• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[hobby] Psychology

Harreh    9

I've recently picked up a new hobby: Psychology.

Am currently reading a book called "How The Mind Works" by Steven Pinker and it's very fascinating stuff. The next book I've got is called "The Road Less Travelled" by M. Scott Peck which discusses "The New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values and Spiritual Growth.

What about you?

Razorwing    640

Well I"m taking Psych 101.. learning about the brain , Neurons, Neurontransmitters.. very interesting stuff actually. Not my field at all.. but I had to take the course..

Arkaic    21

As far as me I'm in school for psychiatry/psychology. bummer, :laugh: .

seriously though it's great and I love it. yay eventually in like forever and half million+ debt I'll be a treating psychiatrist. :)

I also want to get involved in this work considering "love" is a "necessary instinct" to a degree, it sure would explain stalker's alot and their delusion the attention they provide is wanted. Yea I think I might specialize in emergency psychiatry with some psychological interventions in the state institutions.

It's my niche in life.

Kondrath    107

I took a college-level course of Psych last year in High School. It was great. I'd probably get into a career involving it if I didn't have to go to school for so many years...

I love to "profile" people by reading their movements and analyzing the things that they say and do. Most of the time I can gather who a person is very quickly...I love doing it. I think I'd be a part of the Behavioral Analysis Unit in the FBI if it were anything like Criminal Minds :laugh:

+John.    1,395

I've always been a people watcher. It's helped me become really close friends with people by knowing how and what they need in life. Very interesting field of work.

MeLoveYouLongTime    1

I've always been a people watcher. It's helped me become really close friends with people by knowing how and what they need in life. Very interesting field of work.

Any good books to help get started? Psychology is a fun topic, would like to learn more :)

Harreh    9

Any good books to help get started? Psychology is a fun topic, would like to learn more :)

I'm not going to reccomend the book I'm reading, "How The Mind Works" as it's pretty heavy. There are much more accessible books out there no doubt but I quite like the style of this book nontheless.

And people watchng is practically why I'm interested in this stuff. Social dynamics is where the good stuff's at :).

Harreh    9

Cool, The Freud Reader is in my uni's library. Will have to check it out when I get the time :).

jwt    1

Any of you out there who are reading or listening who are studying in the field of psychology... I would like to know your thoughts on CBT vs Medication.

I've been ill for years now, CBT helped more initially much more noticably than medication. So I just want to hear other opinions on the subject.

ck2k01    0

I'm a first year graduate student in clinical psychology and law (joint program). Like others have said, it's the only field I ever really found myself interested in.