OPM gives Heavy Rain 9 in world-first review & other reviews

Is that your animated gif? It's fippin funny as hell.

If you're asking if it's me, no :p

I just found it randomly.

I'm really sorry Gavin but your defense about this game being about love and a love between a father and his son is all BS. Actually most ways you defend this game is regurgitated from press releases and developer interviews. The major flaw about bringing up "Love" is that there is no real way to perceive it because it's meaning is unique to each person. It is intrinsic to every unique personality. You can't really say you or Sethos don't fully understand what love is. Because your experiences of love is completely different than anyone else's. All a writer can do is provide an example of love and really hope that the reader/viewer finds connection to that with experiences that happened in their own lives. So just because a game wastes my time following my son around and playing with him for an hour and a half doesn't necessarily create a deep connection with either that character or who I am myself. I just see it as a waste of time and interactivity just for the sake of interactivity. On the other hand, a movie like UP is easily able to portray love and loss to its core between two characters in a matter of only 5 minutes and have the audience feel a major connection to that situation.

Anyway, about the game LOL...

Played the game for about two hours last night with my girlfriend and roommate and her boyfriend watching. I left off just as the corner store part started. I gotta admit, it is better than I expected, and most possibly because I had people watching and they were able to suggest decisions as I played. I was surprised my roommate was able to make the origami bird during the install screen because I put money down that she would fail LOL.

The graphics are truly impressive. Especially the facial rendering during the load screens. And the motion capture animations of the "extras" in the background. Really really fantastic.

I do have a huge problem with the tank controls. But I guess everyone does.

Story wise, it seems pretty compelling so far so I'm pretty intrigued where it's going to go.

My biggest problem, which doesn't make it a good "game" for me, is its implementation of interactivity. But I'll leave that for another time because people will start getting ****y and I'll reserve that opinion until I'm done with the game.

You're 2 hours into an 8-10 hour game and are calling my argument BS without even progressing further? huh.gif

You're 2 hours into an 8-10 hour game and are calling my argument BS without even progressing further? huh.gif

I called your argument BS because it wasn't from your experience, it was from a sales pitch

I called your argument BS because it wasn't from your experience, it was from a sales pitch

Play the whole game and see how you feel, not 2 hours of it and dismiss everything.

Did you even read my post? How did I dismiss it?

I'm really sorry Gavin but your defense about this game being about love and a love between a father and his son is all BS

Dude I don't know why you're wanting to argue with me after playing 2 hours of the game, that isn't anywhere near far enough in for some of the big decisions you have to make in the plot.

I meant this was BS

I guess this is where Cage says it's more emotional for someone who has a child, you're in your 20's, probably as inexperienced with love as me, and neither of us own children.

How can we relate our lives to a fathers love for his son all that well? Also those emotions you list off, they are all connected to love, if you don't have kids there is still a good chance you're going to feel some of them for the father losing his son.

I meant this was BS

Just go play the whole game first Massiveterra before wanting to tear apart any of my inputs to this topic.

Okay you guys disagree about this. We all get it. Let's move on.

Back OT, I just got the game in the mail. I am sick, it is a cloudy rainy day, so lets see. It has the whole afternoon to basically catch my interest.

Edit - There is the US 226 MB Day 1 patch, I think someone asked about that earlier in the thread.

Footballers Pray For Heavy Rain

500x_lyon.jpg

Over the weekend, French football powerhouse Olympique Lyon gave opponents Sochaux a serve, whupping them 4-0. And they did so with a little help from a certain PlayStation 3 exclusive.

The latest craze in football sponsorship in Europe is the "one-off", where instead of sponsoring a team for an entire season, a company or organisation has its name on a jersey for just a single match. We've seen a video game do this before.

But that was a football game. Makes sense. This is for Heavy Rain, a narrative-heavy crime thriller with a side serve of boobs. Doesn't seem like it's as good a fit, but Lyon are French. And Heavy Rain creator David Cage is also French. So it makes more sense than you'd think.

Source: http://kotaku.com/5478939/footballers-pray-for-heavy-rain

The graphics are truly impressive. Especially the facial rendering during the load screens. And the motion capture animations of the "extras" in the background. Really really fantastic

I have found the graphics good, but not impressive. Animations and screen tearing has been a bit bothersome as well. I do love the attention to detail in all the props, inside and outside. I am about 15 minutes past you in the game.

Just experienced a truly beat bug. I was pretty much done with the first crime scene investigation and talking to Blake and was about to leave. Well the game just went into a black screen and I got an insanely loud static. I thought that perhaps it was part of the game and let it sit there (had to put the volume way down as the static was annoying), and after 5 minutes (and pressing absolutely every button and combo of buttons known to man) I realized it indeed was messed up. Weird thing was I was able to go to the menus, etc.. Well I had to quit back to the main menu, and of course when I went back it was about 10 minutes prior to where it froze. Not a huge deal. But what is a really big deal is the character I was with before the freeze, Blake if I recall, he was stuck in a jesus like pose, arms stretched out and not moving at all in the pouring rain. Was pretty funny to be honest. Sure enough the cut scene I had earlier with him, I did not have again, I am guessing cause he was just completely frozen. Should have taken a picture. But that is pretty damn big bug to be honest.

I find myself way more into it then I was with the demo though, no doubt about that.

Not wanting to cause any drama here, but isn't that 2 hours more than you've played?

But I'm right though aren't I? I get "told off" by some around here for judging a game having never played it, and it's frowned upon when my view is "negative". But if it's positive then it's completely fine? Bit of a cop out there man and you know it.

DL can PM/warn me if there is a problem here, but maybe you should be the one waiting to play the game before you sing high praise for it. Maybe you'll totally hate it and not want to play more than 2 hours?

Just saying is all....

Also paying extra for an origami figure? lol, won't let that one down after your past SE/LE comments :p

But I'm right though aren't I? I get "told off" by some around here for judging a game having never played it, and it's frowned upon when my view is "negative". But if it's positive then it's completely fine? Bit of a cop out there man and you know it.

DL can PM/warn me if there is a problem here, but maybe you should be the one waiting to play the game before you sing high praise for it. Maybe you'll totally hate it and not want to play more than 2 hours?

Just saying is all....

Also paying extra for an origami figure? lol, won't let that one down after your past SE/LE comments :p

I'll just await Massiveterra's final thoughts, I've read plenty of other people's final thoughts on the game (spoiler free), DL said leave it and it's being left there. I also get the first DLC free, have an HMV gift card and are trading in MW2, so I'll play like ?15 or something.

I know what DL said, he told you both off for going back and fourth pretty much bickering on "play more" & "you're regurgitating PR".

I'm not doing that? Just expressing opinion as always. Besides, not looking for drama, just a very home truth that has to be said about this place.

And fair enough you are getting a deal on the game from HMV, but that's not everyone's case. Paying extra for a piece of card? They'd be lucky if it even came as far away as a backstreet in China. Probably recycled newspaper from last week's Metro ;) :p

Anywho, said what needed to be said.