"This copy of Windows is not genuine" [SOLVED]

FFS

6tmkxz.jpg

Looks like it is time to give Alienware a call :(. That sucks!

I always wonder what the possibility of someone one out there generating your exact Product Key with some key generator, and then releasing that key out in the wild. At some point MS stops activating that key, and you are treated as a common theft.

Looks like it is time to give Alienware a call :(. That sucks!

I always wonder what the possibility of someone one out there generating your exact Product Key with some key generator, and then releasing that key out in the wild. At some point MS stops activating that key, and you are treated as a common theft.

I've wondered about that too. I'm sure it's got to happen, but what are the odds?

@The OP, I hope you can get this straightened out. I agree that you should probably contact Microsoft... Alienware isn't involved in activation, so I'm not sure they could help you with this...

Repair install, then reactivate. Something is wonky there.

^

It looks like something is wrong with your installation :/ I would repair the installation, but if that doesn't correct the problem, do a clean install. If that doesn't work, you will definitely need to get Alienware to fix the problem for you..

My laptop often gets this, I usually have to reactivate to get it solved, I had to call to get it activated yesterday as it wouldn't activate normally over the internet.

Software Protection service was set to manual rather than the default of Automatic (Delayed Start) so I've corrected that - will wait to see if that was at fault.

That is a bug in win7 and Microsoft has a fix for it

Windows 7 displays "Windows is not Genuine" with an error code of 0x80070005 : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2008385

I'm able to run slmgr.vbs /dlv without error......and Network Service has full permissions to HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20

Update:

It seems either setting Software Protection service to Automatic (Delayed Start) or running Win Key + "activation" has resolved the issue.

Here is MS response to my query - note the lack of attention to detail by the responder :angry:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email about Windows? 7.

I am sorry to hear that you receive an alert that says Windows on your computer is not genuine.

I would like to inform you that Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program has been launched by us as part of our continued effort to raise awareness of counterfeit software and to create a better experience for users of genuine Windows software. I suggest you to follow the onscreen prompts which will take you to a web site that will outline your options.

Please visit the following web link and click on ?Validate Windows?;

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.a...splaylang=en-gb

If your validation is not successful and you feel that you have a genuine copy of Windows XP, please contact one of our WGA experts on 0844 800 2400 and choose option 0. The lines are open from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays.

Many thanks for contacting us.

Kind regards,

SHAREEN SAWANT

Customer Service Professional |Microsoft Customer Services

Update:

Here is MS response to my query - note the lack of attention to detail by the responder :angry:

If your validation is not successful and you feel that you have a genuine copy of Windows XP, please contact one of our WGA experts on 0844 800 2400 and choose option 0. The lines are open from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays.

What.....??! :wacko:

It's not an automated reply as such, it's just a template they've saved previously and they've just stuck it in the email.

Lazy person responded to your query. I've worked with people like that before.

Yesterday I tried to partition a drive, it failed and on boot asked me to activate windows.

I was sitting on the sofa so didn't bother getting up, then boot finished and nothing, still says genuine in properties and not asked me yet to reactivate.

I even went into activating windows 7 pro x64 again and it said ''already activated''.

All I can say is ''how queer''.

Weird, a friend of mine got the same problem with his copy of windows from msdnaa. It might be a bug, who knows. He had to reinstall his windows in the end.

Hmm. Same thing happened here only today with my installation from msdnaa. Everything legit thanks to my Uni. Was shocked to see the message.

Here's my tuppence worth.

TechNet copy of Win 7 U x86 RTM boots to a blank screen with "This copy of Windows is not genuine". The only change I can think of is that I added a RAID Array on the system. However I'm dual booting to W 7 U x64 and that has no problem. Yet!

I've searched various forums but can't find a similar issue. All I can do on the blank screen (light blue) is run Ctrl Alt Delete to get a shutdown icon.

The x86 was working fine until yesterday.