"This copy of Windows is not genuine" [SOLVED]

This is strange - I'm running Windows 7 64-bit which is definitely legit since it came with my Alienware PC.

Yesterday I noticed the corner of my desktop said "This copy of Windows is not genuine" which panicked me quite a bit - I was actually in the process of downloading some Windows Updates. They installed fine so I rebooted and noticed the message was still there. I right-clicked on My Computer icon and checked authenticity in the "Windows Activiation" bit and it looked ok. That's when I noticed that the text stating my copy was not genuine had disappeared.

mmub7o.jpg

I don't have a screenshot as yet of the "not genuine" bit because it disappears when I go to Properties of My Computer.

Anyway, does anyone know why this would happen? Should I contact Microsoft?

Edited by WastedJoker

Is this a copy of Win7 that came with your PC, or did you buy win7 separately?

Was the first sentence of the first post too hard to read for you?

I've used http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.aspx?displaylang=en but no obvious message appears to say it's validated or not - I'm pretty sure I'm allowing ActiveX to be run.

I checked Office Validation and my office license gives a definite result - it says Validation Success.

Windows Validation shows this page:

2l9gznt.jpg

Is that telling me it is validated or not? :/

Yesterday I tried to partition a drive, it failed and on boot asked me to activate windows.

I was sitting on the sofa so didn't bother getting up, then boot finished and nothing, still says genuine in properties and not asked me yet to reactivate.

I even went into activating windows 7 pro x64 again and it said ''already activated''.

All I can say is ''how queer''.

This happened to me right after i installed Office, it made me panic a bit as well, allthough i knew it was legit as i have the box to prove it. Re-booted and it wen`t, go figure :iiam:

Was it bottom left with the version number?

Doh i can`t tell my right from left, it was the right side, my apologies :blush:

Edited by Riggers

I just followed the instructions here and the results say Genuine in nice green font.

This happened to me right after i installed Office, it made me panic a bit as well, allthough i knew it was legit as i have the box to prove it. Re-booted and it wen`t, go figure :iiam:

Was it bottom left with the version number?

Bottom right with the version number for me.

That's just MS up to it's old tricks again.

Punish the legit people while pirates get away with it all.

Yes because now he has no entitlements such as Windows Update, etc even though he purchased legitimately!

Oh wait, he does. So, your point is moot.

I've used http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.aspx?displaylang=en but no obvious message appears to say it's validated or not - I'm pretty sure I'm allowing ActiveX to be run.

I checked Office Validation and my office license gives a definite result - it says Validation Success.

Windows Validation shows this page:

2l9gznt.jpg

Is that telling me it is validated or not? :/

If the activation had gotten borked up, you'd get a message in System properties telling you that you had 3 days to activate. Probably just a temporary glitch while it verified the OEM activation.

da00: way to be a douche. (Y)

Weird, a friend of mine got the same problem with his copy of windows from msdnaa. It might be a bug, who knows. He had to reinstall his windows in the end.

Was he forced to reinstall and did he do that as an effort to get rid of the glitch?

I don't really want to reinstall - I've got everything setup just nice!

Was he forced to reinstall and did he do that as an effort to get rid of the glitch?

The first picture you posted shows that your system is activated, so I wouldn't worry about it until it actually prompts you.

I've had Windows 7 do that at times, but just as with the original poster, as soon as I go to system properties, it fixes itself. Probably a glitch that hopefully will get ironed out with SP1.

In his case,his windows behaved worse then that. It asked him to activate his windows everyone time he booted his windows. But I guess you're fine as long as you don't get any other remminders and weird stuff. Better wait and not reinstall windows. That's your last option :).

I had exactly the same happen to me. Got hold of Microsoft and talked for hours about it.Everything we tried didn't work after a couple of days it just went away all by itself. Now that was weird.

Is it just me or has the forum suddenly gone really slow?

Sorry for OT

Yeah, it was almost dead for a few minutes, and I even got a database error message.