave that link were able to start the apps with this shortcut and only the "experts" here on neowin fail. This only shows me I'm right. Putting the shortcut into the startup folder run the program at startup. I'm using it to start RMClock at startup. So next time spend 5 minutes and learn new things!

@mods close this topic. I gave the solution, all other answers from the neowin "experts" will continue the flawewar, because they are not able to learn new things. :laugh:

@mods close this topic. I gave the solution, all other answers from the neowin "experts" will continue the flawewar, because they are not able to learn new things. :laugh:

This coming from a condescending creep who takes the chance to attack anyone with an Opinion other than his.

I wish every time someone disagreed with me I could just call them a Noob or something.. too bad in the real world, not the online world, you'd get your ass kicked and/or fired.