Expensive Stealth Racing boat Rammed in Antartica Whale Wars

Expensive crash....all that carbon fibre....Crunncchhh!! :punch: :pirate: :s

post-17178-1262822983.jpg

This handout photo received and taken on January 6, 2010 from the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society shows the Sea Shepherd's ship Ady Gil (bottom), a wave-piercing boat formerly known as "Earthrace", after it was rammed by Japanese whaling vessel Shonan Maru No. 2 (background) in Antarctic waters. The space-age powerboat sent to harass Japanese whalers was rammed and sliced in two in its very first clash, activists said, dramatically escalating hostilities in icy Antarctic seas. All six crew on the Ady Gil trimaran, which holds the round-the-world record, were rescued unharmed, the Sea Shepherd animal rights group said in a statement. RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE AFP PHOTO / HO / MANDATORY CREDIT: Sea Shepherd Conservation Society / JoAnne McArthur (Photo credit should read JoAnne McArthur/AFP/Getty Images)

Video:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34722032/ns/wo...=43001#34725292

Boat damaged in anti-whaling clash

Conservation group says Japanese ship rammed them

updated 5:55 p.m. ET Jan. 6, 2010

SYDNEY - A conservation group's boat had its bow sheared off and was taking on water Wednesday after it collided with a Japanese whaling ship in the frigid waters of Antarctica, the group said.

The boat's six crew members were safely transferred to another of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society's vessels, the newly commissioned Bob Barker. The boat is named for the American game show host who donated $5 million to buy it.

The clash was the most serious in the past several years, during which the Sea Shepherd has sent vessels into far-southern waters to try to harass the Japanese fleet into ceasing its annual whale hunt.

Arcticle and Pics

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34722032/ns/wo...ment/?gt1=43001

It is not the first time this happens to a boat from the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society.

A few years back in Canada, one of their boat rammed/got rammed a boat from the canadian coast guard.

Is this their way to get attention in the media? Makes me wonder.

Saw this earlier on the BBC, it has a video. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8442808.stm

wheres the video?

and is this THE earthrace? the same boat with the world record but in black paint?

isn't thing a one-of-a-kind?

EDIT:

found the video

From the Steve Irwin http://www.seashepherd.org/matilda/video.html

From the Shonun Maru no 2 http://www.icrwhale.org/eng/100106SS2.wmv

Research or not these whalers need to stop, these tactics are sickening

Edited by Phantom Helix

why our navy isnt down there firing shells into those japanese whaling boats in OUR waters is beyond me

hey japan, youve killed enough blo00dy whales over the years, surely by now you kow exactly what their insides look like?

i mean you are doing "scientific research" arent you........hmmm no

i say sink the japanese ships, we're well within our rights in our territorial waters

for those outside Australia, also this week we learned the sneaky japanese whalers were now hiring aircraft in australia and using australia as a base to overfly the protest ships.

how many countries in the world would let illegal whalers who were illegally in their waters run a spy op from their mainland as well.

its time we sent them a message they understand...sink their bl00dy ships, you cant say we havent tried being diplomatic, and theres a point where doing nothing looks a whole lot like bending over for the b@stards

I understand them wanting to save the whales and all, but I'm not sure how they're doing it is a good idea. They were trying to get a rope caught in the propellers of the Japanese ship - once you start trying to destroy property, I draw the line. Also, throwing bottles of acid (harmless or not) onto another ship in order to harm the crew isn't okay either in my opinion.

Let's hope they pay for the entire value of the boat. Stupid whale-eating apes.

Yes, they're apes because they have different cultural norms than you do.

Yes, they're apes because they have different cultural norms than you do.

well I wouldn't say apes, but culture does not mean they can't understand the concept of extinction

well I wouldn't say apes, but culture does not mean they can't understand the concept of extinction

they understand it.

They just dont care.

It is not the first time this happens to a boat from the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society.

A few years back in Canada, one of their boat rammed/got rammed a boat from the canadian coast guard.

Is this their way to get attention in the media? Makes me wonder.

yes It is. I have watched the stupid ass show like 2 times. they sent 2 of there crew members to board a japanese ship in international waters. and tried turing it on the japanese because they held them on the ship

It's clear from that youtube CNN video that the harpoon ship *clearly* steered toward them, and then away once the crash occured. The other rammings present on that show have been a little sketchy, but this one you cannot deny. They even spray them with water whilst the captain's trying to reverse.

As a disclaimer, I'm against Whaling, but the Sea Shepherd society aren't doing anything to help.

why our navy isnt down there firing shells into those japanese whaling boats in OUR waters is beyond me

hey japan, youve killed enough blo00dy whales over the years, surely by now you kow exactly what their insides look like?

i mean you are doing "scientific research" arent you........hmmm no

i say sink the japanese ships, we're well within our rights in our territorial waters

for those outside Australia, also this week we learned the sneaky japanese whalers were now hiring aircraft in australia and using australia as a base to overfly the protest ships.

how many countries in the world would let illegal whalers who were illegally in their waters run a spy op from their mainland as well.

its time we sent them a message they understand...sink their bl00dy ships, you cant say we havent tried being diplomatic, and theres a point where doing nothing looks a whole lot like bending over for the b@stards

well I dont know. because no one has clames to Antarctica? and when they are in your waters have fun with your act of war! or at least thats how japan will see it. your not within your rights... so have fun being at war with japan. the us and uk will not be there to help you since you started it

I will admit, I have not read this thread fully. But I feel I must point out:

1) The guy who runs this boat is a liability. He was expelled from Greenpeace for use of violent/destructive tactics.

2) He endorses the use of violent tactics.

3) He deliberately puts himself into harms way.

Sure, I see whaling as wrong, but I see it as "He got himself rammed". Sure, it's a form of protest - putting yourself in harms way... The bloke who laid down infront of a tank at Tianment Square COULD be seen to be doing the same thing.

But he knew the risks, he knew that he could get rammed. Otherwise it would be a futile and pointless gesture. If that bloke laid down KNOWING that tank was not going to come forward, really KNOWING it, then the gesture is meaningless.

I'm against whaling and all that.. but If I was on those ships I'd ram them too.. And the second of of them threw acid or something I'd throw Gas and Flairs..

I mean **** off.. How would you feel if you were doing your JOB, a LEGAL Job, and people were smashing your car, throwing acid at you, etc.. People are against killing Animals.. Lets all go down to your local farm, start throwing **** at them, trying to break the tractors, etc.. Come on.. Do it.. See how long it takes before you have a rifle in your face.

You want them to stop, then you have to get it made illegal. Otherwise you're just trash and I feel no sympathy if they get run over, sink, or anything else..