OPM gives Heavy Rain 9 in world-first review & other reviews

+Audioboxer

For me, movement errors, a couple dull leads and some weird voices would be the least of my concern. If that is the only hates from Kotaku, it's a great review.

Speaking of voices...I noticed in the demo that sometimes the voice didn't move with the lips. Nothing game breaking, but noticed it at first.

I think the biggest issue with the voices is it's not a linear game, take UC2 for example, outstanding voice acting but it's all acted out at once, or in a singular fashion.

Heavy Rain has so many branching paths actors probably did different parts of the scripts at different times, but it just so happens those parts of the scripts can come together based upon your choices, so tones and voices can sometimes jar a bit together as well. As for the lip syncing the game was probably developed with French in mind first as David Cage is French and so is the studio.

The game has been fully localized into 10 languages it is I think, by voice, so that must of taken a chunk of their budget.

Hedon
As for the lip syncing the game was probably developed with French in mind first as David Cage is French and so is the studio. The game has been fully localized into 10 languages it is I think, by voice, so that must of taken a chunk of their budget.

If that is the case, then they done did good.

+Audioboxer

Very graphic scene leaked, again, not watching myself

Also don't know if I posted it but the IGN video review is here - http://uk.ps3.ign.co...d=1g2wv944x6b9d

:edit Damn I cracked, that was intense, I know of that scene existing though as it was in an official trailer. I would've gone with the

knife in the kitchen

though, not the

saw

+Audioboxer

Que?

Well except you Sethos, you just wait to see what games I like, then automatically hate them :p

Also, yay,

Heavy Rain PS3 ranks No. 1 at Amazon

Sony Corp.'s Heavy Rain for the Playstation 3 ranked as a top-selling product in Amazon.com on strong demand and buzz for the title.This week, Heavy Rain held the No. 1 rank in Amazon's Video Games division. It held a rank in the top 10 earlier in the week.

Sony this week released the Heavy Rain demo to the Playstation Network. The Heavy Rain demo includes two full chapters from the final game with characters Norman Jayden, an FBI profiler, and Scott Shelby, a private investigator.

Heavy Rain is an interactive thriller that will include four characters and a wealth of choices that determine the fate of each.

It holds a pre-sale price of $55.96.

Retailer Amazon.com is offering the Heavy Rain Chronicles: Chapter 1 - The Taxidermist pre-order bonus with each advanced purchase.

The title will be released on Feb. 23 to U.S. retail.

Sony in Sept. 2009 price cut the PS3 to $299.99 in the introduction of a new Slim model.

Last Nov., the company released the PS3 250GB SKU at $349.99.

Source: http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=9552

SimplySchizo

Played the demo today. Wish it were a tiny bit longer. Was never into these type of games but was intrigued with HR.

Sethos

EDIT: Yeah, edit your post why don't you :p

I hope a fairy comes along and gives me the game for free, it looks like a game I'd love to play but I swore to myself I'd never buy a PS3 game again.

SimplySchizo

hehe, was a fairly fast edit.;) I didnt realize the review had already been posted.

Thing that annoyed me a bit in the demo, was the camera switch and character direction reorientation followed. Kills the movie-like atmosphere when character is doing the funky-chicken trying to walk in the right direction. :laugh: They should implement someone saying something like 'wtf is wrong with that guy?' ...when you do it.which can be quite often.

+Audioboxer

I hope a fairy comes along and gives me the game for free, it looks like a game I'd love to play but I swore to myself I'd never buy a PS3 game again.

/fail

As a gamer you should be buying any game on any platform that interests you silly boy :rofl:

Sethos

/fail

As a gamer you should be buying any game on any platform that interests you silly boy :rofl:

And as a human being I should learn from my mistakes, I've burnt my fingers one too many times buying silly-expensive games for that console

based on rave reviews and great feedback only to end up with a huge disappointment and money out of pocket.

So I'm just waiting for some random competition on a Danish website or something like that :p

Hedon

I was naughty today. I watched that sex scene. Hubba hubba! cool.gifblush.gifwhistle.gif Need MORE sex scenes :)

+Audioboxer

Interesting stuff about the creator

Tycho seems to find Cage's dev blog pretty interesting:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2010/2/12/

Quote:

I don't place much stock in "official blogs," as their very nature involves strictures that virtually guarantee nothing interesting can happen there. Also, it can be difficult to discern who exactly is "speaking" to you. That's what makes David Cage's Heavy Rain blog over at IGN so incredible. This **** didn't come from the marketing department, I'll tell you that much. This guy is a ****ing wreck - he's barely making it through the day. The clutch of the creative process, as experienced by Cage, is indistinguishable from a mental illness. Heavy Rain is a symptom of his condition, and he is expelling it from his mind piece by piece in an effort to save his own life.

There's simply no question that the man is a father. I've never seen anything like the gameplay early on in this video, let alone this terrifying thing. Brenna couldn't finish watching the second one, and this is a woman who rolls her eyes at virtually the entire medium. This was something she could not disregard, as she can so often, because it dares to traffic in such universal themes.

Link to Cage's blog.

http://blogs.ign.com/SCE_HeavyRain/

User comment

I have spoken with David multiple times and his english is far from perfect.

He is a very, very, very kind and nice man, but, unfortunately, as Tycho puts it, a total wreck. He literally does not have finger nails on some of his fingers from chewing on them so much. Each time I saw him he looked worse and worse... that why I was kinda hoping Heavy Rain would turn out better than it did. I'm mostly just sad for David.

I think HR has turned out better than that, received well critically, now it's just to see how the sales go...

soniqstylz

Just realized that Ethan may be a reference to Nathan... Drake. The everyman, dark haired, stubble, even the "front-tuck".

LingeringSoul

Ars Technica review up: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/02/hug-your-kids-ars-reviews-heavy-rain.ars/

Don't be put off by the verdict. The text of the review is all quite positive, and the only reason he gave the verdict a "Rent" is because this is really a game that some will enjoy and some will not.

I'm really on the fence with this one. I'd really like to "vote with my dollars" so to speak and buy this one just to encourage some more risk-taking in the industry, but the giant quick-time events for mundane scenarios are something that I'm not sure about (no amount of rationalization is going to make me enjoy applying mascara on my character ;)).

+Audioboxer
Heavy Rain PS3 Motion Controller Announcement Coming "Soon"?

PS3 exclusive Heavy Rain won't be out until February 23, but there could be an announcement regarding the game's controls in the very near future. "If you are talking about Motion Control, this is something we initially considered for Heavy Rain," Quantic Dream boss David Cage told website Dagbladet. "The very first version of the game design was based on motion control, but it was not feasible at the time. But all the controls of the final version of Heavy Rain is still based on motion."

The game currently uses PS3 DualShock SIXAXIS controls to do things like shake a carton of orange juice. But will the PS3 exclusive title make use of Sony's new motion controls?

"I have a lot of interest in Sony's motion device and there is a good chance that we announce something about it in the coming weeks," Cage added.

The new Sony motion control was scheduled for this spring, but has since be pushed back until later this year.

Source: http://kotaku.com/5471915/heavy-rain-ps3-motion-controller-announcement-coming-soon

Razorwing

I can't wait for this!

+Audioboxer
Remedy: Heavy Rain "seems like a wonderful game"

Remedy MD Matias Myllyrinne has stated that Heavy Rain "seems like a wonderful game" in an interview with Joystiq.

The Remedy boss, speaking at X10, went on to explain that he hasn't had the chance to actually play Heavy Rain, but does understand the comparison between it and his own Alan Wake."I think the media and gamers out there are looking at, probably, that these are on alternative platforms, both are games that are looking for story, so I think that's kind of the logical comparison there" he continued.

Alan Wake is out on Xbox 360 on May 18th 2010 in the US, and May 21st in the UK and Europe.

Source: http://www.gamerzines.com/xbox-360/news/remedy-heavy-rain-wonderful.html

Vortex566

I have finally got to play the demo. This is SeVeN the video game I can not wait until the 26th.

+Audioboxer
http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/70...-Breaking.html

Adam Sessler's new soapbox. He really loves Heavy Rain.

Even MSN 5/5 :p

http://tech.uk.msn.com/gaming/articl...ntid=152182011

How good is it? How different is it? While reviewing it, several non-gamers saw sections of it and became so hooked that by the final d?nouement, there was a crowd of people watching or wanting to know what happened. That has never happened with Halo or Grand Theft Auto or even Uncharted 2, no matter how pretty, absorbing and well-scripted those games were.

Perhaps even more telling, this is a game where a genuinely gripping choice is to sit and observe your son watching TV - a decision with enough moral complexity and delicate emotion that it can put tears on your face.

Hedon

I like Adam's reviews. He is very direct, and uses common language and doesn't inject too much tech babble into his reviews.

+Audioboxer

I like Adam's reviews. He is very direct, and uses common language and doesn't inject too much tech babble into his reviews.

Just about to watch it myself, posted those links just before the football came on.

+Audioboxer

Damn this is out in Japan tomorrow :(

+Audioboxer

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

img_048461ae2.jpg

img_04863038c.jpg

17022010055cae1c.jpg

By the way UK classification must of been changed to 18, originally thought to be 15.