Neowin forums maintenance testing in 3 hours time

Shouldn't IPB3 actually run better as IPB2?

If one thing history thought us, progress isn't necessarily equal to improvement. IPB3 a case in point i'd say.

Not the design as such, I love the design, i love the layout, it's very neat and pleasing to the eye. Kudo's for the developers.

Just the platform, the innovation it actually adds isn't that big a leap. And some innovations, threaded comments for example, i consider to be a step backwards.

If one could just put the design on the old platform it'd be much more advantageous imho.

If one thing history thought us, progress isn't necessarily equal to improvement. IPB3 a case in point i'd say.

Not the design as such, I love the design, i love the layout, it's very neat and pleasing to the eye. Kudo's for the developers.

Just the platform, the innovation it actually adds isn't that big a leap. And some innovations, threaded comments for example, i consider to be a step backwards.

If one could just put the design on the old platform it'd be much more advantageous imho.

I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by 'threaded comments'? I didn't notice much of a difference in how the comments or posts were laid out in IPB 3.

I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by 'threaded comments'? I didn't notice much of a difference in how the comments or posts were laid out in IPB 3.

Wait, i'll check on the testsite

The database is down. But i mean were replies to forumposts get bundled together rather then it just gets put at the end of the thread.

wewt glad to hear it is all working well for IPB3 :) Told ya guys not to give up and really happy to see you all didn't. Can't wait for the new forums and Atlas to show up again :)

Great news, bug I doubt that IPB 3 can perform as well as IPB 2. Maybe you guys should think of having create a custom bulletin board? It would take a long time for sure, so I don't think that's much of a choice, just suggesting :)

It just wouldn't be worth the hassle to design and implement your own forum software. In buying software from another company you get the advantage of technical support. Also, it's nice to able to blame someone else when things go belly up.

Wait, i'll check on the testsite

The database is down. But i mean were replies to forumposts get bundled together rather then it just gets put at the end of the thread.

I think you're gettin yourself confused with between LINEAR and OUTLINE view which is a feature.

And it's not a default feature to have the reply posts in outline format. Think that was actually a Google/Neowin issue once the forums had been restored back. The default mode is to have them displayed in linear which is what most people will know.

I think you're gettin yourself confused with between LINEAR and OUTLINE view which is a feature.

And it's not a default feature to have the reply posts in outline format. Think that was actually a Google/Neowin issue once the forums had been restored back. The default mode is to have them displayed in linear which is what most people will know.

Indeed :yes:

petrossa, is this what you mean?

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=179641

If so, that is not the default setting and is a setting in the UserCP (in IPB3). If somebody sets to view posts in 'Outline' view, the posts will display threaded, as shown.

Thats what happened to me the other day, however it was like that after a short downtime in the forums (I think Simon or Dave were messing about with something) but anyway it defaulted to that view.

Indeed :yes:

petrossa, is this what you mean?

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=179641

If so, that is not the default setting and is a setting in the UserCP (in IPB3). If somebody sets to view posts in 'Outline' view, the posts will display threaded, as shown.

Tnx, color me stupid? :blush:

i had it linear in the old, i guess it defaulted on the testsite to nonlinear

kut.jpg

Tnx, color me stupid? :blush:

i had it linear in the old, i guess it defaulted on the testsite to nonlinear

No worries :) You're not stupid - it's an easy thing to miss if you don't know about it :happy:

What's the difference between 'linear+' and 'Standard' then?

Linear+ displays the first post of the thread at the top of every page, but other than that, posts are displayed the same as Standard view. I prefer Linear+ :)