SmartMoney predicts DVDs will become obsolete later this year.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/artic...-to-buy-in-2010

In this Yahoo article, provided by SmartMoney.com, DVDs are listed as one of the things you shouldn't buy this year because it may become obsolete very soon. I wonder if Blu-ray is the main reason for it's decline in sales. Probably is because I haven't bought many DVDs since I got my Blu-ray player 6 months ago. I only bought a couple, which happened to be classic shows that aren't on Blu-ray and probably never will be. But other than that, I've mainly bought BDs.

Not sure if I agree or not, but reading the article I could not help but see this...

Verizon Fios cable service charges $5.99 a month to download unlimited movies.

I am a Verizon Fios subscriber and I am curious as to what they are talking about?? I know of no option to download unlimited movies for $5.99 a month. Not at all. Does anyone know what they mean?

Not sure if I agree or not, but reading the article I could not help but see this...

I am a Verizon Fios subscriber and I am curious as to what they are talking about?? I know of no option to download unlimited movies for $5.99 a month. Not at all. Does anyone know what they mean?

It's downloads to your computer or Internet enabled devices via Starz.

http://surround.verizon.net/Shop/Entertain.../StarzPlay.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

SmartMoney or whoever the company is arent so smart.

DVDs are here to stay as long as there is a market for it and DVD sales outsell Blu Ray by a astronomical amount with also upscaling DVD players becoming better and better these days.

I think SmartMoney is right. I rarely buy DVDs now. The only time I buy DVDs is if I absolutely have to because whatever I want is not available on Blu-ray such as classic TV shows.

heh... yea right.

I'm afraid this company called - what was it? - SmartA*s?

Whatever...

I guess, not everyone has already got bluray or wrote it down to his or her "to buy in '10" list.

I for one will face quite some financial start-up costs (moving, starting university, well, you know) and the least I could care about is blu ray atm.

I can get HD content cheaaaaper via internet and my iMac is my choice of home theater anyways...

The last big joy investment till at least fall will be a new xbox 360.

hah, eat that.

And I know many are in similar situations or are like me not so into blu ray right now for other reasons.

which is IMO the direct competitior, downloads are like... meh...

nothing for the shelves... (i know i use them, even though, when it comes to "have it" factor...)

Glassed Silver:win