• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

something's seriously not right here....

EmuZombie    139

explorer.jpg

and that's without a desktop background.....

configure    1

:o

mortensen    0

*YAWN* - I've said this SO many times. With the Luna GUI enabled it can take upto 23MB [easily - I've had over 29mb]. And when you start IE6 that takes up 20-30mb and so does Explorer... taking RAM usage upto 60mb for just running the Luna interface and IE.

When I disable the Luna interface I can get down usage to 7mb. That is why [even though I have 256RAM] that I disable the Luna interface.

I am now using Win98... 'nuff said.

PS - Having it that low is GOOD.

-mortensenj

EmuZombie    139

wanna bet?

explorer2.jpg

mortensen    0

I said I CAN get it down that low... everyone's will vary but from tests I've carried out the Luna GUI uses MORE RAM.

In MY experience with the grey GUI it used 13mb and for Luna it used 18mb. There is a difference. I have had the grey GUI down to 7mb but that's not to say it's CONSTANTLY at that. Also, I found that the grey GUI could fit more programs in the Task Bar and it runs slightly faster [not that either is SLOW!].

You can see why 256RAM is recommended though. 60mb is used when Explorer and IE run together... and with other programs running [like SVCHost] the usable RAM is much less... saying that though I found [when I used WinXP - it's crap and kept crashing so I'm now back on Win98] that it ran games at EXACTLY the same speed [it could of been SLIGHTLY slower or SLIGHTLY faster... but I didn't notice at all].

WIERD FACT: You can shutdown Explorer.exe [freeing upto 30mb of RAM] while you play you game, then relaunch it when finished. This doesn't seem to speed it up but if you have only 128RAM I would recommend doing this... to do it, Ctrl-Alt-Del and a window will come up... right click on Explorer and click End Process. To launch Half-Life [or gamespy, whatever] just click the menu at the top and select an application... then select Half-Life or gamespy [or whatever other game].

-mortensenj