HDTV Restarting Randomly

Redestium    1

I recently bought a 52 inch Sony Bravia Z series HDTV a month ago, and about a week ago I started to notice an unusual behavior. While playing my PS3 (using HDMI) all of a sudden after hours of play the sound would cut out and about 10 seconds after that the TV would turn off and then back on--all the while the game is still running and playable. It's really hard to reproduce but I've only noticed it happen while playing my PS3, my Satellite DVR (HDMI) and Wii (component) run fine and seemingly don't cause this problem.

I have had this happen 3 times and I can't find the cause. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced anything like this.

Eric    1,605

Check Sony's support site for a firmware update for your TV. They can be put on a USB stick and flashed via a service port. Mine had this problem as well with HDMI connections from certain devices...

Redestium    1
Check Sony's support site for a firmware update for your TV. They can be put on a USB stick and flashed via a service port. Mine had this problem as well with HDMI connections from certain devices...

Yeah, I checked through the TVs update system and it downloaded and installed the latest firmware. In fact this problem started to happen soon after I updated, hmm.

You said you had a similar problem, can you elaborate?

jerzdawg    338

Have you tried switching the PS3 to a different HDMI port (perhaps the one that the cable box is on). This may help see if its the HDMI port or the PS3 causing the issue

giantpotato    296

This happened to my LG plasma. I did some research and it looks like the power board might be faulty, but I'm not 100% sure. I still haven't fixed the problem. It's about 3 years old and out of warranty.

HSoft    400

I've had problem with the sound cutting out on my Samsung 47" when trying to watch a video in my PS3.

Seems the common demoninator in all this is the PS3 connected using HDMI.

carmatic    54

oh no... hopefully you guys wont end up the same as that guy who had his HDMI connector burn up between his PS3 and his HDTV ...

Owen W    53

I'd do a warranty claim, it's not worth not doing it while it's still in warranty. Cause once it runs out it'll cost a whole lot to fix.

Andrew Lyle    341

I had a problem with the sound fading out on my LG LCD 37", it would randomly slowly dim, like it was going into sleep mode, and needed a "main circuit board" replaced :/