PS3 and Coaxial input

+Audioboxer    2,876

Question for you guys, my parents took my old PS3 when I got my Slim and I currently have a good sound system, supports 5.1/DTS/PCM over HDMI, the lot.

Now we both want to stream movies but the issue is the way I have PS3 Media Server setup is to stream DTS tracks, as I can hear them obviously. Through a normal TV it just produces static.

Their home theatre setup was an all in one chucked in with the TV, it has HDMI but only for video, no optical port as far as I can see but it does have a Coaxial port and on the System itself it says it does supports DTS, the branding and logo for DTS are there.

So does Coaxial do DTS, and if so, how do I go about taking an optical cable from their PS3 and connecting it to a coaxial input? Some sort of converter for the cable or is their optical to coaxial cables?

Thanks (Y)

Joel    27

Yes, Coax can do anything Toslink can do, though Toslink has more bandwidth capacity. This is not an issue with legacy coding like DD or DTS. However, there is no guarantee that the HTiB will process DTS over the coax input. It may be a builtin-DVD-player only decoding.

What make and model HTiB are we talking about here?

Here's your converter: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?moduleno=29293

+Audioboxer    2,876
Yes, Coax can do anything Toslink can do, though Toslink has more bandwidth capacity. This is not an issue with legacy coding like DD or DTS. However, there is no guarantee that the HTiB will process DTS over the coax input. It may be a builtin-DVD-player only decoding.

What make and model HTiB are we talking about here?

Here's your converter: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?moduleno=29293

This is the system,

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hcs-surround...=TechnicalSpecs

It is an older one but it says it does DTS/Dolby Digital, has the branding all over the box and what not so I think with the converter you supplied it should work.

It's just going to be a huge pain if it doesn't as I'll have to continually tick off the DTS box whenever parents want to watch something in PS3MS. I requested the ability to change audio options from the PS3 here on the main forums for my own wireless 2.0 headphones, but I doubt shagrath cares much - http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5009

All my movies are encoded with DTS and unless played through a source that supports DTS just outputs static.

Thanks Joel.

Brian M.    779

Are you 100% sure it has a coaxial input - according to the specs you linked to:

Audio Line IN (Coaxial) 0
+Audioboxer    2,876
Are you 100% sure it has a coaxial input - according to the specs you linked to:

Just noticed, that away to take a pic with my iphone, 2 secs...

+Audioboxer    2,876

Sorry for quality, iphone is garbage, it does say coaxial but I think it might be to do with radio? :(

IMG_0105.jpg

System definitely says it supports DTS so do those specs... so what's going on? :(

IMG_0110.jpg

Is there anything that could be done with Sony's proprietary Digital Media Port?

bruNo_    24

hmm, i doubt it.

my stereo has the same coaxial input and it's for radio antenna.

here some pics of the coaxial port and the antenna plug.

CFb2J.jpg

6bHwc.jpg

Rudy    457

That's an antenna coax input ;)

+Audioboxer    2,876
That's an antenna coax input ;)

Thanks for clearing it up guys, so we're screwed for now. Need to swap settings around and around each time either of us wants to watch something :p My parents will get a better system soon enough.

How can the system do DTS though? Is it just DTS from discs?

Joel    27
How can the system do DTS though? Is it just DTS from discs?

Most likely.

Regarding your DTS from PS3MS; have you ever tried disabling the DTS and just letting the PCM come to the amp? I had to turn off my DTS for bandwidth considerations, even using a wireless bridge, and I want to know if I'm really hearing a difference, or if I'm reading too much into it?

+Audioboxer    2,876
Most likely.

Regarding your DTS from PS3MS; have you ever tried disabling the DTS and just letting the PCM come to the amp? I had to turn off my DTS for bandwidth considerations, even using a wireless bridge, and I want to know if I'm really hearing a difference, or if I'm reading too much into it?

Nah no point in doing that with the DTS trick, if you let the PCM come to the amp the PS3 is decoding it, doing the DTS trick means the PS3 passes it through untouched and the amp decodes (if you have a decent amp most likely it does a better job than PS3).

Joel    27
Nah no point in doing that with the DTS trick, if you let the PCM come to the amp the PS3 is decoding it, doing the DTS trick means the PS3 passes it through untouched and the amp decodes (if you have a decent amp most likely it does a better job than PS3).

Half the bandwidth, though. I was getting stuttering until I disabled the DTS in the media server. I'll test some more.

+Audioboxer    2,876
Half the bandwidth, though. I was getting stuttering until I disabled the DTS in the media server. I'll test some more.

What?

Letting it decode to PCM at the PC end would be sending more bandwidth through, as a PCM track converted from DTS would be like 4+GB, where as a DTS track is typically around 1-1.5GB.

If you're disabling DTS what you might just be getting is AC3 5.1.

Joel    27
What?

Letting it decode to PCM at the PC end would be sending more bandwidth through, as a PCM track converted from DTS would be like 4+GB, where as a DTS track is typically around 1-1.5GB.

If you're disabling DTS what you might just be getting is AC3 5.1.

With DTS on, ~1.5 Mbs. With DTS off, ~600 Kbs, according to the PS3's status when playing the movie.

+Audioboxer    2,876
With DTS on, ~1.5 Mbs. With DTS off, ~600 Kbs, according to the PS3's status when playing the movie.

Yeah all that's happening is you're downconverting to AC3 5.1.

It's just when you mentioned PCM I thought you were talking about how we first got DTS streaming, which was by converting to PCM. Now PS3MS just tricks the PS3 into thinking it's PCM, no converting done, so it's just passing the DTS track through untouched.