Homoeopathy sceptics plan mass 'overdose'

hdood

Who are you talking to, and what point are you trying to make??

iamawesomewicked

You do realize that most medicine comes from some chemical they found in some plant, fungi, animal, insect, or even humans, right?

And homeopathic medicine is so diluted that it's not even considered to be medicinal any more.

Tom

what... ?

hdood

And homeopathic medicine is so diluted that it's not even considered to be medicinal any more.

Yeah, or anything at all!

True homeopathic remedies are so diluted that they (luckily) don't even contain any of the absurd ingredients they use. There's literally nothing in them. It isn't "herbal" or "natural" or anything like that. It's based on the idea that water has memory and somehow remembers and changes because it has been in contact with a certain ingredient even though not a single particle of said ingredient is still present. This is obviously nonsense to anyone with half a brain. If it were true, drinking tap water would kill you.

All this is of course ignoring the nature of the ingredients they use, which are based on the idea that "like cures like" and that whatever is found to cause the same symptoms as the ailment is also what cures it. In other words, you cure lead poisoning with lead, and make sleeping pills with caffeine. This is nonsense as well.

Homeopathy is one of those things that you need to put into perspective. It makes no sense today, but might have made more sense back in the old days when they really didn't understand medicine and how the body worked. Many "conventional" treatments literally were poison and just ended up killing you. With that in mind, it's not hard to see why people would like homeopathy. It may not do anything, but it doesn't kill you either.

hdood

no acupuncture is considered holistic medicine.

Also known as complete nonsense. It is based on the idea that the body has various energy channels (meridians) that can be manipulated by poking needles into them. The one for your heart, for instance, stretches from your armpit to your pinkie. This is not science, this is fantasy. No such thing exists in the human body, which means that the very premise acupuncture is based on is false. It is right up there with homeopathy, chiropractic, and so on.

The only place where acupuncture has shown anything even close to doing anything is as a short-term painkiller, but then that is a very subjective field. It has also been shown that it doesn't matter where you poke them with the needles, it's just the act of doing it. That means it isn't even acupuncture, it's just randomly sticking needles into people.

mudslag

Also known as complete nonsense. It is based on the idea that the body has various energy channels (meridians) that can be manipulated by poking needles into them. The one for your heart, for instance, stretches from your armpit to your pinkie. This is not science, this is fantasy. No such thing exists in the human body, which means that the very premise acupuncture is based on is false. It is right up there with homeopathy, chiropractic, and so on.

The only place where acupuncture has shown anything even close to doing anything is as a short-term painkiller, but then that is a very subjective field. It has also been shown that it doesn't matter where you poke them with the needles, it's just the act of doing it. That means it isn't even acupuncture, it's just randomly sticking needles into people.

Placebo effect,

Solid Knight

Who are you talking to, and what point are you trying to make??

Several people were crying about how non-homeopathic medicine contains chemicals and weren't found in nature thus you shouldn't take it. The statement is stupid for two reasons: chemicals make up everything you ingest thus they might as well be complaining that medicine contains atomic particles and most medicine is derived from chemicals found in nature.

Oh, and to the guy who claimed that homeopathy has cured all his ailments: you know I got over many illnesses without taking anything. I guess doing nothing is the cure-all to all problems. Got cancer? Do nothing. Got the flu? Do nothing. Got tuberculosis? Do nothing.

By the way, did you ever get something serious like tuberculosis and manage to cure it with homeopathy? How about AIDS? Did you manage to cure that too?

mudslag

Several people were crying about how non-homeopathic medicine contains chemicals and weren't found in nature thus you shouldn't take it. The statement is stupid for two reasons: chemicals make up everything you ingest thus they might as well be complaining that medicine contains atomic particles and most medicine is derived from chemicals found in nature.

Im a little confused here with exactly what point it is you are trying to make. Just because something is natural or not doesnt mean its safe. Just trying to get a better understanding on your point.

You can't overdose on homeopathy, so this is pointless. Just because it doesn't kill you from overdose doesn't mean it doesn't work! This is what you call a logical fallacy.

Who says you cant overdose? You can overdose on water, you can overdose on anything if taken to much.

mudslag

Then how do you explain the long lifespans of prior civilizations? :) Diseases didn't just appear on the scene in the 18th century last time I checked. lol.

Long lifespans of which prior civilizations? Can you show how homoeopathy was responsible?

Solid Knight

Im a little confused here with exactly what point it is you are trying to make. Just because something is natural or not doesnt mean its safe. Just trying to get a better understanding on your point.

I am aware that chemicals can be hazardous to you. The point was that some people implied that medicine was solely constructed out of artificial chemicals (things you don't find in nature) when in fact most of them are.

CentralDogma

Who says you cant overdose? You can overdose on water, you can overdose on anything if taken to much.

Fun fact: Even with the high quantities of caffeine in today?s energy drink, if you attempted to overdose on it, you would die from water poisoning long before you overdosed on caffeine.

mudslag

I am aware that chemicals can be hazardous to you. The point was that some people implied that medicine was solely constructed out of artificial chemicals (things you don't find in nature) when in fact most of them are.

I understand

Fun fact: Even with the high quantities of caffeine in today?s energy drink, if you attempted to overdose on it, you would die from water poisoning long before you overdosed on caffeine.

Unless you pop caffeine pills ;)

CentralDogma

Unless you pop caffeine pills ;)

Well of course, I meant energy drink/sodas.

Yusuf M.

Actually, one of the symptoms of [acute] caffeine overdose is frequent urination (thanks to caffeine's diuretic effect on the body). So, you'd probably feel the effects of caffeine overdose well before you'd feel the effects of water poisoning.

As for homeopathy, basic knowledge of chemistry should be enough to tell you that it's unfounded.

carmatic

As for homeopathy, basic knowledge of chemistry should be enough to tell you that it's unfounded.

but then homeopathy supporters would hit back with their quantum mechanical arguments...?

The_Decryptor

Basic knowledge of quantum mechanics would be enough to tell you that it's unfounded.

:p

mokthraka

im not expert, but isnt it skeptic? not sceptic?

carmatic

im not expert, but isnt it skeptic? not sceptic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences#Miscellaneous_spelling_differences

The American spelling, akin to Greek, was preferred by Fowler, and is used by many Canadians, where it is the earlier form.[136] Sceptic also pre-dates the European settlement of the US, and it follows the French sceptique and Latin scepticus. In the mid-18th century, Dr. Johnson's dictionary listed skeptic without comment or alternative, but this form has never been popular in the UK;[137] sceptic, an equal variant in the old Webster's Third (1961), has now become "chiefly British". Australians generally follow the British usage (with the notable exception of the Australian Skeptics). All of these versions are pronounced with a hard "c", though in French that letter is silent and the word is pronounced like septique.
mudslag

Well of course, I meant energy drink/sodas.

My point was to s1k3sT that you can overdose on pretty much anything, he was saying you couldnt OD on subject matter.

TrueMonolith

My point was to s1k3sT that you can overdose on pretty much anything, he was saying you couldnt OD on subject matter.

its not called OD with water.

its called drowning.

hdood

Fair enough. I do not think most of the believers even understand what a chemical is. They also don't seem to understand that synthesizing the relevant ingredient in something found in nature makes it safer, not more dangerous.

its not called OD with water.

its called drowning.

No, drowning is suffocation. It means your lungs fill with water and you can't get oxygen. "Overdosing" on water on the other hand, causes an electrolyte imbalance which leads to brain cell damage and eventually kills you.

+Dick Montage
No, drowning is suffocation. It means your lungs fill with water and you can't get oxygen.

Which is what I said - it's physical, not chemical...

hdood

Which is what I said - it's physical, not chemical...

Yes, I hit reply before you posted. I was ninja'd real good.