Computer feeling rather sluggish

My windows 7 (7600) was feeling rather sluggish last night..i mean it loaded fine, but it would take abit longer to open apps etc, so i decided to reformat to start fresh. The reformat went fine, but it still feels abit sluggish. Feels like programs take longer to execute.

My specs are fine because I've ran Win7 perfectly months ago, so i'm not sure what could be happening here.

Is there any programs I can use to see if my HDD might be failing, or maybe my RAM?

Edit: To explain it a little better, the first time I run applications after ive rebooted, it takes a while for the computer to realise ive double clicked the program and shows up 5-10 seconds later. I can then close and re open the program back up instantly :s

Edit: It's not spyware, i'm careful when it comes to things like that

When it does that, is the HDD busy light "solid" if it is then the HDD is "thrashing" trying to do many things at once. How old is the installation of Win7?

Hmm.. when I reformatted I didn't format my HDD before I installed Win7, so it kept the windows.old file, if you know what i mean..

I just reformatted again but formatted the drive this time and it's working perfectly again. :)

it's amazing how often with an OS that appears to be working fine other than a bit of performance a simple re-install can make everything seem better :p