OPM gives Heavy Rain 9 in world-first review & other reviews

Brad.

DO WAAAAAAAAAANT.

edit: US retail game was also sent to people who had the review copy:

IMG_0342-400x300.jpg

IMG_0340-400x300.jpg

Much prefer the EU box art.

Vortex566

The wait for this is killing me! The EU box art is by far the best out of the three regions. I really hope that sales for this game will do it justice. I somehow doubt this in a gaming world filled with FPS and sport games.

rajputwarrior

IGN and ars are the reviews i usually look at so I think imma just rent it for a couple of days and get my fun out of it. 10 hour gameplay and maybe 2-3 playthroughs doesn't really justify a purchase for me. And who knows if i would play it twice considering what is coming out in march...

+Audioboxer

IGN and ars are the reviews i usually look at so I think imma just rent it for a couple of days and get my fun out of it. 10 hour gameplay and maybe 2-3 playthroughs doesn't really justify a purchase for me. And who knows if i would play it twice considering what is coming out in march...

BUY IT.

People like you kill projects like this by renting :p

Rent things like COD :hmmm:

To be honest do what you want, but I'm definitely buying this to support unique projects in our industry.

+Audioboxer

Also everyone watch out for spoilers, usual boards have idiots ruining the complete game, but just in case you find yourself reading comments about Heavy Rain on any game site just now, I would stay well clear.

Posting major spoilers on NW before release for the purpose of ruining things for people is sure to get you a ban, if not permanent, for a nice long time.

Hedon

I thought this was pretty cool. They talk about the experience of "User Tests" behind two way mirrors. They listen and watch people interact with the game, the controls and the story.

User Tests are the most sophisticated form of torture. It consists of shutting yourself up behind a two-way mirror and observing people play your game in groups of ten throughout the day. You see them not understanding anything, doing the first thing that comes into their heads, getting stuck for twenty minutes on actions that should take one. We see them not reading the instruction, not remembering what they did in the last scene, doing everything except what they're supposed to do. So we scream behind the soundproofed glass, we insult them, curse them, foaming at the mouth, we shrivel up, we beg to be released.

And as if that wasn't enough, then we listen to them talking about the game, still hiding behind a two-way mirror (real FBI-style). And we hear all sorts of things and nothing in particular, generous compliments, sound criticism, players who are affected by the game and those who got the wrong game, the ones who thought for ten scenes that they controlled only one character, the ones who missed all the sequences but who found the game easy, those who stuck to the story and the characters, those who wanted Ethan to have a gun. You really hear all sorts of stuff in this sort of test. I suppose that's the object of the exercise. And it's not easy to know what to think about it all, between the things that really don't work and the rest.

Overall, positive feedback for the story, the characters, the interface and the action sequences. I'll settle for that. It's not bad at all.

Full Story at this Link.

+Audioboxer

So many Americans have this game now, I'd check your stores, so many people posting pics on GAF.

But again beware, some are saying one word, can ruin the whole game :laugh:

Sethos

So many Americans have this game now, I'd check your stores, so many people posting pics on GAF.

But again beware, some are saying one word, can ruin the whole game :laugh:

"Butler"

Hedon

Col. Mustard?

+Audioboxer
Yes, the real-life Madison Paige is hot

screenshot_226949.jpg

Did you know Heavy Rain's voice actors gave not just their vocals but also their likenesses to the game? You do now, and look at what a bloody good job Quantic Dream did of it...

PS Blog man Jem Alexander posted photos of the actors, and Ars Technica took the time to MS Paint-them next to their virtual recreations.

Ethan Mars and Norman Jayden look pretty similar, but just look at Scott Shelby. Spitting image. And yes, Madison Paige actor Jacqui Ainsley is fit-as-you-like. We wonder if she did the mo-cap for the shower scene...

Source: http://www.computera...e.php?id=235426

Rest of actors did as well, can see them at link.

Hedon

Sorry, but this is more like it...much better pic of Jacqui:

Jacqui-Ainsley-Madison-Paige-Heavy-Rain-Banner.jpg

+Audioboxer

360 Fanboy: Heavy Rain is the Reason to Buy a PS3

Conclusion

As the title would suggest the developers created some of the most realistic looking rain ever seen in a video game and the overall realistic feel that HR has helps the increase the in-game drama. For the past couple days since I started my first play-through of Heavy Rain I have not been able to put the Playstation 3 exclusive down, it reminded me so much of a well-written novel, in so many different ways. Thankfully Xbox 360 owners have Alan Wake to look forward to in a few months but until then if you have an opportunity or know of somewhere to borrow a PS3 Heavy Rain is a game you must play. I cannot recommend the title more, especially for those gamers who are into legal dramas and crime-scene television shows. Thankfully for me it?s also a game that can be played multiple times and multiple different ways, as I have a feeling my next time through Heavy Rain will be totally different, yet just as enjoyable, as the first. I can only hope Alan Wake has what it takes to do what Quantic Dream did for me with Heavy Rain, only then will all gamers be able to experience something so memorable in gaming form. Simply put Heavy Rain is the single best Playstation 3 game that I have played to date and had this been an official review it would be tying Mass Effect 2 for the highest PlanetXbox360.com score - a perfect 10 out of 10.

Source: http://www.planetxbox360.com/article_9714/360_Fanboy_Heavy_Rain_is_the_Reason_to_Buy_a_PS3

Sethos

Sorry, but this is more like it...much better pic of Jacqui:

Jacqui-Ainsley-Madison-Paige-Heavy-Rain-Banner.jpg

They look nothing alike, what the hell :laugh:

And the girl from the game isn't even hot, she looks like a dentist.

+Anarkii

This game comes out on the 23rd here. Allready have it preordered too :)

+Audioboxer

Can't wait to play this, I'll have my impressions on twitter of FB if you follow me :)

Hedon

They look nothing alike, what the hell :laugh: And the girl from the game isn't even hot, she looks like a dentist.

More like a butch dentist :). I would probably still bang her after a couple beers though unsure.gif

Pablo2008jedi

Image above NSFW!!!!! Please amend :)

soniqstylz

Image above NSFW!!!!! Please amend :)

Where do you work, a monastary?

Sethos

:laugh:

soniqstylz

"Butler"

"Umbrella"

Pablo2008jedi

lol, no but its still inappropriate for my work place :D

Brad.

I am surprised that a lot of people have the retail game already. Wonder where they got it :/ I really want to get it, now.

Osiris

So can someone point me to an article or trailer for this game that is meant to capture or captivate me?

I just dont get all the hype, ive viewed the E3 trailer and read through some posts on this and okay it sounds like an interesting story but theres plenty of games with good stories out there, why is this getting so much attention?

Sethos

So can someone point me to an article or trailer for this game that is meant to capture or captivate me?

I just dont get all the hype, ive viewed the E3 trailer and read through some posts on this and okay it sounds like an interesting story but theres plenty of games with good stories out there, why is this getting so much attention?

Because it does something few other games do; try something new - It's not your run of the mill pew-pew arcade shooter.

So if you can't see the exciting in an interactive movie, a cinematic experience you can immerse yourself in, then avoid it.