Homoeopathy sceptics plan mass 'overdose'

Homoeopathy sceptics plan mass 'overdose'

In what is being billed as "rationalism's Kool-Aid moment", a mass "overdose" is being planned next week in protest at the marketing of homoeopathic medicines.

More than 300 people who style themselves as "homoeopathy sceptics" will each swallow an entire bottle of homoeopathic pills in protest at the continued marketing of homoeopathic medicines by Boots, the high street chemist chain.

The protest is due to take place at 10.23am on Saturday 30 January. It is organised by the "10.23 Group", who take their name from Avogadro's constant, which they claim proves that homoeopathy cannot work.

Avogadro's constant ? roughly 10 to the 23rd power ? places an upper limit, broadly speaking, on the number of molecules in a given volume of liquid or gas.

Successive dilutions used in the preparation of homoeopathic remedies reduce the amount of the original ingredient beyond this number, with the result that not a single molecule remains.

This has always been the sticking point for scientists who express bafflement at the notion that a homoeopathic "tincture", which contains not a single molecule of the active ingredient from which it was made, can have any effect.

In response, homoeopaths describe the process of repeatedly diluting and shaking a remedy as "potentisation", in which the influence of the active ingredient is transferred to the tincture. The water thus retains a "memory" of the substance.

In an open letter to Boots last November, the 10.23 Group wrote: "The majority of people do not have the time or inclination to check whether the scientific literature supports the claims of efficacy made by products such as homoeopathy. We trust brands such as Boots to check the facts for us, to provide sound medical advice that is in our interest, and supply only those products with a demonstrable medical benefit. We don't expect to find products on the shelf at our local pharmacy which do not work."

The letter also warned that the products could be dangerous if they led patients to delay seeking proper medical assistance because they believed homoeopathy could treat their condition.

There is a long tradition in science of researchers experimenting on themselves to prove a remedy works. But this will be the first time volunteers have swallowed pills to prove they don't.

If it turns out that there is something in them, then the guinea pigs may get their comeuppance. But they say their "overdose" will demonstrate that "these remedies, prepared according to a long-discredited 18th-century ritual, are nothing but sugar pills."

In England, an estimated 470,000 people use homoeopathic remedies every year. Branches of Boots carry shelves of remedies including arnica, nux vomica, pulsatilla and rhus tox in the "complementary medicine" section. The Queen, David Beckham and Geri Halliwell are among those said to swear by them.

The British Homeopathic Association claims that heightened public awareness of the dangers of chemicals in the food chain, growing resistance to antibiotics through over-use, and concerns about the side effects of conventional drugs, are contributing to a rethink about the way we live and how we seek to regain health.

Boots said in a statement: "We know that many people believe in the benefits of complementary medicines and we aim to offer the products we know our customers want."

The Independent

A "massive overdose" is likely to do next to nothing. Try the same with pharmaceuticals if you dare... So, why do people hate on homeopathy so much when it's obviously safer?! Oh yeah, that's right, peer pressure and mind control are powerful.

A "massive overdose" is likely to do next to nothing. Try the same with pharmaceuticals if you dare... So, why do people hate on homeopathy so much when it's obviously safer?! Oh yeah, that's right, peer pressure and mind control are powerful.

Of course Homeopaty is safer, its nothing but water and sugar. The point is the retailer is selling it as if it is a medicine with the associated benefits.

Of course Homeopaty is safer, its nothing but water and sugar. The point is the retailer is selling it as if it is a medicine with the associated benefits.

Which is why this makes no sense. They don't worry about overdosing because it's near impossible, but that doesn't make it "water and sugar". Just because it's not similar to what you've been programmed to trust doesn't make it bad. I've met people that could make you feel better using way "crazier" methods, but they did work. It might be in your head, but your mind is so powerful it will make it so. There are proven healing effects of placebo, although I am NOT suggesting homeopathy is a placebo. The problem is that there is just as many bad "mainstream" treatments as there are "alternative" ones. The only difference is that the mainstream ones have used their money to brainwash the average person into only trusting mainstream treatments. It also goes the other way, with the alternatives trying to stop the users from using mainstream treatments. Bottom line is if it works for you that is all that matters. Try both if you want, being close-minded will not help you when trying to find a cure to whatever ails you.

People hate on homeopathy because it's not even medicine.

• Like 1

Don't give opinion about something you don't know. Just because it doesn't contain chemicals doesn't mean it isn't medicine and is just "water and sugar".

People hate on homeopathy because it's not even medicine.

Try then tell.

Homeopathy works perfectly. If you don't agree then maybe you haven't used it. I am using homeopathy medicines from childhood and it has cured all my diseases. It works like tablets but without the side effects. It's also easy on the body. And it works quickly also. I have seen its effects on me and my family. It has cured diseases which "normal" doctors giving tablets wasn't able to cure. :yes:

The amount of ignorancy on these boards are appaling :o. Homeopathy is not just water and sugar. I was skeptical when I started with homeopathy but then soon enough I got better.

At least someone's trying to show the crazies the truth.

Are theings like reike and accupuncture considered homeopathy? If so, I can verify that they do work. If not - sorry for barking up the wrong tree.

Personally my opinion on this is that it does work but through suggestion a placebo rather than the actual make up of the fluids, this is not to say that anyone has the right to go out of their way to rubbish it.

Putting a cap on what they can sell it as and the price is a better idea, why ruin everyone's view of it? If it works for some people then it's not up to you to selfishly dispute it to everyone especially in such a childish manner!

Are theings like reike and accupuncture considered homeopathy? If so, I can verify that they do work. If not - sorry for barking up the wrong tree.

no acupuncture is considered holistic medicine.

Don't give opinion about something you don't know. Just because it doesn't contain chemicals doesn't mean it isn't medicine and is just "water and sugar".

erm, yes it is, if the only molecules in a bottle are H2O molecules than that bottle contains only water. Nothing more, nothing less.

i cant wait for the day we get to the bottom of this ... if homeopathy really does work, and more importantly how ...

in a way i think those people trying to 'overdose' themselves are actually going to promote the no-side-effectness of homeopathic medicine, and make more people want to buy it...

erm, yes it is, if the only molecules in a bottle are H2O molecules than that bottle contains only water. Nothing more, nothing less.

You need to read this. :yes:

erm, yes it is, if the only molecules in a bottle are H2O molecules then that bottle contains only water. Nothing more, nothing less.

Just because you're ignorant about something doesn't mean it's wrong.

I never believed in it either tbh

I don't believe in America. Now what :o :p ?

You need to read this. :yes:

And? I read it but it doesn't explain anything in a scientific way. You can believe whatever you want and yeah homeopathic remidies can help people but don't try and make out homeopathy has some scientific basis because it doesn't, there's no active ingredient only magic.

You can believe whatever you want and yeah homeopathic remidies can help people but don't try and make out homeopathy has some scientific basis because it doesn't, there's no active ingredient only magic.

Read my reply above.

Homeopathy works perfectly. If you don't agree then maybe you haven't used it.

Used it over a decade, didn't work, disprove that :)

Not saying anything in particular about homoeopathy, I just hate the "If you don't agree is because you don't know it" mentality. Such mentality screams "I am right and you are ignorant".

Exactly right, it doesn't contain any chemicals at all.

Apart from Dihydrogen Monoxide that is.