[Hobby] Astronomy

Anyone else into astronomy? Do you just like reading books about it. Perhaps you own a telescope and do you use it on a regular basis?

I own a GSO 150mm f/5 newton on a GP Vixen mount, bought it 2 years ago. I admit, I could use it more often but unfortunately that's not the case. :D

Rather go to the local observatory where they have better equipment and are more experienced as I am.

I would love to get into astronomy. I had bought a relatively cheap telescope a couple of years ago and only got to use it a few times before it got damaged. I wanted to start with a cheaper telescope until I was sure it was something I would pursue. I now realise that it is something I would like to continue to do and I would eventually like to buy a better grade telescope. I have done some reading on theoretical physics that gets into astronomy in some sense. I've also taken astronomy as an elective at the community college level. My problem is that I love all science and while I start one thing, I easily get pulled into something else. When I had started the astronomy thing and then took a trip out to Yellowstone National Park and of course my interests started to drift towards geology and volcanism. If I spend a good bit of money on a good telescope, it will entice me to use it a little more and invest a little more time in astronomy.

I can see you're interested in many things "at one time". It wouldn't be wise to buy a more expensive telescope hoping you'll pursue this new hobby. I suggest you first go to an observatory or maybe visit a starparty, then you'll get a better perception about it.

• 1 month later...

Meetup with your local Astronomy club, most clubs allow potential members to attend meetings, attending a star party is a good idea on getting information on what would suit you, a club with a telescope library is best. Questions to ask yourself are these:

What kind of objects am i looking to view?

Whats the Geography in my area?

Can i get away from light pollution in a fairly decent time?

• 1 month later...

Yes Astronomy is my hobby. I like reading about it, collecting documentaries, taking pictures of sky, moons and planets, etc. I don't have a telescope right now but I will buy one in future.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been into astronomy since the 3rd grade. I don't own a telescope, but I own a decent pair of binoculars. I try to go stargazing from time to time but living in or near large cities makes it extremely difficult. I'm actually planning on going to northern Ontario (algonquin park) for a few days over the summer to go stargazing. My great grandfather had a decent telescope that is just lying around. I'm going to take that up there with me and hopefully I'll get to see some of the things that make my jaw drop in photos. My biggest desire though, is to just see the milky way in all it's glory. No outside light sources what so ever, just me and the glow of billions of stars.