• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Means based fines, are they right or wrong?  

169 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

tiagosilva29    952

I'm completely in favor of percentage-based penalties.

+Frank B.    7,151

I think it's fair.

DDStriker    19
I think it's unfair to base punishment on how much a person is worth. Just take their license for a while and if that doesn't work put them to work as a street cleaner or something.

agreed just seems like another way to generate income without calling it a tax :p whats even worse is here they issues fines AND take a point off your license doing both seems rather unfair whats the point in having points if you're also going to take money

I think just the points is enough of a deterrent rather then taking away your money

I'm against huge fines like this just because they're wealthy. I completely agree with using a point system like many countries have

+1 don't we have any privacy in regards to how much money we have? or is this based on their worth which may not truly represent actual funds?

the crime is the same the punishment shouldn't change don't think money will deter all drivers? use a point system where everyone is the same and punishment will be fair

Grex    4

I totally think its fair. Whether you fine or take points or both, its supposed to be a deterrent to not do it again. If its considered a slap on the wrist to someone then the whole point was a waste of time.

i_was_here    49

IMO the fine should fit the severity of the crime, not the wealthiness of the person who committed it.

RoomKid    15

Fair because the poor wouldn't need to suffer more, the rich wouldn't have any problem with it. If ever a person is charged based on wealth, they should limit the max charge at least. The main point is to teach a criminal a lesson, not to make him bankrupt. On the other hand, its unfair too.

FYI: Voted unfair.

Minifig    40

According to Forza 3, the record for speeding is 273 in a 75 zone.

I wonder how much they got fined.

Growled    3,880
According to Forza 3, the record for speeding is 273 in a 75 zone.

I wonder how much they got fined.

I doubt if I could afford that fine. :D That's some serious speeding.

antsy    9
Source

Swiss millionaire find a record ?180,000 for speeding.

Is it right or wrong to base fines on wealth? I'm not sure myself. On one hand I can see why it is good, but on the other I can see how unfair it is.

:D Love it yes absolutely right, like he would give a **** about ?200!

I think it's right, and it's looking like this poll is leaning that way, although I can see why wrong voters would have a problem with this, I think it needs to be done right, with minimum (and maybe maximum) thresholds.

Athlonite    129

hmmm a lot of millionaires become millionaires by watching what they spend their money on

and then you have the archetypal millionaire who was born into the money the arogant one who thinks of nothing but himself and just how rich he is money means nothing to them these sorts need terms of disqualification and for repeat offenders terms of imprisonment.

Here in New Zealand we have a fine/demerit points schema you have 100 merit points for every speeding fine you get (except if by camera) you loose merit points when you get to 0 the bailiff calls round and takes your license for 6mths? ? ? ?

Wyrdstorm    11

I can see how it would work, because if he is rich...a small fine wouldnt affect him as much....

but thats unfair because if a skint person commited the same/worse crime they would pay less...even though they might just not have all their money in a bank..or on the "radar" ..

Athlonite    129

I can see how it would work, because if he is rich...a small fine wouldnt affect him as much....

but thats unfair because if a skint person commited the same/worse crime they would pay less...even though they might just not have all their money in a bank..or on the "radar" ..

not if there is a minimum amount for the fine and an % increase for every 10 grand you earn a yr and the courts can gain access to your financial cept maybe if you have all your money in some Cayman Island bank account ? :devil:

-Vivicidal-    4

I'm not a student of politics or anything so I'm prepared to be shot down, but isn't the idea of people earning more for doing work that benefits the economy more completely usless if people get fines based on their income. Then earning more would be of no benefit so would be another reason not to work hard. Now, obviously fines (in the most part) make up a very small part of peoples out goings so that does mean the point above means very little but it does seem like two priniciples to the contrary. I think the solution must be to give punishments that have nothing to do with money, such as community service or driving license suspentions. The non-economic punishements would then completely circumvent this issue.

yakumo    120

I'm not a student of politics or anything so I'm prepared to be shot down, but isn't the idea of people earning more for doing work that benefits the economy more completely usless if people get fines based on their income. Then earning more would be of no benefit so would be another reason not to work hard. Now, obviously fines (in the most part) make up a very small part of peoples out goings so that does mean the point above means very little but it does seem like two priniciples to the contrary. I think the solution must be to give punishments that have nothing to do with money, such as community service or driving license suspentions. The non-economic punishements would then completely circumvent this issue.

The hole in your argument is getting fined is not mandatory.

Don't break the law you don't get fined.

The benefit of earning more is .. earning more, not flaunting the law and putting lives at risk because it costs you peanuts to pay off fines.

If the punishment is to be fines then it absolutely has to be scaled to wealth somehow or it's utterly pointless.

Dc'1    1

I can see why it could be right but I would have to say its not. I suppose it could be discrimination against the rich :o... Richism... lol.

Or maybe just a bit, ?180,000 is just ridiculous.