[Advice] Moving ISP Zen to Virgin

Question

Deacon Brown

Hi guys

Ok I have Zen broad band, its been very very good to me and I have enjoyed a fault free 4-5 years.

But its high price and the fact that I have a 50gib limit has made me start looking for other ISP.

I was going to go BT, for some reason I just dont think they will give me what I need.

Been looking into virgin media and I want to go with them.

What type of router do they use?

I have a netgear DG834GT can I use this with virgin or will i have to use a different type of router?

Also is there 50mbps speed reliable?

19 answers to this question

Olemus

Not sure the exact type of routers they use.

No that router won't work.

No the speeds on 50mb aren't reliable (from my experience)

Colin-uk

no you cant use that particular model with virgin as they use cable instead of ADSL. You will need a cable router. I use a WRT54GS.

I have heard that some people have had problems with the 50MB Broadband.

afaik Virgin broadband comes with soft caps and traffic managment, except for the 50mb service i think.

Deacon Brown

Errr afaik?

So they cap anything below 50m?

Colin-uk

afaik = as far as i know :p

they have soft caps for everything below 50mb, they only really send you a letter if you constantly download like 300GB a month though or something silly like that :p I've never recieved an overusage letter from them.

Deacon Brown

oh ok

Well thats ok as I dont think i will be doing anything like that, but it would be nice to just be able to use over 50g with out having to pay ?2 per gig after that.

Might set this up for next month.

Richard Hammond

Virgin have throttling not monthly caps, all packages are "unlimited" but if you download too much at peak times they drop your connection to 25% speed, Its one of the reasons i told them to shove it.

If i were you i would stick with ADSL, i just switched from Virgin cable to O2 ADSL and couldnt be happier. I get up to 20Mb for ?10 a month, it should be ?15 but im an O2 mobile customer so i get a discount, when i signed up i got 2 months free internet and i bought one of them O2 Takeaway Boxes which is an ADSL wifi router that you setup with them for ?15 and they give me ?30 credit on my account, so technically i have 5 months free internet.

Virgin are a pain in the ass id steer well clear after being with them for nearly 10 years (Nynex then Cable and Wireless then NTL then Virgin Media, paying all that money just to change branding when its the same damn company, they could have spent that millions on the cable infrastructure)

n_K

Virgin are scum.

From having them since 1998; I can't possibly recommened anything but to find another ISP other than them.

Many problems, their business service isn't much better, and the support time is guaranteed for 6 hours... When I've been in contact it was more like 2 weeks.

vanx

Another question regarding Virgin cable broadband, if I may: how often do they change an IP address that is assigned to you? I know that they don't provide static IPs to consumers, but ours haven't changed in about a year, so I'm wondering about the frequency of such refresh. My housemate doesn't want to upgrade to 50MB because he needs his IP to be static (and it has been so far, in terms of behaviour) and upgrading to 50MB will lock him into 12 months of contract and he doesn't want to do that in case Virgin change IPs -- if it happens he'll jump ship to another ISP.

Thanks guys! :)

n_K

Depends, it used to change if you turned your modem off and on again, but then they had a locking mechanism which I've found lasts a few months if the pc and modem are on 24/7.

If you want cable 'static' (not true static; DNS and everything else will still show them as dynamic because apparently only *DSL is true static or some crap) get NTL business

Deacon Brown

Hmmm

See I would stay away from O2 as they use etrali as a carrier for the ADSL (or is it talk talk) and eltrali are in my eye crap.

You know that saying, if it aint broke dont try to fix it but Im Broke in the pocket and need a cheaper reliable ISP to game on and do the odd dl as well.

Might do a bot more research and see what is good in the area that I live in, but im not close to the exchange anymore as I have moved so gone is the days of having my max Dl running at 745mps :(

Fourjays

Sorry to hear your moving from Zen. Been with them over 5 years myself. The problem you are going to have with any "unlimited" ISP though is that they aren't really unlimited at all... it's just hidden behind "fair use" policies and caps on what you can and can't do, etc. Those with monthly bandwidth limits are merely being upfront about how much you can use at full speed over the course of a month, rather than chopping you off the second they feel you are "using too much". So I'd read any terms and conditions regards "fair use" on an unlimited ISP very carefully before moving.

PS: Since when has it been ?2/GB? Only ?1 for me when I go over my 25GB. :s

hjf288
Hmmm

See I would stay away from O2 as they use etrali as a carrier for the ADSL (or is it talk talk) and eltrali are in my eye crap.

You know that saying, if it aint broke dont try to fix it but Im Broke in the pocket and need a cheaper reliable ISP to game on and do the odd dl as well.

Might do a bot more research and see what is good in the area that I live in, but im not close to the exchange anymore as I have moved so gone is the days of having my max Dl running at 745mps :(

O2 use BE's ADSL2 network which they bought...

I'd go with O2 if you have an O2 Mobile or BE if you don't...

I've downloaded over 500GB in a month and they've had no issues, they say its only if you consistently take the mickey that they ask you to tone it down..

So they are pretty unlimited, plus they both have better tech support than Virgin (Last experience was Indian script readers)

No you cant use a DG834GT As its a ADSL IGD..

EDIT: If your not in a LLU Exchange, O2 offer ADSL through BT IPstream but that has throttling and isnt recommended

Edited by hjf288
Deacon Brown
Sorry to hear your moving from Zen. Been with them over 5 years myself. The problem you are going to have with any "unlimited" ISP though is that they aren't really unlimited at all... it's just hidden behind "fair use" policies and caps on what you can and can't do, etc. Those with monthly bandwidth limits are merely being upfront about how much you can use at full speed over the course of a month, rather than chopping you off the second they feel you are "using too much". So I'd read any terms and conditions regards "fair use" on an unlimited ISP very carefully before moving.

PS: Since when has it been ?2/GB? Only ?1 for me when I go over my 25GB. :s

Thing is i dont dl that much but I do like to stream from my 360 sometimes and that kills a lot of my usage.

its ?1.49 pg my mistake.

Deacon Brown
O2 use BE's ADSL2 network which they bought...

I'd go with O2 if you have an O2 Mobile or BE if you don't...

I've downloaded over 500GB in a month and they've had no issues, they say its only if you consistently take the mickey that they ask you to tone it down..

So they are pretty unlimited, plus they both have better tech support than Virgin (Last experience was Indian script readers)

No you cant use a DG834GT As its a ADSL IGD..

EDIT: If your not in a LLU Exchange, O2 offer ADSL through BT IPstream but that has throttling and isnt recommended

Hmm my friend has o2 BB and plays his PS3 online and said he has no problems at all.

Ok did a little check and found this out

LLU Exchange

So based on this info it looks like my area has LLU.

But im not sure why I keep getting a really bad Dl speed, Im sure it has something to do with my phone line as when I make a call i get all types of static on the line.

Me thinks a call to BT is needed.

BGM

try looking at the o2 or BE network if you can, they have no caps and are not traffic shaped (yet!) :D

WelshBluebird

Virgin don't throttle the 50Mbps package, so you'd be fine on that.

I'm on the 20Mbps one, and its been fine. No problems at all. Only get the throttling if we download quite a lot, and even then we still get 5Mbps when we are throttled, and thats still faster than what we could get on any ADSL line.

hjf288

If your hearing static and noises on your phone line have you tried replacing the phone or using another phone? If thats still the case - call BT but dont mention broadband :p

-Matt

I would suggest either stay with Zen or move to O2/BE over Virgin Media, I was with Virgin but moved to O2 because kept having problems with slow slow speeds etc...

Ive been on O2 for just over 18 months now. Only once had a problem of a lost connection and O2 had sent me a text message letting me know about the problem before I had even got home from work. Which was very nice of them! The customer support from O2 is very good, far better then Virgin.

Dan~

I've still not got round to emailing Vigin, but for the last 3 years my internet has never gone off. Okay may the odd hour or two for maintenance, but I've never needed to ring them about problems.

Very good for me, would say 99.9% uptime for the last few years. couldn't recommend anymore