OPM gives Heavy Rain 9 in world-first review & other reviews

Hedon

It's available for PAL. Go with a European account and you are in like flynn.

Massiveterra

So I downloaded the 2 GB demo last night. I thought the demo is pretty underwhelming, although I know that they are trying hard not to give away much of the story in demos and trailers because they don't want to spoil anything, but I must say that the demo isn't very compelling.

I know this is a story driven game, and the story is supposed to be real compelling with lots of twists and well developed characters, but in the end it really felt more like an interactive movie rather than a "game." And I guess that's the real value in it...to shape the plot based on your decisions. But in the end, to me, it really felt like downtime in an RPG where you explore a town.

I think the parts I got frustrated most in were the quicktime events with the hooker's "client" and trying to climb up and down the hill. I wish I could have just pushed "up" to climb up a hill. I think I was just frustrated that he beat the **** out of me because I ended up hitting the wrong buttons by accident. The hill part was probably the worst part for me. Mostly because I felt frustrated, but not in a challenging or "gamey" way because it didn't feel rewarding when I made it to the top or bottom

And I really don't get the "point-and-click adventure game" comparison because the mechanics and decision-making process works completely different for a point and click game.

+Audioboxer

And I really don't get the "point-and-click adventure game" comparison because the mechanics and decision-making process works completely different for a point and click game.

Evolution of point and click, such as there's lots of small details in the environment you can click/interact with that just give a response, others will illicit different responses from people some minor/some major. We've already seen people above like myself leaving the crime scene with less evidence than others, I assume reprecursions of that to follow.

The choices you make are similar to branching paths in a point and click adventure, however in a point and click adventure usually only one or two choices will progress you, there is no game over scenario in HR, make any choice you want and something will happen and you'll carry on.

If you aren't a person for story games, avoid this, yes there will be action/death/children being killed/heavy handed adult topics, but if you're not up for trying a different experience best to stick to ME2 or something.

Massiveterra

I already know the point of the game, as well as the selling points in its one sheet, which I thought was pretty specific in my post. That was just how I felt about it after playing the demo. I have no doubt that it will have a compelling story, I just didn't enjoy the mechanics that's all. And I love different games. Some games are just received well for some people and not for others. And I guess the mechanics aren't for me.

I do rent most games though rather than buy, so I hardly ever feel disappointed by a game or ever regret a purchase, so I do see myself attempting to complete it. Or maybe I should just stick with Mass Effect 2 because I'm not into story-based games.

peacemf

i'd wait for a video review to honest, gametrailers should hopefully have one soon, but remember "pinch of salt!" :)

+Audioboxer

i'd wait for a video review to honest, gametrailers should hopefully have one soon, but remember "pinch of salt!" :)

Embargoes for web reviews lift on Thurs 11th, doesn't mean they'll all hit then but from then websites will be free to post.

+Audioboxer

Just played the demo again was nasty to the women so she didn't open up much and I got the crap beat out of me lol. Then on the crime scene I got all the clues and Jayden makes a clear reference in-game to blood on body matching fence blood I didn't get before. Really going to enjoy playing through this in different ways pretty hyped now :)

+Audioboxer

Another french review, as I said US/EU embargo lifts tomorrow

Micromania - 5/5

NextGN - 99/100

Last one is english but never heard of the site, I'd beware.

+Audioboxer

For those that don't mind watching some more, 12 mins of new Jayden footage, it's from an earlyish build but still new footage

Sethos

L2Edit Gavin-Teh-Nublet

+Audioboxer

L2Edit Gavin-Teh-Nublet

Post count +1 and people like seeing things bumped again, they know that = more new content ;)

Sethos

Post count +1 and people like seeing things bumped again, they know that = more new content ;)

Not after 7 minutes you bum >.>

OT: Move character now.

Hedon

Holy double + post nightmare!

sn00pie

I feel stupid...I can't find the demo anywhere. I have UK, JPN, US, Canada, PSN accounts.

Hedon

Did you go to the linked websites in this thread and obtain your code to download it? It's not visible on the PS Store.

Icarus ^i^

Release the game already :) can't wait to go through the story.. avoiding any spoilers until then

Sethos

Release the game already :) can't wait to go through the story.. avoiding any spoilers until then

The butler is the origami killer.

Spookie
Ultimately, Heavy Rain is an experiment that both succeeded and failed, when it could easily have been a total success if the brains behind it weren't trying so hard to be smart, and cared more about providing a sensible plot as opposed to a shocking one. As a game, Heavy Rain is pretty good for the most part. Heavy Rain is just damn lucky it isn't the movie that it wishes so badly to be.

Not sure if it's been posted but here have some drama. :p

Destructoid

The fact that the ending is so stupid doesn't take away from the fun I had, but likewise, the fun I had doesn't make up for the dull and frustrating moments where I was moving the right analog stick incredibly slowly so that my character could apply mascara without jabbing herself in the eye.

Putting on mascara? SOUNDS F***ING AWESOME BRB BUYING A PS3. ;)

Hedon

Now THAT is realism. Take that Arma II and Flashpoint!

• Like 1
Massiveterra

IGN gave the game a 9.0, but I trust both IGN and Destructoid reviews. I'm curious to see what Gametrailers has to say because they're pretty balanced in their reviews.

As I mentioned in an older post, the mechanics of the game was by far the lowest part of the demo for me. Some of the actions seemed very trivial, and things like clicking L1 and R1 back and forth in unison to the pattern on the screen felt very frustrating with no sense of accomplishment after I did it successfully. It just felt like they put them there for the sake of putting them there.

I'm going to remain optimistic about the game, but luckily this game will be a rental for me.

Corris

Putting on mascara? SOUNDS F***ING AWESOME BRB BUYING A PS3. ;)

Does he mention that later on in that scene with the mascara you end up dancing half nude.

If putting mascara on carefully in games made them get their boobs out, i know I'd be doing it more often, lol.

Sethos

Putting on mascara :omg: HOLY SHEEEEEEIIIIITTTTT!!!!

Hedon
2679_mascara-girl.gif
Massiveterra

Damn this quote is pretty rough...from destructoid's review

Of course, these scenes are fantastic until you learn one thing -- very rarely does your input matter. If Heavy Rain does one thing amazingly well, it's create an illusion of urgency, and a feeling that your choices matter to the game. Sadly, however, that's what the vast majority of them are -- illusions and feelings. You are made to believe that any one of your four characters could die at any moment, but that's not true. There are many sections that, no matter how hard you try and fail them, will always be completed successfully. Ethan, for example, must undergo a number of "trials" in order to save his son. They are dangerous and life-threatening and on the first play, you might believe Ethan is in danger. He is not. He cannot fail many of these sections. In fact, most of the time, you can simply put your controller on the floor and the game will play itself for you. In that regard, Quantic Dream most certainly created a movie experience.

But then again, this is from Jim Sterling

Sethos

After reading that quote I lost most of my interest for the game, I don't need to watch a movie while holding a controller.

That was the only real selling point of the game for me, an interactive movie you are part of.